* Importing Media From Ancestry

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
FoxFam
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Importing Media From Ancestry

Post by FoxFam »

I've read the FAQ and searched these forums and knowledge base. I can't seem to find out why it is that I can't import the media with my GEDCOM which was exported from Ancestry.com. Does Ancestry not export the media files?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing Media From Ancestry

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

No, Ancestry doesn't export media files -- it's one of the many drawbacks of using Ancestry (or any online tree -- Findmypast is the same, I believe) as your main tree.

I'm afraid you'll have to download the media individually and relink them.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ancestry (and FindMyPast) do not migrate Media files automatically.
See how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website, which advises that if you have Family Tree Maker (FTM) then Media files can be included.

(I am working on a Plugin that might be able to migrate such online Media, but it is far from easy, so don't hold your breath.)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
FoxFam
Platinum

Post by FoxFam »

Okay. I don't have FTM. I'm not planning to continue to use Ancestry for my main tree, and this is just one more good reason. However, I do like using it to research. The records are easier to navigate with the little popup that tell me what the column header is. I need to figure out a workflow that is efficient. I don't want to invest any unnecessary time attaching records to a tree I can't export from. At the same time, am I hindered from seeing hints if I don't?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What you do is treat your FH Project as the master database and perform all the updates there.
Then occasionally use the Export Gedcom File Plugin to create a new tree in Ancestry so that tree attracts 'hints' (which does not need Media to migrate in that direction).
But I suspect that once you become familiar with way of working with FH, and search for records in any online databases (including the free ones), then you won't miss the Ancestry 'hints' very much.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

What I do is to put a minimal tree out on Ancestry in order to get hints and also connect it to my DNA results. This aids in getting contacts from others and in matching up with others trees for clues as to whom might be my ancestor. I never download my tree from Ancestry, I just upload a newer version of my tree from FH once in awhile to get more hints.

If I find any new sources from the hints or from searching on my own, I just copy the transcript and put it in my source in FH and then download and attach the image (If there is one) to the source.
adrjefimp

Post by adrjefimp »

Hi.

I can confirm that this is still true about Ancestry. However, if you use RootsMagic, 'sign in' to your Ancestry account (within RootsMagic) you can 'import' the entire Tree to RootsMagic in Gedcom form. This can if you tick all the relevant boxes mean you get ALL information imported across to RootsMagic.

I believe that once you have done this, you then have got the outcome you wished for.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that technique is described in how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website and then the RootsMagic version can be imported into FH including the Media as described in how_to:import_from_roots_magic|> Import from RootsMagic (RM).
HampshireLass
Gold

Post by HampshireLass »

I have just imported my Ancestry Tree to Family Historian 7 via a gedcom. I am new to FH.

I knew that my media wouldn't be imported, but I didn't want to delete it all from my Ancestry Tree in case something went wrong with the import to FH 7, and I want to continue using both in the short term until I am really competent on FH.

My question is: Is there an easy way to delete all the boxes in Media on FH 7 that are just blank eg the white box with the diagonal cross in the middle please? I have quite a few!

Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It might be worth sticking with the blank boxes for the time being.
The Media records that are producing the blank boxes are linked into your Project data and if deleted you lose those links.
At a later date, you may want to add Media files and just link them to the existing Media records.

However, if you are sure you wish to delete the Media records to remove the blank boxes then follow the general record delete advice in the Knowledge Base article Delete One or Many Records.
The easiest option is the File > Split Tree Helper... command with the Delete all Multimedia records option but take care none of the other delete options are chosen.
HampshireLass
Gold

Post by HampshireLass »

Thank you for the advice Mike
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

When I import media from Ancestry I first save it into a folder, Then open FH and copy that into the FH project .
Let's say a marriage certificate is available on Ancestry call it John Smith to Mary Brown. The folder I have created is labeled marriage certificate. I save it in that folder.
In the FH Project I open AS and follow the marriage option this includes adding thre marriage certificate.
I do this to all my media imports from Ancestry and create an appropriate folder.
If it is a photo of say John Smith I have a sub folder under Family information. The sub folder is Smith and under this another sub folder called John Smith. The photo of John is saved in this folder then I open FH go to Jphn Smith and copy the photo into there
All the surnames on FH have it's own folder separtae from FH and details from therer are copied to FH Projects
Victor
HampshireLass
Gold

Post by HampshireLass »

Victor thank you for your great advice.

I have an extensive collection of saved records on my laptop and funnily enough I spent some time recently "Ordering them" by Family names and members of the different Families so that I could find them easily!!

This will help me with your suggestion. Any gaps I have I will be able to check my main Ancestry Tree, and if I have them stored there will download to a folder ready to import to FH.
sommerville

Post by sommerville »

I am trialing FH because I want my tree, including media, on my computer as is the case with Roots Magic. I like the look of FH better than RM. However, as far as I can tell I cannot download all my media to FH as I can with RM.
I would like to have confirmation of that please because I have way too many media files to link manually. I am 80 years old, not the best with computer procedures and not well enough to take that task on as a project.
If this is the case then I am afraid FH would not suit me, sadly.
Many thanks,
Darrell.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Darrell.

You have effectively described the solution yourself which is the one recommended by the FHUG.
Migrate your Project from Ancestry to RootsMagic and then to FH and the Media will be retained.
See the FHUG Knowledge Base advice Importing to Family Historian and under Import from Ancestry website it advises using RootsMagic TreeShare and then Import from RootsMagic (RM) to migrate into FH.

