* Can I synchronise my static desktop to a mobile laptop ?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
aaj1945
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Can I synchronise my static desktop to a mobile laptop ?

Post by aaj1945 »

My desktop computer has a larger than average monitor so, in defence of my eyesight, this is where I do all my genealogy work at home. However, one cannot cart a tower, monitor, keyboard etc around the SOG, record offices, National Archives etc - they wouldn't let me in the door!. Therefore I would like, if this is possible, to carry a portable, up-to-date, version of my Family Historian Project on the laptop when visiting these places.

One way to do this would appear to be by copying the current compressed Project Backup file, via a USB stick, to the laptop and there, with the same version of FH open, unzipping it. But is there a better way?
On the desk in front of me my desktop is within half a metre of the router and the laptop is within just over a metre of the router, so the thought was: can I so synchronise the two such that, with both machines open and running on the same version of Family Historian (at present this is version 6.2.5), that whatever I do on the desktop ripples through and appears on the lap top. In this way the FH Project on laptop is always up to date? Or is this pie in the sky and totally unrealistic?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Can I synchronise my static desktop to a mobile laptop ?

Post by tatewise »

See the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide and carefully follow ALL its steps.

There are a number of 'gotchas' that those steps ensure are handled correctly.

It is usually best to avoid Backup ZIP files. ( BTW: You should never unzip them. Let FH do that. )

Once you have FH V6.2.5 and your Projects with Media plus your customisations on both PC, then you can synchronise using one of the cloud synchronisation tools as advised in Further Advice. Many FH users have trodden that path.

Also don't overlook migrating Ancestral Sources.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise

At last I have found the "4 digit" version and confirm that FH 6.2,5.0 is running on both Desktop & Laptop. So I believe I have completed Step D and so can move on to:

Standard Migration Steps.
"100% certain that all preferences & customisations use only Installation Settings". Has Step D above confirmed this or, if not, will Step 1 cover it? I have checked the File Links on both machines and in each case and have found no crosses and no drive letters.
However, a sudden thought - as the instructions are from Old PC (ie my Desktop) to New PC (ie my Laptop) and I presume the instructions assume New PC to have FH installed but not populated with data & media, do I have to delete my FH Project data & media from the Laptop before proceeding with the Plug-in on each machine?

You appreciate than all this is terra incognita as far as I'm concerned.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Step D) does NOT confirm everything is at Installation Settings on old Desktop PC.

Preferences are adjustments you make via the Tools > Preferences settings in FH.
Customisations are changes you make to Diagram Options, Report Options, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, etc, etc, that are NOT directly to do with entering family data.
You have been using FH for over 5 years so I'd be amazed if you have no customisations.

To be on the safe side it would be best to perform all the steps.

It is not necessary to delete anything from the new Laptop PC as the steps will replace whatever is already there, but you can delete those Projects if you wish.

If you need any assistance with any particuar step, then stop and ask, because each step must be completed before moving on to the next.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

My background is in overseas development and to a lesser extent in disaster relief. This involves being stationed overseas, mainly in developing countries, usually in remote areas lacking reliable sources of power and means of communication.
I have been researching my family tree for over 30 years by hand, with the use of a short succession of laptops running on Windows 3.1, then Windows XP and now on Windows 10, with Word Perfect & Word to write text; Lotus 123 and Excel to write columned lists and a DOS package called Flowcharting 3 to display my evolving tree in pictorial form.
To that extent I have used computers as a tool in genealogy research, but Family Historian is the first and only pukka dedicated computer software package that I have used, simply because there was no signal of any kind to be had. When the internet eventually became available the best one could obtain locally was a "dial-up" connection.

I have not been using FH for 5 years. I bought V4 initially with the promise of free upgrade to V5 which was accomlished several months latter. Since then some of my tree, (around 500 - 600 individuals) on and off was uploaded to FH via Ancestral Sources. However most of my time until relatively recently has been spent overseas. Nothing is in the pipeline now until May, so it's time to get to grips with FH.
Having lost my DOS based tree charts at the XP to 10 "upgrade"and having only single paper hard copies, heavily anotated in pencil with additional and amended information, my top priority is to complete my populating FH with the individuals remaining to be uploaded. As of now my tree stands at 2,036 individuals and 619 families with, I estimate, a further 500 or so individuals still to go, without possible additions coming from Find my Past "hints" and other data base releases. It was from a very recent FMP release that my 5x gt, gt grandfather suddenly popped up with documentary evidence which demolished a 15 year brick wall; this results in clear run of Parish Records and wills on his line back proof positive to a burial in 1485.

So, to your response to my queries.

I firmly believe that I have not changed any Installation Settings - I did another run through last night to check if any sign that I had. 5 years have passed and at my age memory is not as reliable as it was, so if Step D did, in some esoteric way, confirms this- fine if not also fine, I know where I stand. As far as preferences are concerned the only change is half a dozen additional Fact Sets relating to criminal & civil law, parish poor law relief, provision of marriage bonds and inter-family relationships relating to witness in wills. I may make another relating to Church Courts.

