* Using and displaying Custom facts

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Using and displaying Custom facts

Post by E Wilcock »

I severely limit my use of custom facts and have a generic Event Misc which I use for anything that doesnt fit. And I specify the event in the Note field, i.e. the local sentence.

The problem of Event Misc arises first on the facts tab of fh. In TMG the facts list view for a person gave the first part of the Notes field including my Event Misc, so I could could see at once what was happening to a person.

In fh on the facts tab this is concealed. Even when one floats the property box, one cannot read off at first glance the contents of the note field for Event Misc. One must first highlight each event to bring it on screen.

I cant see how to reformat the columns in this view. Tho it should surely possible since I notice that one can see the comparable fact information for the standard fh events. e.g. for Occupation and religion.

So do I need to alter the settings for Event Misc so that a field will show on the Facts tab?

Then one comes to reports. Is there any way of preventing the label Event Misc and only Event Misc from outputting in reports?

I dont have a custom event for arrests, trials, detention centres, prison. Or indeed being attacked in the street. And it looks rather odd to read Event Misc, if the event itself e.g. arrest was hardly Miscellaneous.

I havent got on well with custom sets of events (for instance on Military service or travel which just confuse me) so I am hoping this can be solved and the Fact Note displayed. The alternative is a whole series of non GEDCOM custom events related to immigration and detention.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Re: Using and displaying Custom facts

Post by DavidNewton »

I have a custom attribute "Information" similar in function to your "Miscellaneous" fact. To change what is showing in the fact list open the Fact definition screen for your fact
FactDefn.JPG
FactDefn.JPG (49.62 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
then click the Advanced button
Advanced.JPG
Advanced.JPG (50.14 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
This screen gives you the option to construct a template for the Fact Tab listing. Ignoring all the stuff at the beginning my tamplate is
{value} <{date}> {note}
I frequently do not date information which explains the <> around the {date} code.
If your fact is an event then remove the {value} code. I use an attribute as I can put a brief indication in the value as to the content of the information, e.g, Charged with burglary, etc

Of course the template you use is up to you.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Evelyn, the clue to your solution is your reference to Occupation and Religion that show their Value in the top of the Facts tab.
By Value I mean the text to the right of the Fact Label immediately below the top pane.
e.g.
or
Religion: Catholic

Those facts are Attributes NOT Events, and only Attributes have that Value field.
So what you need is a Custom Attribute called Misc which will have a Value.
e.g.
Misc: Arrested

Now the process to get from your current Custom Event Misc to Custom Attribute Misc is as follows:
  1. Use Tools > Fact Types to create a new Custom Attribute Misc but give it a Label such as Miscellaneous
  2. Use Change Any Fact Tag Plugin to convert every Custom ~ Misc to Custom ~ Miscellaneous
  3. Move the Note text to the Value field for every Miscellaneous fact (this may need a custom Plugin)
  4. Repeat those last two steps in every Project
  5. Use Tools > Fact Types to delete Custom Event Misc and change Custom Attribute Misc label back to Misc
An alternative is to use David's Override Template to include {note} text in the top of the Facts tab, and keep your Custom Event Misc as it is. We need to discuss the ramifications of the two solutions, and which one suits you best.

Regarding Reports, exactly which type of Report are you interested in?
Similar Template changes to those suggested by David will probably solve the problem, but the change varies depending on Report type.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you. Both of you.
Mike that is a very interesting reply - No I hadnt realised those were attributes.
You have given me a lot to think about. I am not going to do anything for the time being. But have bookmarked this thread.
But just checking on how fh displays a biography page for an individual, I find an inconsistency.
If I float the property box for one of the people I am writing about. The facts tab shows me
Birth date and Place
Education, then Occupation (both these presumably attributes)

Then a census entry for 2 April 1911, which shows her Place (address) and the text contents of the note field. (This was originally entered in TMG)
Then four more Events which follow the rules you are explaining.

Is there any reason why the first line of the Note shows for the 1911 census but not for other Events?
It shows as much of the text as the column has room for, followed by three dots ...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure what you mean by a "biography page".
Do you mean the Facts tab?

Whether the Property Box is Floating or Docked makes no difference.
Yes, both Education and Occupation are Attributes.

You can tell whether a fact is an Event or an Attribute at least two ways.
In Tools > Fact Types the Type column (and elsewhere) displays Event or Attribute.
When an Attribute is selected in the Facts tab, just below the Fact list there is an extra box next to the fact Label to hold the Value of the Attribute.

The Census Event shows that Note text because it has been customised in Tools > Fact Types > Census > Edit > Advanced along the same lines as discussed earlier by adding {note} to the Override Template. You must have done that in the past and forgotten about it. Long Note text is usually curtailed with ... in most displays.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike - I didnt customise. I dont think I did. May be it is part of the TMG import?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No, a TMG import (or any other import) never ever adds or changes any customisations.
An import only ever imports Individual, Family, Note, Source, Repository, Media, and similar data records.

Did you check the Tools > Fact Types > Census Event settings via the Edit and Advanced buttons?
If not, then why not?
Check the Advanced Features as per DavidNewton's screenshots earlier.
What is the Template expression for Use Override Template for Facts tab Listings?

There is no need for any conjecture, because the FH settings are conclusive.