* Importing from external drive

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jackie Evans
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Importing from external drive

Post by Jackie Evans »

I've recently replaced my 11 yr old XP computer which had FH4, and now have Windows 10. I shall soon be installing FH6. All my data (no photos, media, saved diagrams etc) is stored as a gedcom on an external drive. I'm hoping that once FH6 is installed, I can just import the data. Is it going to be that simple? Will there be any problems with jumping fro FH4 to FH6? Will the move preserve the census icons added to individuals? Is there anything I should beware of? Any hints and tips anyone?

I'm sure upgrading is a common query and I've hunted all over the forum/knowledge base but can't find what I'm looking for. If it's there somewhere, just point me in the right direction!

Thanks for your patience
Jackie
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Importing from external drive

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Jackie.
I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum because the Importing and Exporting Forum is, as it says, for "Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program."

Unfortunately, the mix of migrating from XP to Win 10 and FH V4 to FH V6 may be challenging.
If you could upgrade from FH V4 to FH V6 on XP then it would be easier, but that is not possible.
If you had upgraded to FH V5 on XP then it would have been easier to migrate to FH V6 on Win 10.
If you had been running anything later than XP such as Vista or Win 7, then it would have been easier.

The advice you need is in how_to:move_settings|> Move Family Historian Settings and Projects.
If anything is unclear, then please ask again, rather than guess and risk corrupting your data.

There should be no problem migrating the Gedcom file from FH V4 to FH V6 but there are some details to consider.
  • Is it a stand-alone Gedcom file or a Project folder within the Family Historian Projects folder?
    If the former, then I strongly advise you use File > Project Window > New Project and import it as a new Project, otherwise several important features are inhibited. See how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects.
    If the latter, then remember to alter File > Project Window > Location to point to your external drive.
  • Regarding Census Icons, do you mean custom Record Flags or custom Diagram Icons?
    The former should be preserved as they form part of the Gedcom file data.
    The latter will NOT be preserved unless you migrate your Settings as advised above.
  • Customisation and Preference Settings not stored in the Gedcom file.
    If you have customised any features mentioned in the advice above, such as Diagrams, Icons, Fact Sets, Queries, Reports, Text Schemes, etc, then follow the advice for moving each type of customisation or preference setting.
Finally, study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and work through all the topics.

If anything is unclear, then please ask again, rather than guess and risk corrupting your data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Thanks Mike, have now successfully imported my FH data. I'm stuck though on how to move settings. The knowledge base gives clear instructions but (and I'm almost too ashamed to admit this) I don't know how to find where the Calico Pie folder is, nor where the C drive information is located. I have got a document called 'FH icons' which is what I want but don't know where to copy it to. I'm finding Windows 10 very confusing!

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK Jackie - yes the jump from XP to Win 10 will be something of a culture shock.
One complication is the Calico Pie folder is located differently in those two systems (it changed with Windows Vista).

There are some clues in how_to:move_settings|> Move Family Historian Settings and Projects.
Follow the links to glossary:family_historian_program_data_folder|> Family Historian Program Data Folder which explains where the Calico Pie folder resides, but don't overlook the Notes about revealing hidden folders.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

On reading your posting again, I presume all your missing Census Icons, etc, are in the FH icons folder you mentioned.
So on XP your Diagram > Options > Boxes tab Conditions Edit Features dialogue Icon options <<Select icons held within that FH icons folder.

Unfortunately, that arrangement does NOT migrate easily from PC to PC.
You will need to follow the advice in how_to:move_settings#diagram_icons|> Move Family Historian Settings and Projects > Diagram Icons.
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Oh dear, I seem to be going round in circles. the C:Program Data file has got Calico Pie, Family Historian in it so I was stumped there.

Thinking that I would just have to start from scratch again with census flags I searched for the instructions that I followed before. All I could find was flags within Ancestral Sources which I haven't got.

Then tried the Diagram>options> boxes etc suggestion and I got as far as Edit but there's no icon selection option but there is 'select record flag' but OK and apply had no effect.

Sorry to be such a pain: this must be testing your patience.

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

This is a tricky operation, so it will take a little understanding. Don't worry about my patience ~ I have plenty.
Also it will help me if you explain exactly what commands you are using, and on which PC, and why you are stumped.

There are several issues to consider.

Firstly, please confirm that your Diagrams using Census Icons are saved as Custom Diagram Types rather than customised Standard Diagrams otherwise the following steps 1) & 2) will not be successful.
If necessary, open your usual Diagram that displays Census Icons and use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type and give it a memorable name.

