* Running FH 6.2 on Linux, Help needed.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Toonalook
Family Historian: V6

Running FH 6.2 on Linux, Help needed.

Post by Toonalook »

I am attempting to get Family Historian 6.2 to run on my laptop running Linux Mint 18.3 using Wine 4.0 and PlayOnLinux as a front end.

I have been running RootsMagic 6 with the above platform and it runs flawlessly. I have attempted to update to RootsMagic 7 but it will not work for me. I have also become a bit disenchanted with RootsMagic and have decided to try Family Historian 6.2 as this seems to be the current software of choice.

I have installed the demo version of Family Historian and it runs nicely , allowing me to open the sample file do edits, saves, etc.
There are three problems that I have however and they may be related.

When I open a report there are no fonts shown. Images however show.
On printing the report the Images, fonts and text print normally.

Also when I endeavour to import or open a Gedcom file it gives a
“Unable to open file – An unknown error has occurred” message. I have tried several Gedcom files from various sources.
Likewise when I try to save my sample database as Gedcom it goes through the motions but no file is saved.

Finally whilst I can save changes to my open file I am unable to successfully backup.
If I try to backup it gives a nonsensical file name such as “::{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}” and even after renaming to something meaningful will give a directory and file not found error. If I bacckup to a small Gedcom file I get a popup to say backup completed but no file is produced.

I believe it may be related to loading the appropriate libraries on installation but I have not been able to find any assistance on line to rectify this other than older installations on Macs that do not seem to help.

I wonder if any of members running 6.2 under Linux might be able to cast some light on this.
Specifically what libraries and other tweaks they needed to implement to obtain a working program. If there is such a thing.
I would like to see the demo program running before I shell out hard earns on the full program.

Thanks for your assistance.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Running FH 6.2 on Linux, Help needed.

Post by BillH »

I don't use Linux, but I found this in the Knowledge Base here on the FHUG website.

how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine|> Family Historian V6 & Ancestral Sources V5 on Crossover, PlayOnLinux/Mac & Wine

In particular:

how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine#reported_problems|> Reported Problems

If you hadn't already seen this I hope it helps.
Toonalook

Post by Toonalook »

Thank you.

I had read that page but have revisited it and saw reference to installing the dotnet35sp1 library.
This certainly met with partial success. I had to install a 32bit version and installed the library with PlayOnLinux.
I can now import and export Gedcom files and backup program.

I am left with one problem that I have identified to date and that is onscreen fonts are still not showing in reports.

Any solution to this would be appreciated.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I run FH on a Mac and whilst PlayOnMac is the easiest to use it is not the best imho. I do recommend that you try Crossover as that runs without any of the issues that you mention on my Mac.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

@Toonalook,

Two comments:

- Make sure you have Microsoft Fonts installed in the PlayOnMac package you've created.
- .Net Framework 3.5 isn't required by Family Historian, but is required if you intend to install the Ancestral Sources companion program in the same package.

Crossover installation is, as mentioned, is somewhat easier, as the the packages it creates tend to have a lot of standard Windows 'stuff' added automatically, whether or not it is absolutely necessary. With self installation the User has to work out what's actually needed.

Mervyn
Toonalook

Post by Toonalook »

Have now installed Microsoft Fonts from inside PlayOnLinux.
Also installed "TTF-MSCorefonts-Installer" from Software manager Still not resolving fonts in reports section.

Take your point about Crossover for Linux but at present would like to persue the no cost option of PlayOnLinux.

I usually have good results with this program.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you set FH Tools > Preferences > General > Advanced > Emulator Compatibility Mode as advised in how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine#reported_problems|> Reported Problems for Reports displaying text incorrectly.

But from many past discussions, Crossover is the best option by a long way, and also supports Ancestral Sources running simultaneously with FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Toonalook

Post by Toonalook »

Thanks Mike.

That solved the problem.

The information was there all along. I just did not look hard enougth.

Thanks again for helping. I can now go on and play with the program. Loving what I have seen to date.