* Ideas for Naming and sorting custom queries?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ideas for Naming and sorting custom queries?

Post by E Wilcock »

I wonder what experienced fh users do about listing and thus finding and reusing their custom queries?

When I click on the query title bar arrow I get a massive list of queries.
At first glance I dont see any difference between the standard and custom queries, nor the different types of query (individual and fact).
Each query has a description field. Is it possible to search these, using the fh text search? I have tried and think not.

Some custom queries are my own failed attempts to write a previous query. So I must delete those. But I would also like to clarify the naming.
How do other people name their queries?

Do other users re-use their queries? I have found it quicker to write a new query than to track down and use an old one. And that just adds a new one to my list and as I am in a hurry I dont name it or describe it properly.

Time to reform. And I would welcome suggestions.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ideas for Naming and sorting custom queries?

Post by tatewise »

The same question could be asked about custom Diagrams, Text Schemes, Reports, Plugins, etc.

Firstly, in the Query title drop-list all custom Queries end in the word (custom) so that is a clue :D
(Similarly all custom Text Schemes end with (custom) too.)
Also on the right it says either Custom Query or Standard Query (read only).

You are correct that you cannot search for text in the Description field in a Query, but that would only work if you were diligent enough to write those Descriptions, and in that case you'd probably take more care with naming the Queries.
You admit you fail on both counts. What is that old saying "More haste less speed"?

Tip: Select the General tab in the Query Window then as you select each Query name all its details such as Type and Description are immediately shown.

The general advice is to be consistent & meaningful, similar to naming any FH Records or Windows Filenames.
Have a naming scheme and stick to it.
To organise Windows Files you can group them into folders, but you cannot do that with Queries, etc.
Instead, start all related Query names with the same keyword so they are grouped together.
BTW: To rename a Query use the Query Menu > Save As Custom Query and give it the new name, and subsequently use Delete Custom Query to remove the old Query.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Mike is right about the consistent naming but sometimes you have a small number custom queries which you use regularly and you want the name to "jump right out at you". For these I add a $ sign (any other non- alphanumeric would do) to the front of the name which puts them up to the top of the list

David
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

DavidNewton wrote:Mike is right about the consistent naming but sometimes you have a small number custom queries which you use regularly and you want the name to "jump right out at you". For these I add a $ sign (any other non- alphanumeric would do) to the front of the name which puts them up to the top of the list

David
I totally agree! I generally use the underscore(s) as a prefix, to lift them to the top of the sorted list.
NB A double underscore prefix sorts higher than a single underscore prefix.

This is a good method that can be put to good use wherever you have an alphabetical list. It can be used for Report Names, Queries, as well as filenames and folders in Windows.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Have to say, I do reuse some queries and have them named accordingly (eg "Individuals with Fact =" and "Family with Fact =") so that I can go in and modify them to meet a current need. This came about because, as Evelyn says, you end with a very long list of Custom Queries if you save every one, and with all likelihood that many will never be used again!.

It would be useful, I think, if Calico could come up with some sort of sub-folder type of control on the two lists.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree