* Imported a group of FH records into another tree

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
NigelP
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Imported a group of FH records into another tree

Post by NigelP »

I have just imported a set of people from one FH tree into another FH tree and all has worked well except that I now have duplicated sources, eg: '1841 Census' and '1841 Census'! They appear to have the same spelling. How do I identify the people with facts who correspond to a specific source?
jimlad68
Megastar

Re: Imported a group of FH records into another tree

Post by jimlad68 »

I trust the sources will have different record IDs, so in the Source list highlight one of them then drop down menu View > Record Links and it should show them all. If you click the bottom left corner icon you can save them to a named list.

There are also plugins that might help:
List All Citations for All Sources
List All Citations for Any Sources

If they are 'generic' sources you should be able to merge them
see duplicate sources (13292)

If you are not sure I suggest you make a copy of your project and experiment on that.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
NigelP
Gold

Post by NigelP »

Thanks jimlad68 - all sorted.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nigel, I suspect that when you imported the GEDCOM using File > Merge/Compare File you did not check each of the tabs for each of the records types. That is a VERY COMMON MISTAKE. If you had investigated the Sources tab you could have merged any compatible Source records. The same goes for Media and all the other record types.

See the glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NigelP
Gold

Post by NigelP »

I have read all the information in the links and now have a much better idea of how I should do this (properly) the next time, and, thankfully have solved all the problems caused by the import.

Thanks to you both.