1) Program Data
The objective here is to migrate your custom data settings from the Win XP PC to the Win 10 PC.
That process is described in how_to:move_settings|> Move Family Historian Settings and Projects.
The important instruction is:
"If transferring from Windows XP, then check that the folders and files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ are copied to C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\"
i.e.
On Win XP use Windows Explorer to copy its Family Historian folder to a pen drive.
On Win 10 use File Explorer to copy from the pen drive to its Family Historian folder.
You seem to have found the Family Historian folder on both PC, so that should be straightforward.
This step must be completed with FH closed before attempting the the steps below.

You must then re-install FH V6.2.5 on the Win 10 PC to convert the customised Diagram files, etc.
If you are unsure about doing this then ask for advice.

2) Diagram Icons
The objective here is to migrate your Diagram Icons, which are NOT included in the Program Data above.

On Win XP in FH in Diagram > Options > Boxes tab, select Condition Record Flag.
In some Flag tabs below, click Edit Features and in the Icons section click <<Select.
That will identify the FH icons folder that needs to be copied, and FH can be closed.
On Win XP use Windows Explorer to copy that FH icons folder to a pen drive.

On Win 10 use File Explorer to copy FH icons from the pen drive to a suitable folder.
I advise you use your Family Historian Projects folder, or the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons\ folder.
Anyway, make a careful note of its full path name in the folder hierarchy.

On Win 10 in FH in Diagram > Options > Boxes tab, the Condition Record Flag should now exist.
On first Flag tab below, click Edit Features and in the Icons section click <<Select.
Browse to the FH icons folder path noted above and choose the desired icon file. Click Open and OK.
Repeat for each Flag tab.

3) Ancestral Sources
Assuming you have customised AS, then its settings need migrating too.
See the ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide for advice.
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

I've spent ages over the weekend trying to come to grips with this but have to admit defeat. Rather than risk corrupting my data I think maybe starting census flags/icons (whatever the term is) from scratch might be the best option. Problem here is that I can't make sense of the instructions! I managed perfectly easily in V4 so I can't really understand why I'm having such difficulties. The instructions don't seem to correspond with what I see on the screen. In V4 I also added an icon to each of my direct ancestors but I can't even manage that. Feeling extremely stupid and rather dispirited.

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jackie, I am sure there is a way forward.
I am not sure that you can even start from scratch, because your Project already has the Record Flags.
It is the Diagram Icons that are the problem on Win 10.
The first step is to understand that the Flags on the Individual records will still exist in Win 10.
It is the Box Conditions in the Diagrams that associate those Flags with the Icons that have been upset in Win 10.

Let us perhaps just deal with one one issue at a time.
Importantly, do not panic, do not guess, just carefully follow the instructions.

Please confirm that on Win XP in FH your Diagrams using Census Icons are saved as Custom Diagram Types rather than customised Standard Diagrams.
If not, then open your usual Diagram that displays Census Icons and use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Custom Diagram Type and give it a memorable name.

If those instructions do not make sense, then please explain what does not match what you see on your PC.
You can post a screen-shot via the Attachments tab below the Post a reply text box.
To obtain a screen-shot follow the instructions given here.
Alternatively, if you explain where you are getting stuck, then I can post screen-shots to illustrate the steps.

BTW: You won't corrupt your Project data on Win XP and probably not on Win 10 either. But even if you did upset the Win 10 Project, you can simply copy it from Win XP again.

If all else fails, then you could ask Calico Pie for assistance, and they may use remote PC access to take over your PC and perform the migration.
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Thanks for explaining about the box conditions but I'm afraid I'm still in a fog about the rest.

Everything from the XP computer is now on Win 10 and to all intents and purposes the old one is no more.

I don't understand what 'Diagrams using Census Icons' means. I just used the main diagram window and added flags to the boxes there using 'edit/record flag'

I know how to access 'edit boxes' and can see the 'conditions' etc - it's knowing how to proceed from there that has me stumped.

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

By "Diagrams using Census Icons" I mean any Diagram customised to display the Census icons.
Some of your Diagrams may not be customised to display Census Icons and we are not interested in them.

So if you can see the Boxes tab Condition list, one should be Record Flag with a Flag: tab for each Census year as shown below. Do you get that far?
Condition Record Flag.png
Condition Record Flag.png (17.46 KiB) Viewed 13927 times
Select a Flag: tab, click Edit Features, and you should be able to tick Icon and <<Select any Icon file.
Does that work?

