* Photos missing on my backup.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ollybean47
Family Historian: V4

Photos missing on my backup.

Post by ollybean47 »

I am using FH V4.0 on Windows 7.

When I do a backup, the photos (jpeg), do not appear in the zipped or unzipped copy.
Are there any settings to adjust so that the photos are retained on the backup ?

Please note that my computer knowledge is very limited, so an idiots guide is welcome.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Photos missing on my backup.

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Olly.

In FH V4 the internal Backup feature only saves the GEDCOM data file, and none of the other Project files such as the Media or exported Diagrams and Reports.

If you need the Backup Project (including Media) feature, then you will have to upgrade to FH V6.

However, there is no need to do that, because you can use the native Windows 7 Backup tools, or the free OneDrive cloud storage, to preserve your entire Project folder. Alternatively, simply use Windows Explorer and Copy the entire Family Historian Projects folder to a USB memory stick.

See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for much more detailed advice.

If any of the above is not clear, then please ask for a more basic explanation of whichever option appeals to you.

BTW: As well as your Project(s) you need to backup your customisations of Preferences, Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Facts, etc. See how_to:move_settings|> Move Family Historian Settings and Projects.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry