* New update

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Helena
Silver
Family Historian: V7

New update

Post by Helena »

Hi

I just opened FH and a message flagged up stating there was a new update v6.1.2? I clicked to download but then received a message stating fh.exe (I think) had been moved and it couldn't download. I cancelled the update and it stated rolling back changes.

I went back into FH but got a message 'problem with shortcut. the item fh.exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work. Do you wish to delete this shortcut?'

It seem I now can now longer open FH even if I click on the GEDCOM file.

I do have FH v6 on CD which I purchased originally. If I reload this on my lap top, will it install the updates? I presume my files are ok? If I do reload how do I link back to my FH files?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: New update

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Helena.
It would be a good idea to report your problematic upgrade symptoms to Calico Pie using the how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting advice.

Your symptoms are very strange as the latest update is V6.2.7 (there never was a V6.1.2).
The best option is to follow the advice at fhugdownloads:contents:family_historian_6.x.y_upgrade|> Family Historian Version 6.2.7 Upgrade to download & install the latest update.

In the unlikely event that does not work OK, then re-install from your FH V6 CD, and repeat the above download & install.

Your Project data files and customisations should all be OK, but if not, they can be restored from your backups.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Helena
Silver

Post by Helena »

Sorry it was 6.2.7, I was only half looking when the message flagged up!

I have just followed your link to the update, downloaded the file and hey presto it is all working again! Don't know what happened.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is why I suggest you report the symptoms to Calico Pie, because that happens occasionally with the Auto-Update for unknown reasons, whereas the direct download & install always works OK.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Helena
Silver

Post by Helena »

Thanks just reported it