* Hyphenated Surnames

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Pollowick
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Hyphenated Surnames

Post by Pollowick »

I have a few double-barrelled or hyphenated surnames in some data bases and it is frustrating that they can be treated differently between individuals. In some cases the full name fits a single line and in others it requires two, however, quite often it will split the family name at the hyphen which does not look too nice.

For example: Ian Ken SMITH-JONES many go on one line, whereas, Stephen Lucas SMITH-JONES will split at the hyphen and Stephanie Alexandria SMITH-JONES has the family name on the second line.

Ian Ken SMITH-JONES
Stephen Lucas SMITH
...........-JONES
Stephanie Alexandria
......SMITH-JONES

The first and third are fine and happy to have both however, the second looks awful and unacceptable especially as the full surname would fit on the second line. And on some the box is increased in size to get the first half of the name on the first line rather than putting it all on the second

I could go and tweak box sizes for individuals, doing it globally changes which names appear in which format so not suitable. Is there a way to manage this niggle?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Hyphenated Surnames

Post by LornaCraig »

You could edit the text scheme so that the surname always appears on a new line. However this will apply globally to all names.

To do this, use Diagram Options > Text tab and start by making a Clone of the text scheme you are using. Then with the new clone scheme selected, click Edit.

Click the existing Name line on the right and click Edit below. Change the template to %INDI.NAME:GIVEN_ALL% Click OK. This will show the given names on one line.

Now Clone that line, and edit the template in the cloned version to %INDI.NAME:SURNAME% This will show the surname on the next line.
Lorna
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I don't think there is a switch for this, but I can think of a couple of work arounds.

1. Modify the text scheme to put the Given names on the first line and the surname on the second line as Lorna has already suggested.
2. Replace the hyphen with a tide ~, or an ─ (Alt number key pad 196) neither of which split as they are not hyphens, you can do a search and replace for the diagram and then undo once you have finished printing or saving it.

Edit to add – (Alt num key 8211) works really well as it looks a lot like a hyphen.

Another edit: If you hold down the hyphen key the extended character option pops up and you can select the second character to get the 8211 character.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can achieve what you want with some conditional Text Scheme items.
This combines the default one line full name with the two lines suggested for hyphenated surnames.

As has been advised, Clone your current Text Scheme and then Edit the copy.
In the Used Items on the right, select the Name item, and click Clone Line below.

Now Edit the 1st Name item and set its Template to:
=TextIf(ContainsText(%INDI.NAME:SURNAME%,"-",STD),%INDI.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%,%INDI.NAME:FULL%)
This tests the Surname for a hyphen, and either shows just the Given names, or the original Full name.

Now Edit the 2nd Name item and set its Template to:
=TextIf(ContainsText(%INDI.NAME:SURNAME%,"-",STD),%INDI.NAME:SURNAME%,"")
This similarly tests the Surname for a hyphen, and shows just that Surname, or nothing.

You may have to replicate that process for other Name items, such as Name (a.k.a.).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Jane wrote:Edit to add – (Alt num key 8211) works really well as it looks a lot like a hyphen.

Another edit: If you hold down the hyphen key the extended character option pops up and you can select the second character to get the 8211 character.
I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right kind of list, but while working on a website I came across a non-breaking hyphen among the characters that can be used. I found it useful for preventing a date such as 1800-1810 from splitting.

It's in a UTF-8 list as Dec 8209 or Hex 2011 - see https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_ ... uation.asp

Can that be used and/or added to the pop-up?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Yes you can add any characters, by editing using "Configure Language and Accent Characters" under the gear wheel on the Property box.
2018-06-13_144842.png
2018-06-13_144842.png (15.07 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just a word of warning.
If you use Unicode characters such as no-break-hyphen permanently in Surnames, etc, then there are side-effects.
In Narrative Reports no-break-hyphenated Surnames will force a new line, leaving a large white space at end of previous line.
In all Reports the caption on photos does NOT include those Unicode characters (which must be a bug)!
Those characters will not export satisfactorily to products that do NOT support Unicode (UTF-16 or UTF-8).
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Jane wrote:Yes you can add any characters, by editing using "Configure Language and Accent Characters" under the gear wheel on the Property box.
Thanks, Jane - but can you add characters without invoking the character map? I couldn't find the non-breaking hyphen in there.

