* How can I map individuals from a Named List?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ampt
Gold
Family Historian: V6

How can I map individuals from a Named List?

Post by ampt »

I am trying to identify a settlement pattern based on records. I have the families in a Named List. I could add, if need be, the individuals from these families to ..... another Named List?
How could I map the individuals and/or families?
Thanks
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How can I map individuals from a Named List?

Post by PeterR »

You can select any number of Individuals from the Records Window or from a Query Result Set or from a Named List (of Individuals) and then click on Map Places for Selected Individuals. I don't think there is any way to map Family Records directly.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just to Clarify Peters answer. Select Map for Selected Individuals, you can start with an Individual.
Then click the Records Button and select the Named Lists tab.

As Peter states I don't think you can use Family Records, but you could create a Named list or use a Query to find everyone in the Family Records in your Named list.

Don't forget you can add multiple marker sets so you can map different families with different icons.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ampt
Gold

Post by ampt »

Thank you for the help. I ended up creating a query for all individuals born before 1860 and selected the desired information (places) in columns.
Now I am having some difficulty figuring out how to map from this query. Looking at the Help menu, there should be a "Map Places for ...." somewhere, but I can't seem to locate anyplace that would provide me as input for mapping the output of the query. I must be missing something.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Can you please clarify: do you want to map all events for a selected group of individuals, or map a selected group of places?

If the former, follow Jane’s guidance, i.e. select one individual, then click the map icon in the toolbar and select Map Places for <individual>. Once the map window is open, click the Records button in the map window then in the Select Records box either use Add using Query (at bottom of box) or switch to the Named Lists tab and select the list you want.

If you want to map a group of places, you need to select them in the records window first, then use Map Locations of Selected Place records.
Lorna
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

As I said earlier, you can select one or more Individuals in your Result Set, e.g. by dragging with mouse, and then click on Map Places for Selected Individuals.
2018-01-07_183202.jpg
2018-01-07_183202.jpg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
ampt
Gold

Post by ampt »

Thank you. It all starts to make sense. Learning curve :D
Paulinelp
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Paulinelp »

I had never tried this feature but when I saw this thread I decided to give it a try. Can anyone explain why it has put Sittingbourne, Kent in Alaska and Bethnal Green in Ohio - not all of them, just the odd one. What do I need to do to make it work properly? This could be really useful.
Many thanks,
Pauline
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Pauline, are you sure the Place names really are what you think?

If you click on the marker in the map what place name does it show?

That it gets just the odd one wrong suggests they aren't actually Sittingbourne, Kent or Bethnal Green that both map OK for me.

To ensure mapping has the best chance to get the correct co-ordinates you should always supply town, county, country.
e.g.
Sittingbourne, Kent, UK or perhaps England
Bethnal Green, London, UK or perhaps England

One thing to check is that your PC Region is set correctly.
In Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language and check it says United Kingdom.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Paulinelp
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Paulinelp »

Hi Mike,
I've just tried it with a few selected places to see what would happen. Some of the early entries into the database, particularly those which have been through a couple of changes of programme, don't have the country on the end of the place. They all turned up in the USA. The others have mapped properly. I've been gradually working my way through the database improving the recording of place names but it's pretty low priority really. Perhaps I just won't use the map for the time being.
The computer settings are correct.
All the best,
Pauline