* Font Sizes Lifespan and Divider lines

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
jsphillips
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Font Sizes Lifespan and Divider lines

Post by jsphillips »

Hi, although I have, and still have 4 genealogy programs including Family Historian I have had difficulty in finding a solution to the following :-
1. In Diagrams to be able to specify the font, it seems to alter in many place but not in the diagrams themselves. The Forenames and Surnames are very spidery and I want to use say Bold Times etc. in the Diagrams. In preferences they seem to alter many items but not the Ancestor/Descendant diagrams etc

2. In the Diagrams I wish to be able to insert after the name a Lifespan BBBB-DDD on a line

3. After this above but before the b m & d data a Divider line as in FTM 2014

4 Can someone give me the settings that allows the diagrams to start say on the 2nd or 3rd lines of the paper I have specified 0.0 top margin? but it appear if I use the bars to be still 6 of the dark and light grey bars before the boxes appear. Its the position of page in diagram units that would help based on default scaling of 100%

5. I wish in may cases to move a singular box on a diagram not the row or any other boxes attached or branches. I have tried this with the sibling setting but it affects more than 1 box? Also to be able to have some boxes (which have more long place names) wider than others?

Thanks any help appreciated

I have reviewed all the tools/videos and have the book. Also have used the program over many years. But Roots Magic & FTM 2014 all allow the above.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Font Sizes Lifespan and Divider lines

Post by Jane »

You can do all of the above, I 'll answer a couple

1. Most text schemes have a Font setting and then change the font using a font line. Set the font and remove or change the font line as wanted.
2018-08-03_152805.jpg
2018-08-03_152805.jpg (92.71 KiB) Viewed 12472 times
2. Add =lifedates() to the end of the expression for the Name line
e.g %INDI.NAME:FULL% (=GetContextInfo(DGM_MARR_INSTANCE)) =LifeDates()
3. Just add a custom item with ________________ in the value to what ever width you want.
2018-08-03_152955.jpg
2018-08-03_152955.jpg (76.11 KiB) Viewed 12472 times
4. Adjust the pages in relation to the diagram, by showing the page boundaries and aligning them as you want them.
5. To move a single box turn on Moving and Sizing and you can then drag boxes around with box and bar selected.
2018-08-03_153704.jpg
2018-08-03_153704.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 12472 times
5a. Use the diagram dimensions tab to adjust the maximum box width, while leaving the minimum. You can also simply turn on the enable Moving and Sizing and select a box and drag to make bigger.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

All of the above is covered in the Getting The Most book and in the Videos on the FH site.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To be more specific, in Getting the Most From Family Historian see Chapter 9. Setting the Style, Layout & Content of Diagrams and Chapter 11. Scaling & Printing Diagrams.

Also with Diagram displayed, press the F1 keyboard key to get Help page for Diagram Window.
Click the [+] icons on the left to expose all Help pages and review the Text Tab and other tab features.

3. When adding a <Custom Item...> for a horizontal line, take care with the number of underline characters you enter.
If too many, then the underlines will wrap over multiple lines. So enter too few, and set Alignment to Centred.

4. If your Diagram will fit onto one page, then use Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and select the Adjust PDF File Page Size so that Diagram fits onto One Page, then print the resulting PDF file.
See how_to:creating_a_single_page_pdf_of_a_diagram|> Single Page PDF of a Diagram.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you VERY much Jane & Mike I take it that I can make Life span come up under the name in all charts ?
JS Phillips
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, and there are actually two ready made Life Dates options in the left-hand Available Items.
Just insert one of them after the Name item.
The Life Dates (est.) variant will use estimated dates if actual dates are not available.

Note that this puts the dates on a new line by default, whereas Jane added them after the Name of the same line.

Use the same Text Scheme in all Diagrams to get the same effect, or add Life Dates to other Text Schemes.

I strongly advise you don not Edit standard Text Schemes.
Instead Clone the standard scheme and Edit the (custom) copy.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks Mike
I did a little of this with your help about 5 years ago and memory fades. I understand the clone.

2 further questions if ok ?
1 on the default it appears to colour the boxes of ancestors and descendants with different colours where is this setting to put back both to black and white ?
2 when two boxes are linked by marriage the line joining them is so close there is no room hardly between I would like to add 1mm to 2mm gap with the line pls
Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

1. The Fill colour for each Box Type is defined on the Boxes tab. Simply delete that Box Type condition.
  2. On the Dimensions tab increase Between spouses (minimum) as required.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks all done with great help from you and from chapter 9
Still having difficulty in that I want to have Name and Life Dates in BOLD in box ......but NOT births marriages and deaths in box which should remain as Regular.
I only want the Life Dates and Name in bold... nothing else anywhere.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Sorry forgot to mention the Name in box males is blue and females red and same apply to Life Dates but cannot find where to make this Bold Red or Bold blue
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

At the beginning of this thread Jane identified the Initial Font where you can << Select the style Bold instead of Regular.
That will apply down to the first <font = ...> item that determines subsequent text font & style for such as B, M & D.

BTW: The default Text Colour of the Initial Font is set by the Boxes tab option for Sex condition Features.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thank you
All very ok
saved chart and defaults I thought
When I open a different person within the same project though not all the defaults appear to apply
Can I take the one I applied to one chart so that for every thing applies to all all charts
Perhaps even for other projects as well. i.e. an overall all singing all dancing BMD chart
Best regards
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It depends on what you actually save and how you save it.

