* Date Entry Assistant and other popup windows

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
NewMember001
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Date Entry Assistant and other popup windows

Post by NewMember001 »

Hello everyone,

How can I avoid the "Date Entry Assistant" popping up when I click too hard in the space where you enter the date of birth? Sometimes I have several windows open on my laptop, like a birth and a census record and when I want to enter this data in Family Historian, the "Date Entry Assistant" or another popup window gets in the way. The same thing happens with the "Note" field. I find these popups distracting and it interrupts the work I'm doing. I only want to open an extra window when I click the button on the right.

I have another unrelated question: I have a "Dr. Med." in my family tree. I used the prefix field for this, but Dr. Med. doesn't show anywhere, not in the record and focus window, nor in the property box, it only shows up when I create a report. I tried to enter "Dr. Med." three times in the last couple of months, because I thought I forgot to enter it. But then I realized it's already there, but hidden.
Last edited by NewMember001 on 11 Dec 2017 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Date Entry Assistant and other popup windows

Post by Jane »

The Date Assistant only appears when you double click on the field, not when you click too hard, which suggests your mouse button may be going and issuing a double click.

You can change the title of the Property box to include the Suffixes and Prefixes go to Tools>Preferences and select Property Box then Captions and change the Individual Window caption to
2017-12-05_132213.png
2017-12-05_132213.png (46.28 KiB) Viewed 7337 times

Code: Select all

Individual: %INDI.NAME[1]:ADORNED_FULL% [=RecordId()]
You can miss off the [[=RecordId()]] if you don't want the Record number for the record.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

As Jane says, those popup windows should only occur if you click the [...] button OR you double-left-click inside the box.
I wonder if your mouse sometimes double-clicks when you press the left button too hard?

The Dr. prefix is an interesting topic.
The usual genealogy convention is that the Primary Name is the Birth Name shown on the Birth Certificate.
So at birth nobody would be a Dr. but as Jane explains it can be customised to be shown in the caption.
how_to:handle_people_with_multiple_names|> How to Handle People With Multiple Names may give you some ideas.

As a newcomer may I suggest you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NewMember001
Silver

Post by NewMember001 »

Thanks for the replies. I am using a laptop with a touchpad, perhaps I click more often than I realize. Is there a way to disable the double click feature in Family Historian, or do I need to learn to click less fanatically? But that's not an easy thing to do when multitasking ;)

Thanks for the code, Jane, seeing titles and other specifics makes it easier for me to remember who is who in my tree.
Last edited by NewMember001 on 11 Dec 2017 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No you cannot disable double-click in FH (nor any other program that I am aware of).

You can adjust the sensitivity and other characteristics of the trackpad in the Windows settings.
In Windows 10 that is in Start > Settings > Devices > Touchpad
In earlier Windows that is in Start > Control Panel > Mouse
NewMember001
Silver

Post by NewMember001 »

Thanks for your reply. It would be great though if double click = opening a popup window can be disabled in one of the next updates of Family Historian, not as a default setting but as an option. I don't think I'm the only one with poor clicking skills. I have to admit that my touchpad has it flaws, because the buttons are hidden especially right clicking requires some patience.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You will have to report that request to Calico Pie as explained in how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.

But don't hold your breath as it is unlikely to happen soon. I don't recall anyone else having that problem.

Did you try adjusting the settings?

Maybe invest in a cheap USB/Bluetooth Mouse instead.

( Touchpads drive me nuts :x )
NewMember001
Silver

Post by NewMember001 »

I am planning to buy a new laptop or PC with a larger screen, perhaps this will improve my clicking skills :)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't understand how a bigger screen will improve clicking skills that only impact touchpad/mouse.

Did you try adjusting the touchpad settings?

To migrate from old PC to new PC see how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide as there are a number of pitfalls that trip up many users.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I think some keyboards have what they call touch sensitive. This will be listed in the settings

Victor
NewMember001
Silver

Post by NewMember001 »

This is an older laptop, the touchpad isn't very accurate, sometimes I have to click several times before anything opens. I'm used to click more than I would do with a touchpad or mouse that is behaving. A smaller screen isn't very helpful with several windows open, a new laptop or computer with a larger screen will solve these problems. On the other hand, the small popup windows in Family HIstorian are opening rather quick, so turning off double clicking in FH is a feature I would still like to see.

I will send a message to Calico Pie one of these days. Thanks for the advise so far.
NewMember001
Silver

Post by NewMember001 »

I changed my double click settings to very slow, I don't notice a big difference yet, but I will try to click slower than I'm used to when using Family Historian.