* Findmypast hints

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
paulr1949
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Findmypast hints

Post by paulr1949 »

I have noticed that the number of new hints has stopped decreasing when you look at them and accept/reject them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Paul
Paul
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Findmypast hints

Post by tatewise »

Have you tried using the refresh clockwise circular arrow top right of the pop-up window showing number of hints?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

Yes!

Paul
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So when you click on Findmypast matches (new): 9 there are less than 9 records to review (or whatever number applies)?

The number decreases OK for me.

Or are you saying the number of actual records shown is also not decreasing even though you have Accepted/Rejected some?
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

I have varying numbers of hints obviously, but many of them I Have already accepted or rejected. I started by clicking on my father and had the birth, marriage and death all come up as new hints - I know I have already accepted them. I then accepted them again and the same three hints are still shown as "new". I had the same problem with some of my wife's ancestors.
I had a gap of probably 2 weeks where I didn't access FH at all, but have changed nothing myself since I last had successful matches (probably back in September).

Paul
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Check you have the FindMyPast settings for its Filter set to Default (new) in Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matches.

In the FindMyPast hints app window what option is shown on left just above the documents for review?
The possibilities are New, Accepted, Rejected.

If those settings are all at the default New status, then it sounds like some sort of FindMyPast glitch.
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

tatewise wrote:Check you have the FindMyPast settings for its Filter set to Default (new) in Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matches.

In the FindMyPast hints app window what option is shown on left just above the documents for review?
The possibilities are New, Accepted, Rejected.

If those settings are all at the default New status, then it sounds like some sort of FindMyPast glitch.
I do have the filter settings set to new, and "new" is shown above the documents. I have just tried it again, when I review the hints and accept them (in this case), they move to the "accepted" set, when the last of three is accepted, if I click on "return to hints", I am told that I have no new hints, I return to the focus window and the number returns to the original (3) in this case - it first flashes inverse (green background, white number), then returns to a small black 3 in a circle.
I think you may be right about it being a FMP glitch - but I can't understand why no-one else seems to be having the problem!

Paul
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It should never be a black number in a circle.
Usually it is a green number in green circle with a white background.

Check the advice in how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches.
Try the Refresh Automatic Internet Matching advice near top.
Check the Preferences for FindMyPast near bottom.
I admit I am clutching at straws!

If it still persists then contact Calico Pie for advice.
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

tatewise wrote:It should never be a black number in a circle.
Usually it is a green number in green circle with a white background.

Check the advice in how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches.
Try the Refresh Automatic Internet Matching advice near top.
Check the Preferences for FindMyPast near bottom.
I admit I am clutching at straws!

If it still persists then contact Calico Pie for advice.
Sorry, I mean green! I've now done the refresh internet data matching to no avail. I think I will raise a ticket with CP.
Thanks for your help/thoughts

Paul
Paul
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

Hi all,

It might interest some of you to know that Calico Pie have fixed this issue. It was a problem with the FMP cache file being locked when the cloud drive synchronised the file(s) with the cloud itself. After a couple of slightly false starts, CP have created an upgrade including a fix for this (which is to date working with no issues at all) and which will be released soon.

A big thankyou to the support staff at CP for taking the time to sort this out - a refreshing change these days!

Paul
Paul
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

I must have spoken too soon, as I have had the problem recur (on Sunday) and again today :o after re-evaluating about 100 hints
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Paul, I presume you have let Calico Pie know?
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

Mike,

Yes I have, on Sunday and updating them today.

Paul
Paul
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Did you get anywhere with this? -- I am now experiencing the same problem.
paulr1949
Diamond

Post by paulr1949 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote:Did you get anywhere with this? -- I am now experiencing the same problem.
I did initially. CP then did some work on this and released the last update (6.2.6 I think) as a result of this work. It worked OK for a while but I have had a few problems since. I can't honestly say if they're still occurring as I've been concentrating on sorting out Ancestry hints on a branch of my tree I have uploaded there so a 4th cousin can view it and have hardly opened FH in the last month or so.
The problem (in my case) appeared to be with the Findmypastcache.dat file in the cache subfolder of the projects folder. I had my project stored on a cloud drive so I could access it anywhere with my desktop or laptop, and there was an issue when it was being written to the cloud drive and the next operation did not update it properly. When it started happening again, I gave up as I had no further contact from CP and decided to leave the project files on a shared drive on my desktop PC, so when at home it only needed both PCs to be on, but it does mean I have to copy the latest file if I take the laptop away anywhere. Sorry, this may not help you very much, I suggest you try raising it with CP.

