* What is this yellow box with "Not" in it?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Ellsinore
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

What is this yellow box with "Not" in it?

Post by Ellsinore »

What is the purpose of this yellow box with the "Not" in it?
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: What is this yellow box with "Not" in it?

Post by Jane »

As you have a source displayed the Source Pane is blank, it would normally say "Not Applicable" but as you have selected a non proportional font for the Property box it looks like it's got truncated by windows.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Ellsinore
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ellsinore »

Hi, Jane! Actually, I only recently changed the font, but the "Not" has always been there. :-) But I "get it" now. Thank you!!!
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I have just noticed this anomaly on a new laptop. It's not a problem, but it could certainly confuse a new user!

I am running FH on a desktop PC with windows 7 and synchronising with a new laptop with windows 10. I have not changed any default fonts in FH, and the two screens, although different sizes, have the same resolution. The display shows 'Not Applicable' on the desktop PC but just 'Not' on the laptop. This is not affected by the size or position of the Source pane, so it's not a simple case of truncation.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Has anybody reported it to Calico Pie?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Lorna, do you run your laptop at something other than 100% in the display settings?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Ah, yes. The default laptop display is 125%. Changing it to 100% makes the 'Not applicable' text appear correctly. However at 125% even when the pane is arranged to make loads of space the word 'applicable' doesn't show, so the effect is quite odd.

I'll report it Calico Pie but I doubt they can do much about it.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It probably will be to do with how much GUI space the code has allowed for that text (a bit like a Text Box in Word).
Enlarging the yellow Sources For pane has no effect (in the same way enlarging the page has no effect on a Text Box).
I suspect the word applicable is wrapping onto the next (invisible) line (the same as happens in a Text Box that is too small).
Calico Pie should be able to fix it by making the GUI space larger or dynamically sized.
(BTW: Plugin Lua IOPackage offers that dynamic capability, so I suspect Windows will offer something similar.)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Ros at Calico has responded:
"Thank you I have made a note of that for the developers."
Lorna