* Hints have lost their colour?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jessie 888
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Hints have lost their colour?

Post by Jessie 888 »

A minor problem but has anybody else lost the colour at the top of their Find My Past hints?

When you have an array of about 12 hints, it was really handy to be able to spot the Birth hints and do all those together because they were all in the same colour. Obviously, I can actually read that they say Birth but my eyesight isn't brilliant and it slows me down!

It only started happening a few days ago, and I don't know if it's a problem with FH or FMP or my computer?
temp5.PNG
temp5.PNG (163.65 KiB) Viewed 8055 times
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Hints have lost their colour?

Post by jbtapscott »

I noticed the same today - it looks as if FMP have introduced new "pictures" and changed their naming conventions as all the grey ones now have the word "Civil" in them.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Oddly, I am seeing a mixture: some in colour but others in grey with the word 'Civil'.
I wondered if it was a distinction between parish records and GRO index, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In the example below, the grey 'Civil' births link at left of the second row links to an entry in the category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records and the sub-category is Civil Births. But the same is true of the two red links to births and baptisms!.
Attachments
Hints.JPG
Hints.JPG (111.87 KiB) Viewed 8042 times
Lorna
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Well, I'm glad it's not just me!

When it first started, I noticed the change to include the word Civil and the loss of colour. The next day the colours came back for a few hours then disappeared again.

I hope it's just teething problems with a new system and the colours will eventually return.
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi,
Not being factitious but I don't really mind what colour they are or their title as long as they show up, which can take several goes, particularly on first tries, as per posts several months ago!
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I think the reason for the colour change has just become obvious, the search screen now separates Civil and Parish Records.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
My first thought is that this is detrimental, previously you got Civil and Parish returned on searches for births etc, presumably we will have to do this twice now. I'd like to know if FMP consulted users first or is it some IT bod thinking they know best.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I thunk it's an excellent split and a great improvement -- it's a real pain trying to find parish births deaths marriages etc in a sea of civil events. I use the GRO site or FreeBMD to search the civil events because the indexing is better or the search facility more flexible and typically only want to search parish events on FMP. (I haven't checked, but even better if the search forms are more tailored to the different civil and parish event types).

An alternative is the Ancestry approach where if you search (for example) for births, you can review the results via recordset -- not quite as convenient as looking at all parish events in one search, but better than having everything lumped together.

Just goes to show we all work differently.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I am not I understand your problem with FMP.
If I perform a Search in the Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records collection there is a list on the left below Your search criteria very similar to the recent screenshot from David.
Each sub-collection, such as Parish Baptisms, shows the number of matching results in (parentheses), and clicking on that sub-collection shows just those results.

When you change (sub-)collection, the Search filters change appropriately, usually giving more fields the narrower the collection.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Now it does, Mike, but that's a recent change -- it used to group (e.g ) parish and civil marriage together -- I know, because I'm doing a large scale study of circa 400 people with the same name born between 1860 and 1870, and the only way to strip out the civil marriages from the list of results on FMP was by eye -- ditto births and deaths.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

the search screen now separates Civil and Parish Records.
Yes, but as I said in my previous post this split is not (yet?) obviously reflected in the different colour coding. In the example I gave, the two red hints called Births and Baptisms are linking to civil records (GRO index). They are still red today. At the moment the colour coding is simply misleading and confusing. Perhaps we just need to wait for FMP to finish sorting things out.
Lorna