Paul
Paul
Tony Jones
Diamond

Post by Tony Jones »

Might this be similar to a (minor) problem I have?

I have a local cloud holding my FH project and am running FH and AS at the same time as I enter several sets of data. Whenever I make and update in FH, AS always seems to spot, whereas sometimes when I update in AS, Fh doesn't realise and I have to exit / restart.

Could this be a timing issue on file locks for a cloud drive?
Using an iMac Ventura Intel via Parallels v19 / Win 10 64-bit
Esthameian

Post by Esthameian »

I have a similar problem with FMP Hints:

When I click on the Hints link (bottom RH cnr of individual's box) I get a reject window saying "Oops, something went wrong. Please try again later". If I then clear this response window and try again immediately I get the link information displayed correctly and as expected but if I press the 'Yes, accept' button, I get another reject respose displayed at the bottom of this window in an orange panel: "Error updating hint information, please try again later."

Needless to say the hint count on the individual's display had not been updated when I return to it.

All of this, then need to click once and get a reject before clicking again and getting a correct response and the update error is repeated every time and on every occasion I have tried it over many days.
jmurphy
Megastar

Post by jmurphy »

Be aware that both Ancestry and findmypast hint engines for the online tree system go dormant if you haven't looked at that particular person in a while. If you are working on the online trees, you can nudge the system into giving you new hints by editing the person you'd like to see new hints for.

I don't know how Calico Pie is getting the hints from findmypast, but I wonder if this mechanism could be affecting what FH sees.

The hint engines act this way to lessen the load on the servers that have to go out and look for hints. They give priority to finding hints for the people who are being worked on.
Last edited by jmurphy on 29 Apr 2018 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Esthameian

Post by Esthameian »

jmurphy wrote:Be aware that both Ancestry and findmypast hint engines for the online tree system go dormant if you haven't looked at that particular person in a while. If you are working on the online trees, you can nudge the system into giving you new hints by editing the person you'd like to see new hints for.

I don't know how Calico Pie is getting the hints from findmypast, but I wonder if this mechanism could be affecting what FH sees.

The hint engines act this way to lesson the load on the servers that have to go out and look for hints. They give priority to finding hints for the people who are being worked on.
Thanks for that. I can understand the logic of what you say but I am just starting out using the hints, having entered the data using a GEDCOM from a previous PC, so it's a bit off-putting for the mechanism not to work on the first occasion of using it!

I did wonder whether, having read previous answers on this topic (although I admit I didn't understand the mention of a 'timing' issue) whether my use of the cloud to store my project files might have some relevance? I was recommended to do this by Calico Pie to be able to share the data with a desktop and laptop.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Easthameian,
The ‘Timing Issue’ mentioned, refers to when two people are working on the same piece of data at the same time.

For example, if person a wants to change the birthplace of Fred at the same time as person b, then the final birthplace of Fred will depend on the order the changes were made.

If a made a change, followed by b , then a’s change will be overwritten by b’s change, so a will think their change didn’t happen. The final birthplace of Fred will depend on the order a and b made their changes i.e. a question of Timing
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ajc2966
Silver

Post by ajc2966 »

I have noticed over the last couple of days that the choice of accepting or rejecting a record does not appear. I can reject a record without looking at it if I know its not relevant to me but can not accept any.
mnjjames
Gold

Post by mnjjames »

Getting same issue as ajc2966, no option accept records after opening hint, if select back to hints, it goes back to a blank world search screen for all records, not to outstanding hints list.

Also noticed a FindmyPast Cookies message popping up when you open hints, not seen that before, so wonder whether this is the cause of above issues.

If use the external window option, still no accept/Reject button, hitting back to results doesn't take you back to the results.

Wonder if FMP have made changes at their end which are incompatible with FH Hints?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I seem to remember something similar happening before.
There should not be a Back to Results button but Back to Hints instead.
Be patient and eventually FMP should sort it out.
If not, then report the symptoms to Calico Pie as advised in how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.
ajc2966
Silver

Post by ajc2966 »

The cookie message seems to have gone now, but nothing else has changed. I await an answer from FMP.
MLawrence
Platinum

Post by MLawrence »

I too have the same issue, which I logged with Calico Pie. they have now escalated this to FindMyPast.