* FH 6.2.6 FMP Hints

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

FH 6.2.6 FMP Hints

Post by gerrynuk »

Thanks for this, Jane, and I have downloaded and installed the update.

The update doesn't seem to have solved the problem with the FMP display, where the hints can be very faint or even invisible but it seems to have added a new Reject button to each hint. This is very useful as it means that hints that are obviously wrong can be rejected without opening them and also means, presumably, that if you don't have a subscription to the record set covering the hint you can still reject it without getting the subscription upgrade page. Thanks to Calico Pie and FMP for dealing with that issue, which was been something that I raised several times here, with Calico Pie and with FMP.

I haven't had a chance to investigate any other improvements.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: 6.2.6 Released

Post by Jane »

The light colour problem, is actually at the FMP end, as is the new Hint improvement. I think most of the fixes for FMP were to do with the locking of the FMP cache by backup programs causing hints to reappear.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, Gerry, see Find My Past hints new 'Reject' option (15575) that gives a warning about the new Reject option.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Post by gerrynuk »

Thanks Jane and Mike. I saw the comment about "losing" rejected hints just after I posted but thanks for the link.

I'm surprised that the "light colour problem" or "faint hints" hasn't been dealt with as this seems to have been around for quite a long time. Whilst I use the work around of resizing the window/Property Box, it is quite annoying and time-wasting. Is there any suggestion that FMP are tackling it?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

There are a couple of things to try, use Mikes IE registry plugin to make sure you are using at least IE11, if that fails try using an external browser for hints avoiding IE altogether.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Jane,
I’d just like to point out that not everyone uses IE. If, like me you avoid anything MS whenever possible, you may well be running Firefox, Safari or Chrome! :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike,

Jane was suggesting how you can avoid IE...

Helen
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you use the "Web Window" in Family Historian, this uses the IE engine this is why I was explaining why using an External Browser can help.
Jane
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Sorry if this goes off thread slightly, but I can't log into FMP from FH. It has worked well in the past. I'm using Firefox.
FMP on line chat suggested clearing the cache on Firefox to cure the problem. I have cleared the cache but but to no avail.

When I try to log into FMP I enter name and password on the log in screen, hit enter and it returns to the log in screen.
Any thoughts or a cure would be appreciated.

Barry

PS no problem logging into FMP directly with Firefox.
You don't know what you don't know, until you find out you didn't know.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FH 6.2.6 FMP Hints

Post by tatewise »

Barry (and others), whatever you do in Firefox (or Chrome) has absolutely no effect on the FH internal Web Search Window.

FH, like any other Windows program, can only use the Internet Explorer Shell internally.

So whatever problems exist in the FH internal Web Search Window are down to the Internet Explorer interface with FMP, etc.

However, it is possible for the Internet Explorer version and the internal Internet Explorer Shell version to be different.
That is where the Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin can be used to change the internal version.

See also how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches.
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Thanks for that Mike, I hadn't relised that FH was using IE internally - my miniscule computer knowledge assumed that as I use Firefox, FH was using it too.

I have cleared the browsing history on IE and downloaded the plug in suggested, and run it as administrator and re-started the PC - I used the IE 9 option as suggested on the plug in.

I now get the 'Log in to FMP' screen and when I log in I get 'The webpage cannot be found'
any thoughts please?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Plugin advice to use IE Shell Version 9 is now rather obsolete, and perhaps should say at least Version 9.
It was correct for earlier versions of FH and Windows and IE.

But FH V6 automatically sets IE Shell Version 11, which is usually best, and renders the Plugin obsolete.
However, it is useful to be able to double-check the setting.
What is probably more important is to perform all the recommended IE Resets and Cache Clearing.

If that still fails, then change the Preference to External Browser, which will use your preferred Firefox.
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

Thanks for your help Mike. IE changed to 11 on plug in but still not working, so I did as you suggested and changed to external browser which is now working.

The sequence if anyone else wants to try it is: Tools> Preferences> Internet data matches> Location to display matches> change this to'External web browser' then hit' Apply>' then close down and restart the computer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That advice already exists in how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches but there is no need to "close down and restart the computer" or even to close & open Family Historian. As with most customisations in FH the change is immediate.