Your para 5 - i thought it would be case of direct replace rather than a need to remove but I thought it wise to check first.

OK, we're off again after a spot of lunch. Thank you so much for your assistance to date, it is very much appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you have added Fact Sets, then they are NOT at Installation Settings, and are definitely customisations.
They are after all called called Custom Facts.

I wonder if there are other 'things' you have changed, but are not aware they are customisations.

Anyway, it is essential to use the Plugin steps to transfer those Custom Fact Sets from Desktop to Laptop.
Any other customisations will also be included.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

Last evening I added a sub-folder named "Backup" into the FH Projects folder, so the path was ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Backup.
However this morning I seem to, in some way, to have gone astray again, as, when I have the "Backup and Restore FH Settings 2.8" dialogue box (the page following your Red Warning Notice relating to Windows Registry) in which I am invited to "Backup all Family Historian Custom and Preference Settings", I see below that the path is ..\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ then my own family tree project\Public. Moreover I find that the sub project folder "Backup" is empty.

I believed that the sub-folder "Backup" added to the FH Projects Folder, is intended to cover the Sample Project, my own personal project plus any subsequent project that may be created. Is this correct?

It's now mid day and, as group leader, this afternoon i have to attend the monthly meeting of a U3A group study on the development of the Middle East, (ie how it got to where it's at) and after 6 years it has reached 1939 and WW2. I have to be there. I will return to Standard Migration Step 2 / 3. tomorrow.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is advisable within FH to use Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder and <<Select your ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Backup folder.
You are correct that all your Project backups and the Backup and Restore FH Settings backups should use that folder by default.

I suspect currently that preference backup folder is set to ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\<your project>\Public, which is where all backups for all projects would be saved, so it is better to use the folder suggested above.

Also in step 3) it says "...on its Options tab Choose Backup Folder …\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Backup".
Did you do that?
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

In tools > preferences, as i,ve already said, I have created a folder named Backup. The path is ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Backup
In tools > plugin, at the dialogue box "Backup & RestoreFH Settings:2.8" I have used the backup button which has given the following result:

[
Capture Plugin - locate Backup folder withi FH Projects Backup.PNG
Capture Plugin - locate Backup folder withi FH Projects Backup.PNG (13.5 KiB) Viewed 12413 times
attachment=0]Capture Plugin - locate Backup folder withi FH Projects Backup.PNG[/attachment]

On checking the folder named Backup above, which was previously empty, I find the contents are as follows:
Capture Contents of Backup Folder.PNG
Capture Contents of Backup Folder.PNG (8.69 KiB) Viewed 12413 times
Before I go on to use a USB stick to copy across to the laptop, please would you confirm that this looks right to you? Thanks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is absolutely perfect.

So when you use USB stick, copy the entire ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder so that it includes that Backup subfolder and all your Project subfolders, and they will replace the ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder on the laptop.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

Having migrated to New PC I find that , contrary to what I understood from before, the new FHP folder did not overwrite / delete the preexisting versions of FH on New PC which are now superseded. I propose to delete the old versions to avoid future confusion. I have confirmed via Find Record that a unique name only added on 11 November is present on the updated FH Project. So far so good.

In Step 5 carried out on New PC:

File> Project Window> Location is OK

Tools> Preferences> Backup> Default Backup Folder appears to be OK - New PC and Old PC concur, in that the route to ...\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Backup is clear, however:

In Tools> Preferences> Startup> Default Startup File. on both the Old PC and the New PC the Default Startup File box is empty and I'm asked to select either "Make Current File the Default", or to "Browse". In both cases there appears to be no current file. The other option is to Browse, but if this is the case I'm not sure for what folder. I haven't been able to establish what the Current File is, so I'm wondering whether there's a problem here.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding step 5) can you confirm the following:
You open FH with your preferred Project open.
You use Tools > Preferences > Startup tab.
Against Default Startup File you click Select and then click Make Current File the Default.
You say that enters nothing into the Default Startup File box?

I do not understand how that can happen, because a Project must be open to allow Tools > Preferences > Startup to be used, so there must be a current Project file to make the default when you click that option.

The alternative method is to use File > Project Window, select your preferred Project in list, then click More Tasks > Set as Default Project and ensure there is a green tick against that Project in the list.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

I've checked again on both PCs and in step 5 Startup sequence everything is fine!
I'm a morning person - half of yesterday was taken up with getting my car MOTd and retaxed, so when I eventually got back to this I've no idea now what I had or had not done to find that I could not see the file. This morning it's clear as day.
Apologies - off we go again with step 6.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

Step 6 done. First part of Step 7 done.

