* Downloading FH6.2.5 to laptop-locked out by Windows

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
aaj1945
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Downloading FH6.2.5 to laptop-locked out by Windows

Post by aaj1945 »

I have FH6.2.5 on my desktop. My laptop had previous FH6.2 version. Upon opening FH on the laptop a few evenings ago I was invited to upgrade so I pressed the button and the process started, however part way through it stopped with with an error message -something about a file, but as I had no pen or paper to hand I was unable to record it. I tried again to download the upgrade but this has resulted in this message:
"Windows is unable to access the specified device. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
I am now unable to access FH6.2 project in either the 6.2.5 or the previous version on the laptop.

Should I uninstall FH6 completely and then reinstall? Will FH allow me to do this as loading onto the 2 devises covered by my licence has already been done? Is there an alternative that I should adopt?

The laptop already has one uncompressed full Project Backup copied from the desktop and now, having added many more data on the desktop as the result of demolishing a 15 year brick wall, I wish to update the project on the laptop.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Downloading FH6.2.5 to laptop-locked out by Windows

Post by tatewise »

Firstly a little housekeeping.
Please update your FHUG Profile that shows on the right of your postings.
Click your username aaj1945 top right and choose User Control Panel.
Then on its Profile tab, select Family Historian V6.2 and scroll down to Submit.

Regarding error messages, you should have used Windows Snipping Tool or at least PrtScrn button to capture the message.

Regarding the licence, there is no problem re-installing FH as long it only exists on two PC at any one time.

Instead of using the automated FH upgrade process, download V6.2.5 directly from http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade. If necessary, you can uninstall FH, but then you will first have to install the original purchased FH V6 media (CD/download) and may need to re-enter the licence keys (you have archived them I hope).

To synchronise two PC see the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide which also refers to automated cloud synchronisation techniques.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

Housekeeping done. I must say that I find FHUG much bigger and more extensive than I remember it from several years ago when I last posted a query.
Please note the limitations in my knowlege of computers & computing given in my profile; for those of us born in World War 2 it doesn't come as second nature. I was waiting for an email notification of a reply to my first post but then found that to have this facility I had to tick a box, which is now duly ticked. I have also changed my password to one that is more secure.

So, to the business at hand. Am I to take it that there is no other way of dealing with this Windows block other than to uninstall and then reinstall the FH6 software using the original disc? I do have the disc and a note of the licence key. I feel rather hesitant at undertaking this daunting task lest I screw it up.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

First try download V6.2.5 directly from http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade and install that by running the downloaded file.

Only if that is unsuccessful, might you have to uninstall FH, and install the original FH V6 CD, but it is not that difficult, and I can talk you through the steps.

We also need to ensure your desktop PC and laptop PC have everything synchronised, but that is for later.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

I've tried your first option and received the original error message that led to all this. It is error code 183 and refers to "renaming a file in the destination directory" and I've no idea of what that's all about. I managed to lasoo the error box using the snipping tool, and copy it, presumably to clip board, but after many attempts I have been unable to paste it / send it into this post. I may be using the wrong procedure or misunderstanding terminology.

In any case, it seems that the first option is unlikely to work and so it will be necessary to fully uninstall FH6 from my laptop and then reinstall it from the disc and then download version 6.2.5. For this I will need time slowly step by step to do this without interuption from external events and I will not have the luxury of having that time between now and when I head off overseas this coming Saturday morning. I now have to drive off to chair a 2018 programme planning meeting for the University of the Third Age which will take the rest of today. Further work on solving the Windows lock-out issue will now have to wait until I get back, hopefully in early November.

Thanks for your assistance to date.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I understand you may not be able to try anything until November, but here are some tips.

See fhugdownloads:contents:utility_windows_snipping_tool|> Utility ~ Windows Snipping Tool for advice about using the Snipping Tool.
You cannot use a Copy & Paste via clipboard technique.
Instead, use its File > Save As command, or the Save Snip button, to save as a file (perhaps on your Desktop).
Then either use the Attachments tab Add files button below the Post a reply box, or Drag & Drop the saved file itself.

With the downloaded V6.2.5 from http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade follow the advice in the how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems Introduction.
i.e.
Right-click the downloaded file and choose Run as administrator.
Also make sure FH itself is NOT running during the install process.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

I'm now back on seat.