Mike - I note your warnings, so maybe this would be something to do on an ad-hoc temporary basis if a chart seemed to need it, much as Jane suggested with the 8211 en-dash?

(This isn't an issue that I've come across myself in FH - I just offered the suggestion as something that I'd found useful in another context. I chose this for my website rather than the en-dash because it's the same width as a normal hyphen and looked better in a date range; the en-dash is wider.)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can add any characters you like to Configure Language & Accent Characters.
Initially you may want to use the Windows Character Map utility to select & copy, but once added to Configure Language & Accent Characters via its cog icon they are permanently customised for future use.
e.g
Hold down the - key so it repeats to get the extended characters popup.
Click its cog icon to open Configure Language & Accent Characters dialogue.
Scroll down and select - as the Hold Key then if necessary Open Character Map then use Edit to permanently add characters as per Jane's earlier screenshot. It should accept Alt key codes too.

No-break-hyphen is well down the character set for Tahoma, but another snag with this technique is that many character sets do NOT support all Unicode characters. What character set were you trying.
nobreakhyphen.png
nobreakhyphen.png (20.81 KiB) Viewed 8765 times
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

tatewise wrote:You can add any characters you like to Configure Language & Accent Characters.
Initially you may want to use the Windows Character Map utility to select & copy, but once added to Configure Language & Accent Characters via its cog icon they are permanently customised for future use.
e.g
Hold down the - key so it repeats to get the extended characters popup.
Click its cog icon to open Configure Language & Accent Characters dialogue.
Scroll down and select - as the Hold Key then if necessary Open Character Map then use Edit to permanently add characters as per Jane's earlier screenshot. It should accept Alt key codes too.
Manually typing Alt+2011 just gives me a big black square - the same is true whether I do it in the Configure... dialogue or direct into a text field (eg General Notes).
No-break-hyphen is well down the character set for Tahoma, but another snag with this technique is that many character sets do NOT support all Unicode characters. What character set were you trying.
I tried with Arial, and also Tahoma, Times New Roman and Verdana, all in Unicode and showing all characters. None of them even offered me the non-breaking hyphen. In some of these fonts (not all) there are empty cells in the character map immediately to the left of Alt+2012. Not sure why this is - could it be that I'm using Windows 7 and you aren't?

A quick google suggested Alt+0173, but I've just tried this in General Notes and it still broke at the hyphen. And when I try Jane's Alt+8211 I get "!!".
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Very strange, have you tried picking the characters from the character map. I don't have Windows 7 available any more to check it on.
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

From a Google search there are widespread problems with Unicode characters missing from Windows 7.
But even on Windows 10 the no-break hyphen, and many others, are missing from the Arial font.
This simply emphasises my earlier warning about using such characters. You must choose your fonts carefully.
In Character Map ensure that Character set: says Unicode.

Try the Segoe UI font which is widely used by Microsoft so may have best support for Unicode.
It does have the no-break hyphen on Windows 10.

BTW: In Reports the the reason the caption on photos does NOT include those Unicode characters is because their default font is Arial, so it is NOT a bug but just a feature of Arial.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

Jane wrote:Very strange, have you tried picking the characters from the character map. I don't have Windows 7 available any more to check it on.
I can get an en-dash either by typing Alt+0150 or by copying and pasting from the character map, but this non-breaking hyphen eludes me. I can, as I said, get a hyphen into General Notes by typing Alt+0173, but it doesn't seem to be a non-breaking one. Or is it that General Notes behave differently to what you might see in a diagram, for example?

You mentioned before typing Alt num key 8211 to get the en-dash, but that's not working for me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As was posted 3 years ago in Font standardisation (12882) the fonts used by different FH features vary widely and for no apparent reason. That simply compounds the problem, because it is difficult to get any consistency. As that topic mentions, Diagrams (and Report photo captions) use Arial by default, which supports fewest Unicode characters. That is why Diagrams behave differently to Notes, because the default Property Box font is Tahoma!

It is time Calico Pie sorted this out, as more and more Unicode is getting used, to avoid frustrating users!
The problem was raised during FH V6 Beta testing years ago.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

OK, thanks, it looks like I've probably encountered some aspect of that issue.

As I said before, this question of hyphenating surnames isn't one that I've needed to look at in FH, and I was only offering a suggestion based on what had worked for me elsewhere. As it doesn't seem to work in FH at present, I'll duck out of this topic now and leave you to continue discussions with the OP if he/she requires.