Do you understand the difference between FH Working Diagrams and Saved Charts?
If not then see the FH Help for Working Diagrams and Charts.

A Chart saves both the settings and the root Individual(s) for the included tree(s).

To preserve Working Diagram settings for re-use with a different root Individual use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type and give it a memorable name to be retrieved using View > Custom Diagram Types.
This is the same concept as using Clone on a standard Text Scheme to preserve its default settings.
All the standard Diagram types should retain their default settings.

You cannot necessarily apply all settings to ALL Diagrams/Charts because some settings only apply to certain Diagram Types.
However, you can use the same Diagram Type with any root Individuals.

In general, virtually ALL custom settings apply to ALL Projects (at least on the same PC).
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

thanks
a little confusing
I just wanted under the BMD text option to apply also to extended diagrams so that whenever I use Ancestor & Descendant option (now cloned and edited and used as default) it applied and also to different projects. ie a catch all !!
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

If you open your preferred custom diagram on an individual, then choose the menu option Diagram>Settings> save as default settings.
Your diagram style will then be used in all projects.
At any point you can choose to revert to installation settings.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

But that 'preferred custom diagram' (saved as a Custom Diagram Type) can be used on ALL Project anyway, so there is no need to force its settings into the standard defaults, which can lead to confusion when the default Help and Tutorials do not match with the standard Diagram defaults.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks once again for all your help
One last question
How do I insert submitter data into the chart if I have set up the submitter data, preferably in a box with small fonts

I have looked at Insert in the book and on help file no help there.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

By Submitter Data I presume you are referring to records shown in the Records Window on the Submitters tab?

You need to use Diagram > Insert into Diagram > Text Box and use its Diagram > Format options.

For example, if the Text tab holds Submitter Name: =Record(1,"U") it will show the 1st Submitter Name.
Submitter Name: =FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.NAME') will do the same, but substituting different Data Refs instead of 'SUBM.NAME' will show other fields.

I WAS MISTAKEN, SO IGNORE THE FOLLOWING:
BUT such a Text Box is NOT saved in a Custom Diagram Type, so you will have to create a Chart and subsequently Select, Copy & Paste the Text Box from Chart to Chart.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Mike, as far as I was aware Text boxes are saved with Custom Diagram Types, since V6 anyway. It's why you can create custom diagrams such as the ones in the Knowledge base based entirely on boxes. With dynamic trees they need moving around, but they are there.
Jane
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Most other programs have this facility.
i.e. you create the full submitter detail in a box, Name,1st line address, 2nd. line address, County, Zip Code, Country, Land line,
then there is a facility to move this box around.
Surely if it works the best way would be off line create the submitter detail and save as a jpeg. Then in the text box insert jpeg file.
Would this not work ?
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

I have only just noticed I had brought this up before earlier in the year and I apologise for bringing this up again. (need better brain) Also I had sent a request to Calico direct.
I have not tried this but my suggestion of creating a text file and saving as a jpeg and then inserting into a text box might work
thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Profuse apologies. I was mistaken. Every Text Box is saved to any Custom Diagram Type.
So just add a Text Box and via its Format option insert something like the following on its Text tab:

Submitter Details
Name: =FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.NAME')
Phone: =FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.PHON')
E-mail: =FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM._EMAIL')
Address:
=FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.ADDR')
=FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.ADDR.ADR1')
=FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.ADDR.ADR2')
=FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM.ADDR.STAE')
etc...

You may need some variants on that theme depending on exactly what details you need.
Also there are more complex functions that automatically omit labels such as Phone: and E-mail: when those details don't exist.
e.g.
=CombineText( "E-mail: ", FieldText(Record(1,"U"), 'SUBM._EMAIL') )

As you say, the Text Box can be easily be resized and dragged to where you need it in the final Diagram.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks Mike
I have been experimenting
I thought either by creating a word created docx file (saved on Dektop) I could just insert its text into the text box by copy and pasting . It does not like this !!!
or by taking a photo of the info above then resaving as a jpeg file and inserting as a photo in footer....this is difficult to size etc.
The simplest way until Calico make this possible within program is to create 2 Text boxes in a diagram
First one for Title , second one by handtyping in Text Box all the data and place somwhere at bottom of chart. although the lineeage is a bit awkward.
All a little unnecessary when by creating your basic submitter data for each project it can be inserted if required into any chart !!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Why did the Copy & Paste from Word to the Text Box via its Format command Text tab not work for you?
It worked perfectly for me.
Tip: You cannot Copy & Paste directly into the box, you must right-click and chose Format first.
That is because a Text Box is much more sophisticated than just a box of plain text.

Why don't you like the FieldText(...) function Text Box solution I proposed earlier?
That will automatically insert the basic Submitter data for each Project in any Diagram as you requested.
jsphillips
Megastar

Post by jsphillips »

Thanks
I forgot the format command. My fault.
It seems easier to just type direct into text box as each time I edit the diagram I like date and time also inserted to distinguish which one was the last version
Thanks for all your help , it would still be nice for Calico to create 1. an automatic title which could be edited if necessary and 2 a submitter box containing all the data required with "printed by "Family Historian version 6.27" date and time