* New search on the Home page

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

New search on the Home page

Post by Jane »

We have recently added a new search to the home page please try it out. It will search both the Knowledge base and the forums, giving us a combined search for the first time. There are almost 50,000 entries in the index currently.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
BillH
Megastar

Re: New search on the Home page

Post by BillH »

Jane,

I wasn't sure if you had a chance to look into it or not, but the new search still loses the position you are in when going to one of the links and then returning to the result list when using Google Chrome.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Bill,
A workround is to Left or Right Clich* the result you want to look at, and select Open in a New Window and when done, close that window and return to original window, which will still be exactly as you left it.

*Left or right click depends on whether your mouse is set for left or right hand.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have some JavaScript to try for the limitations on Chrome Bill. Sunday was a bit busy
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

If you have a wheel mouse just click the wheel on the link and that opens in a new window. ;)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I did try the Javascript, but it do not position correctly so I have just reverted to a new window.
Jane
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Jane,

Thanks for trying to fix it. The change to use a new tab works great. Weird that Chrome acts differently. On other web sites if I leave via a link and come back it remembers my position.

Gowermick and Valkrider,

Thanks for the suggestions. The nice thing about Jane opening a new tab is that it doesn't have to be closed each time. Going back to the result list and clicking on another link opens it in the same tab as the last one... so only one extra tab. With the "open in a new tab" method, it keeps opening new tabs every time unless you close them after each use. And also it requires me remembering that I have to use right click and then "open in new tab". I forget to do that. In any case, Jane's method is just easier and cleaner.

Thanks