Then comes "use its Restore Tab to migrate ....." I have reached the following warning:
Backup & Restore FH Settings Red Warning.PNG
Backup & Restore FH Settings Red Warning.PNG (35.26 KiB) Viewed 12311 times

and opening "help & advice" I see:
Capture Ditto Help & Advice.PNG
Capture Ditto Help & Advice.PNG (130.82 KiB) Viewed 12311 times
Am I on the right track? If so, I'm uncertain about how to proceed.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry for the delay in replying, but our phone & broadband have been out of order.

Yes, you are on the right track.
Do not worry too much about the dire warnings, because you are updating a pristine installed FH, so there is nothing to damage that cannot be repaired by re-installing FH. Anyway many users have trodden the same path with success.

Just ensure that on the Plugin Options tab the Allow Restore Registry Data is ticked.

Then click the RESTORE all Family Historian Custom and Preference Settings button and you will be presented with the buttons Tutorial Files (possibly), Program Data Files, and Registry Data Keys.
Click them in that order, and after Registry Data Keys take care to following the instructions about closing Plugin and FH before proceeding with separate popup box.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

Having gone through the FAQs etc, I'm pretty sure that my next move is to press the "RESTORE all FH Custom and Preferences Settings" button, albeit RED. If I do so and then am not confident to continue, can I come back out again?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, there are Skip Operation buttons.

One is shown in the Help & Advice page you posted earlier today, but just off the bottom of the screen.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

Broadband connections - tell me about it!

I have elected to "Keep New Program Data File" at each stage until I reached "Delete File: Fact Types\Standard\Standard V2.bak_fhf"
"Warning: the file does not exist in the Backup Directory Folder. Should the file dated29/08/2016..... be deleted from the Program Data Folder?
I believe this date to be the first additional Fact Type that I put on to FH. Since then, at various times, I have added more (I believe it's now 6 altogether). So I beleve, as there will presumably be another 5 such questions about deletion, I should now select "Keep all Files". Do you agree?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since they are only historical backups they are not crucial, but I agree it will do no harm to "Keep all Files".
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

I've now moved on, remembering that I had to ensure that FH was off, to the point where I was asked whether I wanted the plugin to turn off FH and I selected YES. I then found myself looking at a DOS screen which said ECHO OFF and then asked me if I wanted to continue with Register Data Keys? to which I typed Y and Return.

I now find myself looking at DESKTOP. FH is off.

I'm not sure where I am. Am I still in Step 7? Am I in Step 8 and now have to open FH and the plugin to Restore Registry Data Keys?

I do not see any reference in the Standard Migration Steps to the DOS yes / no question, so I'm wondering if I'm off piste altogether !
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The last instruction in step 7) is to "follow the final steps as instructed."

You have done that and thus completed step 7) successfully.

Step 8) is not required since you used Registry Data Keys in step 7).

If you run FH on the new laptop PC you should find that it has the same settings such as Tools > Fact Types custom facts as on your old desktop PC.

So both PC now hold the same Projects and settings, but are not yet synchronised.

Next you need to review and understand the options in Further Advice regarding Ancestral Sources and synchronisation.
The main decision is which of the three cloud synchronisation services to use.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

Thank you for the clarification that I have actually completed Standard Migration steps.

Regarding Ancestral Sources - I have downloaded version 5.2.0 on to both Desktop and Laptop.
The Desktop already had version 5.1.3 from May last year; would the new version have overwritten the previous version or is further work necessary?
The Laptop required (according to Windows) to have additional software - "NET framework 3.5 (includes NET 2.0 & 3.0)" to be downloaded in order that Ancestral Sources 5.2.0 would run on it. I've downloaded this unexpected additional software (there was no option) but am unsure about why it was deemed necessary.

I have not yet undertaken the settings checks or reviewed Further advice on AS and Synchronisation options.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, Ancestral Sources version 5.2.0 will overwrite its previous version, but will retain the previous settings & templates.

Ancestral Sources is built using NET framework 3.5 and so is an essential requirement.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

I have run FH on Laptop and Desktop and the settings are identical.

Relating to the download of Ancestral Sources 5.2.0 to the Desktop, you say :
tatewise wrote:Yes, Ancestral Sources version 5.2.0 will overwrite its previous version, but will retain the previous settings & templates.
So should I have migrated AS 5.2.0 from Desktop (Old PC) to the Laptop (New PC) rather than downloading it, so as to preserve settings and templates on the Laptop?

Now I have to try to get my head around Synchronisation!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As advised in how_to:family_historian_migration_guide#further_advice|> Further Advice please follow the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide.
The first step is to install latest AS version on both PC, which you have done correctly.
You now need to complete the subsequent steps to migrate the AS settings from Desktop to Laptop.

Note the similarity to FH.
AS is the installed program, like FH is the installed program.
AS has its own Backup and Restore options for settings, whereas FH needs a Plugin.