If anything is unclear then please ask again.
sommerville

Post by sommerville »

Thank you so much. I have followed that advise with success.
I had done that previously but I think I might have used RM8 which itself was not complete with media images.
Happy camper now.
Cheers, Darrell.
Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger »

I've just been trying to follow this process to get my media from Ancestry into FH7 with only some success.
I was wondering if I missed something.
I used the latest Roots Magic Essential (free version of RM). The latest I could find on their website is 7.6.5.0, no sign of RM 8.
I successfully connected to my Ancestry account through RM and downloaded my tree with media - success. However, the file format (.rmgc) that this version of RM uses cannot be imported directly into FH7. I even tried just removing the 'c' at the end of the file extension, but FH7 wouldn't import it.
Then having read the Knowledge Base article about getting from Ancestry to FH via RM I thought maybe I could use an earlier version of RM to produce a file format the FH7 could directly import. I was able to find many earlier versions of RM on their website. So I tried versions 3,4,5 and 6. None of these seem to have the ability to log in to Ancestry within them and thus the ability to download an Ancestry tree with media, unless I haven't looked in the right place in the older menu structure.
I also looked for a 'Save As ..' in RM to save back to the earlier file format. There isn't one.
The result is I don't see how the this route from Ancestry to FH via Roots Magic including media files ever worked, unless I'm missing something.
I have at least got all my media files on my local Hard drive in one fell swoop, so a partial success.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Daryl, in the FHUG KB Importing to Family Historian follow the advice in Import from RootsMagic (RM) for Export Gedcom from Roots Magic 4 to 7 and use the GEDCOM file route similar to Ancestry but this way the Media will all come too.
It seems you did not read the Introduction carefully enough:
Different versions of RootsMagic have different Database formats. RootsMagic 1 to 3 database files have a .rmg extension that can be directly imported. However, later versions use a different format with a .rmgc extension, so will need to migrate via the GEDCOM route.
Maybe it is time the RM 1-3 advice is removed.
Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger »

Thanks Mike,
I had read that and tried it and failed to recognise that the media came with it even through the GEDCOM transfer.
Thanks, I now have all my media. If I start my definitive FH7 tree from this base do you know if there are any data gotcha's as a result of going via RM, please.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The FHUG KB for Import from RootsMagic (RM) identifies Common Problems.
The FHUG KB main section for Importing has many tools for fixing import problems but the most common are Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF).
That would be much the same for direct import from Ancestry.

Don't forget the FH Window > Log Files... of import reports.

The other major decision area is the structure for Source Citations.
Ancestry favours Method 2 'lumper' Source Citations whereas FH & AS favour Method 1 'splitter' Source Citations.
On top of that FH V7 offers the choice between Generic Source Citations and Templated Source Citations.
See the FHUG KB Topic: Sources and Citations.

BTW: Did the RM route include not only all your own Media but also all the Citation Media of BMD & Census record images, etc?
Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger »

Thanks Mike. I will look at your references.
Yes the RM route brought all my phot media and Citation Media. However, there seemed to be lots of duplicates of the images.
The other problem I got was that I am number 1 and root in a direct import via GEDCOM from Ancestry, but I become number 201 in the GEDCOM transfer via RM. I am not sure it is an issue, unless you know different.
I think I had to reset me as root in the RM transfer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding the duplicate Media, see Duplicate Media Records (12689) that starts in 2015 and comes up to date.
The same problem affects RM and Legacy and any product that uses Local Media Objects (LMO).

The Record Id is not significant. It is effectively the unique record key. Don't think of it as a number.
It is possible to renumber from 1 but it is really not necessary.

Resetting the File Root is quite likely as it is not defined in the GEDCOM specification.

I have set up a 14-day Free Trial of Ancestry to explore my Download Online Media plugin that I'll report separately in the Import gedcom with photos from online url (19031) thread. I'll also try and repeat your journey here to experience it for myself.
MFriend
Famous

Post by MFriend »

I thought I would add a comment... If someone has the choice between using RootsMagic and Family Tree Maker to download their Ancestry Tree, I'd suggest using FTM if they have added a significant amount of citations or facts that have been added online at Ancestry. FTM I discovered will rename media that has been added by Ancestry like if you add a census online. So if you download your tree all the Ancestry media will have a name based I think off of the Citation title. RM will download with no changes. So a census downloaded with FTM might be named 1850 Census US Federal(5) while the same file from RM might be something like 457258005424573818994.jpg. Neither will change a media files name that has been uploaded by the user. I just found it easier to sort and rename once imported into FH.
Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger »

That is certainly the case with RM. I have lots of cryptic media filenames.
Just had a look for a free version of Family Tree Maker and can't find one.
I have lots of duplicate media to remove, so work to do anyway.
Being new to Family Historian I am trying to assimilate its capabilities, which are legion :-), migrate my tree from Ancestry (with media and citations) and establish a workflow for continuing my family history research and documentation.
FHUG and its knowledgable contributors is proving invaluable.
Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger »

tatewise wrote: 19 Mar 2021 20:16 Regarding the duplicate Media, see Duplicate Media Records (12689) that starts in 2015 and comes up to date.
The same problem affects RM and Legacy and any product that uses Local Media Objects (LMO).

The Record Id is not significant. It is effectively the unique record key. Don't think of it as a number.
It is possible to renumber from 1 but it is really not necessary.

Resetting the File Root is quite likely as it is not defined in the GEDCOM specification.

I have set up a 14-day Free Trial of Ancestry to explore my Download Online Media plugin that I'll report separately in the Import gedcom with photos from online url (19031) thread. I'll also try and repeat your journey here to experience it for myself.
Thanks Mike, I look forward to hearing your conclusions in due course.