* Electoral Rolls

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
brianlummis
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Electoral Rolls

Post by brianlummis »

General Settings.PNG
General Settings.PNG (60.56 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
Census Settings.PNG
Census Settings.PNG (52.21 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
Census Settings - Method 1.PNG
Census Settings - Method 1.PNG (34.4 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One idea I had for the AutoText Templates was to include a key to the Register Codes.
Then that explanation is next to the code usage in Text From Source, and avoids adding them to the Note of each Residence fact.

In the Knowledge Base it will be made clear that the Residence fact may need to be replace by some other fact (using Change Any Fact Tag Plugin) such as where the Electoral Register entry relates to a Business rather than a Residence.

Otherwise, thanks go to Brian for his work this topic, that provides the basis of Knowledge Base advice that I will get on with when time allows.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

This looks to be a very useful idea. Thanks. Telephone directories can also provide residence info (and a phone number!)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have just returned to this to add to the Knowledge Base but on closer inspection the Electoral Register Template.xml file appears to define the same codes for both the 1918 and 1928 templates (i.e.1918 set uses the 1928 codes by mistake).

Also, to be consistent, the filename should mention UK, e.g. Electoral Register UK Templates.xml

Brian, could you please review and amend.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Very strange - I have not amended anything since producing the last XML file but a fresh export is now attached which I hope has the correct data.
Attachments
Electoral Register UK Templates.xml
(9.61 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have created fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources_template_electoral_register_uk|> Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK and would welcome any critical comments.

Brian, I could not find an online link to your quoted British Library fact sheet on qualifying dates - can you help?

(Note that it will not appear in fhugdownloads:ancestralsources|> Downloads and Links ~ Ancestral Sources until the Knowledge Base is refreshed by Jane.)
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

From my perspective the KB reads well but perhaps I have been too close to the subject - it would help if someone new to recording Electoral Register entries could comment.

The British Library fact sheet is the rather long one that was quoted earlier in this thread https://www.bl.uk/voices-of-science/bri ... encies.pdf and my extract about qualifying dates can be found midway down on page 22.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the feedback. We will just have to wait for a newcomer to comment. It is quite a tricky topic.

I did eventually track down that PDF and the qualifying dates. I refer to it in the Description 2nd paragraph.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Thank you Mike and Brian and others for your work on this.

I have just used the information in the Knowledge Base Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK to use AS to record some Electoral Roll Images and information which I found earlier today while testing out the Library Edition of Ancestry (so I could give an informed reply on the Can online services support FH research). The template worked very well; thank you.

Now to restore the AS Options so I can continue changing my Method 2 census entries imported from FTM to Method 1. (This has been a lengthy process but has enabled me to spot some omissions and errors in my data entry over the years.)
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I know this is an old thread, but the next version of Ancestral Sources should go a long way to making it more straightforward to record Electoral Registers as well as other things which are similar to census.

Census records in AS now have a Type which by default is 'Census' but templates can be created for other types such as Electoral Register. This type is used to populate the {SOURCETYPE} auto text template. It is no longer a requirement to specify a year or date, so a template can cover a range of years. Each template can also specify whether the data is stored in a census, residence or custom event.
Template screen:
ElectoralRegisterTemplate.PNG
ElectoralRegisterTemplate.PNG (13.34 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Main screen:
ElectoralRegisterMain.PNG
ElectoralRegisterMain.PNG (33.22 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/