* TMG to FH Source fields

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Linda Reinfeld
Famous
Family Historian: V7

TMG to FH Source fields

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

In importing TMG Sources to FH the Author field does not go into the appropriate field, also the Publication data.
When I run a report in FH with sources the Sources are correctly identified i.e. Author: Torrey ......
So FH knows who the author is.
Are there plans to move the TMG source data to the appropriate field in FH?

Thanks -

Linda Reinfeld
tatewise
Megastar

Re: TMG to FH Source fields

Post by tatewise »

Presumably you have seen how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG).

I believe the TMG direct import in FH V6.2.2 is better than in FH V5 that your Profile says you have.
As far as I am aware the standard Source fields already import appropriately.

Linda, if the FH Report shows the correct Author then it must have imported correctly.
Where are you looking for the Author to say does not go into the appropriate field?
i.e.
In the Records Window on Sources tab, open the Property Box of the imported Source record.
Are the Author and Publication Info boxes correct or not?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Linda Reinfeld
Famous

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Hello Mike -

I did a direct import from TMG to FH version 6.2.2
Yes I have seen the Knowledge Base direct import info.

In the Records window of the Sources tab of the Property Box:
Title, Type and Short Title are filled in.
The other fields are blank.
Except for the Notes field.
That has:
Author: Corey, Deloraine Pendre
Given Name: Deloraine
Publish Date: 1899
Publisher: the author

Thanks for the help

Linda Reinfeld
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Linda, could you please update your FHUG Profile to show you have FH V6.2 to the right of your postings.
Click on your user-name top right, choose Profile and then [ Edit Profile ].
Select the FH V6.2 then scroll down and Submit.

Yes, the Import Guide says elements are put in labelled Notes.
It would be quite easy to write a Plugin to move the Author: and Publisher: labelled notes to the appropriate fields.

It seems that Author is not a mandatory standard field in TMG and in the Sample project is only used by a handful of Source records, so I suspect FH does not identify those elements and just adds them as labelled Note text..
Linda Reinfeld
Famous

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Hello Mike -

I have updated my profile. I'm not sure where the original information came from.

I'm also not sure there there are any mandatory standard fields in the source templates. However, author is in quite a few of the templates.
A plug-in would be useful.

Thanks for the info

Linda Reinfeld

I'm trying to convince my friend that FH is better than RM, but she is leaning in the other direction - one reason being the source templates....
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Linda, your original Profile was established in Nov 2014 when you joined.
Unfortunately, it has NOT been updated, as you can see to the right of your postings it still says V5.
You probably forgot to scroll down to click Submit.

The 'standard' TMG Source fields are the Source type & Abbreviation plus a Title of some sort, which become the Type, Short Title and Title in FH. Because FH adheres closely to the GEDCOM specification, it is constrained to the fields shown in its Source Property Box, but that allows its data to migrate to other products that support GEDCOM (and most do to some degree) including online trees & websites such as Ancestry, FindMyPast, FT Analyzer, GedSite, TNG, ZoomPast, etc.

The way to implement custom fields is to use labelled Note text as employed by FH in the TMG import. There is the Plugin Add Source From Template that offers such custom labelled Note text and other options for creating customised Source records.

You could make the suggestion of Author, etc, being treated specially by contacting Calico Pie via https://support.calico-pie.com/open.php.

Try the attached Move Labelled Notes to Source Fields Plugin Version 0.1 Date 07 Feb 2017.
Ensure you have a Gedcom Backup just in case!!!
The Plugin will move the following labelled Note text to the Source field named in the order listed:
Author: to Author
Publisher: to Publication Info
Publish Date: to Publication Info
It produces a Result Set of the changes, which can be reversed by using Undo > Plugin Updates before closing FH.
It can easily be changed to use other labels and other fields in any order.
Last edited by tatewise on 31 Jan 2024 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I had not even noticed this, however would add a comment. Although TMG provided quite a variety of source templates and that appears to be one of the attractions of Roots Magic, there were those who took another approach. Terry Riegel who guided many of us through TMG used a "Simple source" template for every source type.

The template was based on the one for an authored book and contained Title and Author. TMG users who followed this - as I did - will probably have a great many authors in their source data. And of course the supposed book titles come out in inverted commas.
Linda Reinfeld
Famous

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Hello Mike -

Wow! I finally figured out how to get the plug-in, install it, run it, and everything looks great, on first look!
You said I could contact Calico Pie - but I don't need to now - their service couldn't be nearly as fast as yours!
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and prompt action. Quite impressive.

One point about sources - you said TMG has 3 fields, title, short title & source type.
The short title is not quite a short title. This field is actually called abbreviation. It is the field that shows up in the list of sources. I think most people use that field to group sources - such as census, book, Find A Grave, etc. The short title is another field in a source template that a person will have to fill in to create an abbreviated title (for the 2nd footnote).

My profile has now changed.....

Again, thank you.

Linda Reinfeld
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am glad that worked for you, but it would help if you could still tell Calico Pie, because then FH may get improved for the benefit of other TMG migrants in the future, and it will avoid the need for Plugins.

In my last reply I did say: "The 'standard' TMG Source fields are the Source type & Abbreviation plus a Title of some sort...". Abbreviation is actually better than Short Title because the GEDCOM associated tag is ABBR. As far as I could tell, not every TMG Template defines Short Title, whereas Abbreviation is predefined in the Source dialogue. That Abbreviation appears in the list of TMG Sources no doubt influenced Calico Pie to use it as the FH Short Title which also often appears in the FH Sources list.
Linda Reinfeld
Famous

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Hi Mike -

Talking about abbreviation & short title - Yes, you did say abbreviation; however, when I go to the source record (individual record, click on fact in fact tab, click on blue arrow in Source box) it shows labeled fields of Title, Type, Short Title etc. The field that in the Gedcom is listed as Abbreviation comes into FH as the Short Title. And as I said, short title is a different field in the source templates. Sorry I wasn't as precise as I should have been! I know how important that is....

Thanks for your help -

Linda Reinfeld
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is essentially correct.
The GEDCOM field tag is actually ABBR and yes FH names that field Short Title.
It is an unfortunate coincidence that some but not all TMG Source Templates also use the name Short Title.