* Expressions with icons

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Expressions with icons

Post by E Wilcock »

Since you invited this question Mike.
I have been using icons to mark certain individuals on tree diagrams. In order to do this I first created a flag to mark the condition and then on the diagrams page, attached an icon to the flag. Then I have to add the flag manually all the time or repeatedly run a query.

When you suggest using expressions rather than a flag, I think you are saying that one can program fh to add the icon to any person for whom a particular tag has a certain value? For instance a value in religion to show membership of a particular religion? Or nationality to show a particular citizenship.

Could you please give an example sentence for this sort of Expression. First selecting the Tag and then the condition contains text, but I think I am doing it wrong.
Are the expressions used the same as for queries?
PeterR
Megastar

Re: Expressions with icons

Post by PeterR »

Have you seen how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions?
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Yes - I always read both the instruction book and the knowledge base before posting.
The trouble is I dont understand them. I am an intelligent woman and I am not lazy.

The help systems for fh are to my mind its greatest disadvantage and have frustrated my earlier attempts to use the software. They are cluttered,complex and often obscure, possibly because the intention is to include every alternate possibility.

I have been collecting the simple guidance given me by Jane and Mike and pasting it into a word document. If you found the answer to my question, it would be a kindness to paste it in as a reply.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In general, the Expressions (comprising Data References and Functions) are essentially the same wherever they are allowed, and in most cases there is a <<Select or <<Insert or similar button to open the Date Reference Assistant dialogue, but for Functions you just have to work from the Help pages and Knowledge Base.

The Expression you would need to test for a Religion of say Catholic is
=IsTrue( %INDI.RELI% = "Catholic" )

The %INDI.RELI% data references is obtained via the <<Insert Data Ref button for Individual - Attributes - Religion.

The =IsTrue( ... = ... ) function for comparing values occurs a lot in the Worked Examples of how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions.

You just have to know that the 'value' of an Attribute is supplied by its Data Reference.

The similar Expression for Nationality of say British is
=IsTrue( %INDI.NATI% = "British" )
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Blyghton
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Blyghton »

E Wilcock wrote:Yes - I always read both the instruction book and the knowledge base before posting.
The trouble is I dont understand the https://pewarriors.com/sizegenetics-review-and-results reason the sizegenetics works for them. I am an intelligent woman and I am not lazy.
Hey Tatewise that was really helpful! Thanks.
Last edited by Blyghton on 04 Aug 2017 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you so much Mike - It has taken a bit of time but I have managed it.

I was using the Diagram/Diagram Options/Boxes/Expression menu. There is an insert data reference assistance. But it offers a choice of all facts and attributes, making me think that one had to start with the attribute name, and then use the = sign. So not as helpful as your two examples.

I was using flags because I was used to flags in TMG but I now understand the full advantage of using Expressions instead in fh, because they enable one to select different values for the same Tag.

However, I have not been able to find out how to display an expression in a column on the person list. With flags it is simple. I think it needs a query, but I have postponed learning about fh queries until I have completed the data entry. If I learn it now, my aging memory will have forgotten by the time I come to use them.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What Expression do you want to use in an Individuals tab Column of the Records Window?

Right-click on any Column heading and choose Configure Columns.

If you simply want to show the value of the Religion Attribute, then find it in the Item list on left.
(Unfortunately, even in the Attribute Type section they are not in alphabetical order.)
Select the desired Item and click > button in middle to add to Column list on right.
Use the black up/down arrows below to rearrange the order of the Columns and click OK.

For something more sophisticated such as an Expression, scroll to the bottom of the Item list and select <Other...> and click > button.
In the Add Column dialogue enter a column Heading, and an Expression in a similar way as the Box condition Expression using the <<Insert Data Ref button for data refs. But in this dialogue there is also a Sort Direction option.

In future if you need to change a Column Heading/Expression/Sort Direction then select its entry in the Column list, and click Edit button.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Wow! I didnt know one could do any of that Mike. Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is introduced in the Records Window chapter of Getting the Most From FH.