I have at last, with remote telephone assistance from my brother (BT computing retd) successfully uninstalled FH6, reinstalled FH6 and downloaded version 6.2.5. There are 1or 2 things to be noted from this:

1. The F6 uninstall procedure did not remove 100% of the software, leaving behind a folder named "Family Historian".
2. Consequently during the FH6 reinstall from disc wizard process I was asked whether I wanted to install to the"Family Historian" folder. In my ignorance I said "yes" which led to the error message (code 183) that I cannot create a file when the file already exists! When I retreated and then said "no" to the question the process merely stopped. This led to some criticism of the software from my brother.
3. The problem was resolved by going into "This PC - Program Files (x86) - right click Rename" to add "-old" to the name of the lurking folder, thereby parking it. This freed up the name "Family Historian" to be used for continuation of the upgrade.

I intended to copy the latest FH Project backup from my desktop via usb stick to the laptop now running on version 6.2.5 and there unzipping it. However you have mentioned a PC to PC, (so presumably Desktop to Laptop) synchronisation process. Would this be a preferable procedure to adopt?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is interesting that you got the same error 183 problem as suffered in V6.2.5 download problem (15408).
Re-installing FH does not usually suffer that problem, and I believe is due to some other side effect.
(I suspect it is an over zealous anti-virus effect of Malwarebytes, or McAfee, etc.)
However, you found a suitable workaround, and now have FH V6.2.5 installed on both desktop PC and laptop PC.

So, I advise you follow all the steps in the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
Double-check FH V6.2.5 is installed on both PC as explained in Version 6 Migration Steps at step D).

The Standard Migration Steps are essential to migrate not only your Projects but also any customisation settings.
There are several pitfalls if you don't follow all those steps, so read through them and ask if you don't understand.
They ensure that Media files and any customised Diagrams, Reports, Queries, etc, migrate correctly.

Take note of the Further Advice section regarding Ancestral Sources and auto-synchronisation, but lets get the earlier steps completed first.
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Tatewise,

Re' error code 183, my brother and I established, I think, that in my case the cause was an incomplete uninstall process of FH6. As I have both McAfee and Malwarebytes on both desktop and laptop and the subs renewal for the former has only just started, your ascriping a possible link to error 183 is a little worrying.

FHUG Protocol
As the problem posed by my original post has now been overcome, should migration / sincronisation as a subject require a new post? Otherwise I foresee the development of awfully long tail.
Also, I'm seeing references to numbers which I believe are identifiers to posts or subjects but I dont see such a number being ascribed to my post. What am I missing?

Incidently, by comparison of the control panel on my desktop and laptop, I confrm that both have FH6.2.3 installed. I don't really follow Step D in the Migration Guide. What 4 digit version? To get "Shift" + "Help> About Family Historian" does one have to have FH6.2.3 actualy running???
Apologies if I'm making a fool of myself here.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Re: Error Code 183.
The cause is not exactly clear, but the pre-existence of the Family Historian folder isn't usually a problem.
May be the failed install is a cause, but if you Google Search code 183, anti-virus products are often incriminated.

FH Migration & Synchronisation
Yes, start a new thread for that process.

If you check the address bar at the top of your browser you will see:
www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ . . . f=32&t=15312
The f=32 identifies the Forum and the t=15312 identifies the Topic.
See info:forums|> Forums Usage Tips for many more details about posting in Forums.

Step D) and subsequent steps 1) to 8), except step 4), are performed within FH running.
It is strange that the Control Panel > Programs & Features says the FH version is 6.2.3 when you earlier said you had successfully downloaded and installed V6.2.5.
If step D) confirms you have Version 6.2.3.? then you will neeed to perform step C).
aaj1945
Diamond

Post by aaj1945 »

Morning Tatewise,

Re my post of yesterday:

Para 3: ah yes, now I see it! So all posts within a subject have the same identifier No

Para 4: Apologies - for 3 read 5. I really must check for type-os before sending!!!

I will now send a post re' synchronisation to start the new thread.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Re: Error Code 183
I am fairly certain that Malwarebytes is the probable cause of the problem.
I have today had a similar problem running an update for some other software (Which is updated almost monthly). I have only had this error since installing malwarebytes.
Just making sure the software was not running was not enough, I had to restart and run the update procedure before anything else started.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As confirmed in V6.2.5 download problem (15408) and advised in how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems using Safe Mode to install is often a solution as it ensures very little but Windows is running and the Internet is disconnected.