* Problem upgrading to version 6.2.7

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dbs
Silver
Family Historian: None

Problem upgrading to version 6.2.7

Post by dbs »

While trying to upgrade FH to version 6.2.7 on my Windows 10 PC, I received the same message reported by “gerrynuk on Mon Jun06, 2016 2.26 pm” citing "MoveFile failed; code 183" (under topic “Updating to version 6.2.1”).
I clicked ‘Abort’ and tried to open FH again from the Task bar icon only to find ‘This shortcut no longer exists. Do you wish to delete it?’. I did so only to find the same thing happened when I clicked on FH in the Windows scrolling list of programs and thinking it would be reinstated when FH was run again, I deleted that also.
I then went to the FH web site and downloaded the update direct and, luckily, my FH reappeared and I have been able to pin the FH icon to the Task bar but FH has not reappeared in the Windows scrolling list of programs. Can anybody please tell me how I can replace the FH program there?
Many thanks in anticipation of help
Douglas
Gowermick
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Problem upgrading to version 6.2.7

Post by Gowermick »

Douglas,
One does wonder why you would want it on the menu button, if you already have it on your task bar? However, I believe that if you right click the taskbar icon, and select ‘Add to Menu’, that should accomplish what you want! I’m not at my PC, so may have got details slightly wrong.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Douglas, please do report the original problem to Calico Pie as it is happening too often.
See how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.

I think there is an option during installation to add FH to the Start Menu, so are you sure that was ticked?
Try restarting the PC and that Start Menu folder may appear. (Is it under Recently added at the top?)
If not, then re-install the same download using Run as administrator as explained in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems Introduction.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Douglas,

Do you by any chance use MalwareBytes Premium? Folks are reporting getting this same error code when doing automatic updates of other software. Just a thought. Could be completely unrelated to your problem.
Bill Henshaw
dbs
Silver

Post by dbs »

Many thanks Mike1, Mike2 & Bill for the very prompt replies to my query
Mike 1) I right-clicked the Task bar FH icon: Three options appear – Family Historian 6.2, Unpin from taskbar & close window. I right-clicked on FH 6.2, selected Properties & a tab appeared in a ‘Properties’ window for ‘Shortcut’ which appears to relate to normal opening of the program & has the words ‘Shortcut key – None’ but nothing to restore the FH opening icon to the Windows scrolling menu of all programs.
Mike 2) I will report the problem to Calico Pie as you suggest. The location the FH icon is missing from is the one which appears when the Windows key is pressed and a list of all the apps available appears & can be scrolled through. FH is still shown there but when left-clicking it the icon to open the program is not there although FH Help, Getting the most from FH & Read me icons are still there. It is intriguing as ‘FH 6.2.7’ is shown under Settings>Apps>Apps & features. In relation to the actual upgrade problem see my reply to Bill below which may have some relevance.
Bill) Yes, I do use Malwarebytes Premium but have not had a problem with any other updates. I will mention your comment when I email Calico Pie.
Thanks again to you all for your assistance
Best wishes
Douglas
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Douglas,

I had the same problem updating to 6.2.7 and have also had the same problem on a couple other automatic updates (updates from within the software) for other software. The problem doesn't appear for all automatic updates and never happens for manual updates. Malwarebytes has a beta fix available on their forum if you want to try that out. They say you can also disable the anti-ransomware option and it should work. I've not had another problem since they published this information so I haven't been able to test it. They said if it happens again to disable anti-ransomware or install the beta and then try it again and see if the update works.
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Douglas, try my suggestions for resurrecting the missing icon. (The one in the Start Menu invoked by pressing Windows key.)
i.e. Restart PC, and re-install FH using Run as administrator. (No need to uninstall existing FH.)
dbs
Silver

Post by dbs »

Thank you, Mike - Problem solved! Thank you also so much for the endless hours you must spend assisting other FH users - I always read the FHU emails with interest, applying your suggestions where relevant, and resorting to the Knowledge Base when required where I usually find the answer to the occasional problem that has occurred. Douglas
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Douglas,

Just wanted to let you know that since the latest Malwarebytes update, I have not had this same error code while updating other programs that I was unable to update before. So, it looks like the problem was indeed with Malwarebytes, not FH. We won't know for sure until the next FH update, but my guess is that the problem is corrected with the Malwarebytes update. I have reported this the Calico Pie as well.
Bill Henshaw
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

This prompts me to draw attention to a plugin produced by Jane (Create Individual Shortcut) that lets you create an FH start icon which creates a link on the Windows Desktop to open a selected Individual in a selected Project on either the Records Window or the Focus Window.

I've done this for three individuals in my main project and then dragged the icons to my start menu. It works well.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, have you posted in the correct thread, as that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed?
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Mike, part of the discussion was about the Start Icon for FH, which is why I thought I'd add this tidbit. I use it all the time now when starting FH to get me quickly to the person of interest, and I often add a new temporary icon if I'm doing a lot of work around one individual.

Feel free to delete my posts if you think they will confuse people.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)