* FH 6.2.5 crashing problem

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
WBFamHist
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH 6.2.5 crashing problem

Post by WBFamHist »

You may have seen my topic "How to recover etc" posted yesterday following a program crashing problem.

The crash has happened three times this evening whilst adding notes to my file and saving. Error messages attached. Note in image 3 that the file "last updated" date has automatically become 01/01/1971 00:00

Has anyone else suffered from this error and if so, how was it corrected.

Thank you.
Attachments
Error message 3 -.jpg
Error message 3 -.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
Error message 2 immediately after 1 above.jpg
Error message 2 immediately after 1 above.jpg (242.4 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
Error message 1 when saving.jpg
Error message 1 when saving.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FH 6.2.5 crashing problem

Post by tatewise »

I am a little confused by your screenshots that appear to relate to more than one Project.

Your How to recover a gedcom file after FH apparent crash?? (15377) related to Whitchurch-Bennett Ancestry (2017).

Here, Error message 2 clearly relates to Project Whitchurch-Bennett Ancestry 2018 not 2017.

Whereas, Error message 3 clearly relates to Project Whitchurch-Bennett Ancestry 2017 without parentheses.

Ignore the Last Updated date 01/01/1971, as that is just a default for when the Gedcom cannot be opened, because the last updated date is gleaned from the Gedcom and if that is not available then nor is the date.

In all cases I suspect it is saving the Gedcom that fails, so FH creates a ~fh****.tmp file instead.

If you rename the ~fh5D2F.tmp file listed in the message to Whitchurch-Bennett Ancestry 2018.ged with FH closed.
Just the same as I advised in How to recover a gedcom file after FH apparent crash?? (15377).
Then that Project should be restored when FH is opened.

However, as I said, there is more than one Project involved here. So the same technique may apply to the others.

I suspect you are suffering the same problem as that reported in Autosave and saving (15367).
There Google Drive was also the problem.
The workaround used there was to pause Google Drive synch temporarily while using FH.
But other techniques were also suggested in that thread.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Also watch the length of your file path, it looks pretty close to the limit to me. Reducing the length of the file path may help.

Why two Family Historian Projects folders nested one under the other?
[Mike Tate Comment: There are no nested Project folders - they are perfectly normal.]
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

I notice the files are in the GoogleDrive folder, could this be related to the problems that user bp158 was having a few days ago, with the googledrive client locking files. Maybe the googledrive client has been updated recently and doing something it didn't previously do.

Edit
:lol: Just noticed Mike's post in the thread How to recover a gedcom file after FH apparent crash?? (15377)
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
WBFamHist
Diamond

Post by WBFamHist »

Re two files.... this is because I only managed to take the screen shots in the 2017 file before it crashed completely. I had to re-open as 2018 and then when that crashed again, I took the other screen shot. Bit confusing, but the same problem.
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I have been using FH for over a year now since migrating from TMG and never experienced a crash until recently. Now I seem to get a crash two or three times per week (thank goodness for 5 minute auto saves). The attached error message isn't very helpful. No idea why this has started.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 12743 times
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
WBFamHist
Diamond

Post by WBFamHist »

Have had the same error message many times apart from my latest program crashing with Google Drive. Very frustrating especially when a lot of data has been added before the crash.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Checkout how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#errorfamily_historian_stopped_working|> Error: Family Historian Stopped Working.

It may be due to Windows 10 automatic updates &/or printer drivers.
bp158
Platinum

Post by bp158 »

Like you I had exactly the same problem (see saving and autosaving).
Thankfully, I did not lose any of my work.
It is probable that you have not lost any work as it will have been saved to a tmp file. If you find it and open it with family historian you should get your project back as it was.

Also You may find that the .ged file is missing on your hard drive, but available on your cloud drive, or visa versa with the correct date.
I found that it was essential to pause the Google backup and sync while working on large FH files.
Barbara
WBFamHist
Diamond

Post by WBFamHist »

Thanks Barbara - I am pausing it now and all seems fine (so far!!)

Best regards Richard
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

Hello all,
I'm having the same problem 'Program Stopped Working'.
It's has only started recently. That is in the last two weeks with program stopped about two or three times a day.
Can't remember when I up dated to 6.2.5. But, could that be the problem.
I don't have any clouds.
Also I'm switching between two projects and usually at the moment working with a chart of EVERYONE open.
I'm trying to tidy up the projects.
Genie15
WBFamHist
Diamond

Post by WBFamHist »

It seems from all the recent comments that something adverse is happening with the 6.2.5 version of the program over the past couple of weeks. Maybe this should be investigated by the technical team as several people are experiencing problems with the program crashing.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are two different scenarios in this thread, one involves failure to Save to the Google Drive cloud, and the other involves the Family Historian has stopped working error.

The former error is not to do with FH itself, but a side effect of the way Google Drive syncs large files that changed recently.

That latter error is not caused by updating to FH V6.2.5 nor using cloud storage.
It is more likely to do with some Windows Updates affecting FH settings or Printer Drivers.
Over many years it has occurred many times in many versions of FH, which is why there is a [kb]|[/kb] entry.

Checkout how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#errorfamily_historian_stopped_working|> Error: Family Historian Stopped Working.
Since Genie15 mentions displaying Diagrams & Charts, it is more likely to be the printer driver fix that is needed.

BTW: FH V6.2.5 was released in May 2017 so the recent problems are due to other criteria.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Since the middle of October Microsoft have been gradually rolling out the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. It's a big update! It's being done gradually so only some people will have received it yet. The previous version was Windows 10, version 1703, the Creators Update is Windows 10, version 1709.

From Micrsoft web page:
"Windows 10 will notify you when the Fall Creators Update is available for your device. When the update is ready, you'll be asked to pick a time to install it if you're not ready. After it’s installed, your device will be running Windows 10, version 1709. To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select the Start button, then select Settings  > System > About."

Google Windows 10 Fall Creators Update if you want to find out more about it. I'm still getting automatic updates to version 1703, and I'm taking regular images of my C: drive in case the new version misbehaves when it does arrive. I'll bet it breaks a few things!
Last edited by davidm_uk on 04 Nov 2017 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
WBFamHist
Diamond

Post by WBFamHist »

Thanks Mike.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for heads-up David, but issues discussed in this thread are not specifically to do with Windows 10 major updates.
The Google Drive problem is quite independent and probably affects all versions of Windows and FH.
Various small Windows Updates can cause the Family Historian has stopped working error and have done for many years.

BTW:
I've had over 30 Windows 10 Version 1703 updates in last few months. Most don't need a PC Restart so go almost unnoticed.
Checkout Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Update history to view yours.
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

Hello,
I carried out the instructions in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems#errorfamily_historian_stopped_working|> Error: Family Historian Stopped Working.
And no Program Stopped message for last two hours.
Thank you.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Worth commenting that I've been experiencing similar issues using Microsoft's OneDrive recently (albeit not in FH yet). There's probably a general "beware" message there regarding real-time synced backups that are dependent on an external network connection.
Mark Draper