* Query to Identify Totally Unlinked Individuals

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Query to Identify Totally Unlinked Individuals

Post by rfj1001 »

I was tidying up my database and randomly came across a couple of individuals that had neither links to others nor useful info in their own record to identify them. I guess there'll be many more built up over the years.

So I've been trying to customise the No Family as Child query that I downloaded this morning from the FHUG website but can't get the logic to work.

I'm trying to end up with a record set that :

excludes if there are partner(s)
/and/ exclude if there are parent(s)
/and/ exclude if there are children
... /and,/ possibly, exclude if there are attached siblings.

Can SKS help point me in the right direction

Many thanks

Rob
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Query to Identify Totally Unlinked Individuals

Post by Jane »

Have you tried just running the Search For Orphans standard query? It shows everyone, but if you sort by pool number, the orphans and small clusters of people will have different pool numbers.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the reply. I tried that query and if I search the pool numbers for a single line entry then I've got a potential orphan. I can then check manually whether there is anything in the persons record to suggest it should be kept or deleted. So, on an individual basis that works :)

/Unfortunately/, as you mention in your post, the query displays everyone which gives just over 11,000 entries for me to check - so still too big a task.

I'm wondering if the FH query language is such that a modification to the standard query I used could identify pool numbers with only one line entry. Just a thought, but beyond my expertise I'm afraid
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try the attached Search For Orphans 2 that excludes all Individuals with any Spouse or Parent family links.
Attachments
Search For Orphans 2.fhq
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

rfj1001 wrote:Hi Jane,

/Unfortunately/, as you mention in your post, the query displays everyone which gives just over 11,000 entries for me to check - so still too big a task.

I'm wondering if the FH query language is such that a modification to the standard query I used could identify pool numbers with only one line entry. Just a thought, but beyond my expertise I'm afraid
If you click on the heading for Pool number, they sort is ascending order. If, however, you Alt-Click, they sort in descending order, so the main unrelated ones appear at the top. Whilst the top ones won’t all be single line entries, you can quickly scroll down to identify the ones you wish to delete.

By coincidence, I went throught this exercise this morning, and it only took about 10 minutes to remove a few hundred unrelated individuals :D ( my tree contains about 17,000 individuals)
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Mike (Tatewise)

Thought I would try this query and was surprised to find that I had over 500 orphans in my project of just over 5000 individuals. Having wondered how I had accumulated so many I then realised that if I then filtered out those that were entered as part of a census the numbers dropped to just over 200 and then filtered again for witnesses, the list came down to 20 names.

The OP might find it useful to do something similar, and, depending on want he wants to achieve, his list might drop dramatically or at least he will know how he has so many orphans.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Brian, it would be quite easy to amend the Query to exclude Witnesses by using:
Exclude unless %INDI.~SHAR[1]>% is null

To exclude those who are part of a Census then use such as:
Exclude unless %INDI.CENS[1].SOUR[1]>% is null
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Exactly how I did it :D

Sorry I should have posted those amendments myself.

Brian
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks All for the contributions.

Mike, your query - particularly with the life dates column, was all I needed :). It gave me a list of c40 people.

Most of those entries were for peoples where I just have a burial record. I haven't yet been able to establish parentage for them but given they come from records of very small parishes where my ancestors lived its probable they are related in some way - so I need to keep these.

That just left me with 4 - 3 orphans to be deleted and 1 executor of a will who will be related to the deceased, but no info yet as to how.

Problem solved :)

Tx again to all.