They may not yet be your Diagram Icons, but we can tackle that next.
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

I'm with you so far!
Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is good, so now you need to get your custom FH Icons from XP to Win 10.

On Win XP use Windows Explorer to copy that FH icons folder to a pen drive.
On Win 10 use File Explorer to copy FH icons from the pen drive to a suitable folder.
I advise you use your Family Historian Projects folder, or the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons\ folder.
If you put the Icon files directly into the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons\ folder, then the problem will never arise again.

In FH Boxes tab Condition, select first Flag: tab, and click Edit Features as before.
Now you should be able to tick Icon and <<Select any of your custom FH Icon files.
You just have to browse to its location depending where you saved it.

Just repeat the process for each Flag: tab.
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Quick query: Will Control C & Control V (my usual method of copying & pasting) work for copying a folder? I haven't yet found my way round Win 10 to be able to manage a 'drag & drop'.

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, all the popular keyboard shortcuts work just the same in Win 10.

It is much the same copying process as you used to copy the C:\...\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder from XP to Win 10.

Also all the usual folder or file Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop work the same in Win 10 File Explorer as in XP Windows Explorer.
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

I've copied the FH icons into the Calico Pie folder. When trying to add the icons, what should be in the 'look in' box? I'm still getting FHIcons-1 which is the file I copied into the Calico Pie folder.

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you have copied your Icon files into the FHIcons-1 folder, then in File Explorer should look like:
FHIcons-1.png
FHIcons-1.png (41.87 KiB) Viewed 13774 times
In FH in Select Icon dialogue that should look like:
SelectIcon.png
SelectIcon.png (31.25 KiB) Viewed 13774 times
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

No it doesn't look like that on my PC. Where you've got a list of files I've just got pictures of the icons. I'm going to go away and eat worms ...

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You mean like the screenshots below. That is OK, it is just a different View of the same files.
So in Select Icon dialogue just Open the one you want.
FHIcons-1+.png
FHIcons-1+.png (30.88 KiB) Viewed 13764 times
SelectIcon+.png
SelectIcon+.png (22.7 KiB) Viewed 13764 times
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Yippee - I'm nearly there. Some of the census record words had disappeared from the tabs but I was able to add them. The only thing that's missing now is the flag attached to ancestors. Just want to check before I go ahead: would this be to use 'add condition' then 'expression'?

I'm really sorry to have been such a pain with this - and apologies in advance because I have another query regarding sizing ( I can barely see the census flags) which isn't really to do with importing so I'll ask it as a separate question - sorry again and very many thanks for your help with this.

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Not sure how you got there, but I'm glad you are pleased.
It does not sound like you copied the C:\...\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder from XP to Win 10.
Otherwise those missing Flags and Conditions would be there.
I wonder what other custom settings from XP you will discover are missing from Win 10.

You also need to keep distinct the difference between Flags and Icons.
Flags such as 1901 UK Census are attached to Individual records and used in a Condition to invoke an Icon image.
Those Flags could invoke some other feature such as Box Fill colour.
Conversely, other Conditions can also invoke Icons as is the case below for ancestors.

So to invoke the Ancestor Icon image you need a Condition with an Expression instead of a Record Flag.
Probably the Expression you need is =IsAncestorOf(%INDI%,%CUR_FILE_ROOT%).
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have learned that when you view 'large ikons' in the files it takes up space on your hard drive. So when you have finished looking at the ikons change that page to 'list' and the space is reduced. Do this to all the pages when you are not viewing images. Only when you get to a particular file change views to large ikons.

The above has been my experience

Victor
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Somehow, no idea how, all the males in my database have acquired a 1901 census icon and I can't get rid of them. I'm now too scared to do anything about adding an icon to ancestors in case they get attached to the wrong people. Unless you tell me that it's easy to get rid of these rogue icons, I'll leave you in peace for now and raise the question about the tiny icons in the future.

Thanks again

Jackie
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In solving this kind of situation you have to think about which Condition is invoking the Icon.
Since it is every Male box that has the Icon, then it must be the Sex is Male condition.
I suspect you have selected the Condition Sex and Male tab, then in Edit Features have added the Icon.
If you repeat that selection and untick the Icon feature then they will be just as easily removed.
BoxSexMaleIcon.png
BoxSexMaleIcon.png (25.44 KiB) Viewed 13632 times
Jackie Evans
Gold

Post by Jackie Evans »

Brilliant - that's done it.

Thanks
Jackie