* Missing function in Project Window > More Tasks

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
goodwin2
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Missing function in Project Window > More Tasks

Post by goodwin2 »

I'm currently using FH 6.2.7. In my Gedcom file tasks I have some 9 family trees listed. I want to delete 3 or 4 of them but retain those currently working on or still there for reference. One of them listed is my main tree with some 61,000 individuals. [Yes, it is backed up on the hard drive and an external back up utility with each use.] I noted that Jane has a "small utility clears out the Family Historian Recently Used Files list (from Gedcom Tasks on V4 onwards, File Menu on V3 and V2)."

There was something previously here on FHUG indicating that it should be possible to delete one of the files in Gedcom File Tasks apparently without Jane's utility. In my FH program there is not that option when I open Gedcom File Tasks.

I'm sure not going to delete anything as of now until I get more info re deleting those unwanted files in the Gedcom File Tasks list. I'm sure someone there with FHUG can help me with this --- you folks keep those of us less technically savvy from losing it when these "can't find a way to do it" things come up.
GSB
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Missing function in Project Window > More Tasks

Post by Valkrider »

In the project window single click on the project you want to delete then select More Tasks then select Delete Project.

Make sure you select the correct one.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Valkrider is referring to the File > Project Window but I think goodwin2 is referring to File > Gedcom File Tasks command.

Personally, I never use File > Gedcom File Tasks and only open Project GEDCOM via the File > Project Window which ratifies that the Project structure is valid.

The fhugdownloads:contents:clean_out_the_recent_file_list|> Utility ~ Clean Out the Recent File List will clear the Windows Registry entries where the File > Gedcom File Tasks list is held. There are Windows Registry editors that would allow specific entries in the list to be deleted, but don't go there!

Assuming each GEDCOM is actually embedded in a Project, then you could run the above utility to clear the list, and then open each Project in turn via the File > Project Window to repopulate the list with current GEDCOM files.
BUT why bother? Just get used to opening them via the File > Project Window instead of File > Gedcom File Tasks.
It is much the same number of mouse clicks.

If they really are standalone GEDCOM files, then use the File > Gedcom File Tasks > Open Gedcom File command once for each file to repopulate the list.

However, I may have misunderstood what was requested.
Is it just the list entries that you want cleared, or the actual GEDCOM files deleted?
To delete the GEDCOM files and the associated Project structure then the Valkrider solution is the answer.
If they are standalone GEDCOM files, they can only be deleted via Windows File Explorer, but don't forget any linked Media files.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Hopefully I can attach a couple of screen shots that will clarify my question. The list of Gedcom File Tasks has 9 files. I want to delete several of them from the list.

As you see in the project window, there is only the one project showing and the More Tasks button does not provide a way to delete anything on the list.

So ---- again, I'm clueless as to how to delete some of that list without inadvertently doing something that will delete any of the files I want to retain. And as mentioned before I do have many backups of my main file.

Suggestions gratefully accepted.

I've tried several times to attach the screen shots that I took but I get error messages that say
Invalid file extension: Project Window.pspimage. I don't have a solution to that either so let me know how else to get them into a message. Drag and drop did not work either.
GSB
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

For screeenshots use the snipping tool that comes with windows and it saves them as jpg's which will be displayed.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

or save them in jpg from your graphics program rather than in it's native format.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

I'm going to try to attach the two files again. Files say in JP2 File (.jp2) format but won't attach. I'll see if the snip it will work ---. FH closes out the Project list when I activate the snip tool. However did get it to do the project window. Ok says File too large (Max 256Kb): Project Window.JPG

Any other suggestions? I'll be closing down now - will get back to you folks next day.

Thanks again!!
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Screenshots are not required ~ I think we all understand what you are viewing.

What is not so clear is whether you just want to purge some shortcuts from the Gedcom File Tasks list, or whether you want to delete the associated GEDCOM files that the shortcuts refer to. I believe my earlier answer covers both those options.

The explanation for why there is no option in the File > Project Window > More Tasks is that, apart from your one main Project, those other GEDCOM files on the list are NOT Projects. So perhaps one solution is to convert those GEDCOM files into Projects? Then More Tasks will allow them to be managed.
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Guess I'm missing something here. I went into my project window, said New Project, imported one of the Gedcom files that I am trying to delete from the Gedcom File List, then when that was added as a project I selected Delete, said yes to deleting all files. It is STILL in the Gedcom File Tasks list. Have now done that 2 times with the same result.

I really want to get rid of some items on that list - do I have to live with it as is or is there something that I am doing wrong?
GSB
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Run the clean out Gedcom list plug, as Mike suggested near the start of the thread.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

Jane - I had hoped that your suggestion would work. I exported the two files that I want to keep in the file list to a separate file folder so that they could be imported back into FH without losing anything. I used the clean out Gedcom list plug - it ran. When I reopened FH the list was still there. I must be doing something REALLY stupid here. Needless to say I am about ready to tear hair!!! :?
GSB
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is essential that you Close FH before running Jane's program (it is not a Plugin).
Otherwise, when you do Close FH it will undo all the work done by running that program.

It may be necessary to right-click the fhclrmrulist.exe file, choose Run as administrator, and provide the Administrator password.

There is no need to copy GEDCOM files, because the program simply clears the Gedcom File Tasks list of shortcuts in the Windows Registry, and does nothing to the associated GEDCOM files.
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

FINALLY!! Thanks Mike. It usually is the little detail that is either the one that doesn't get done or done correctly so you don't get the result you want OR it is the one that fixes the problem. I now have a clean list!!

Again, many thanks to all the folks at FHUG who are so helpful.
GSB