* Source types

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
londonscorpion
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Source types

Post by londonscorpion »

I have just created a new project in FH version 6, and created a number of census citations. I now find that my diagram expressions (working well in other projects) are not working because my census sources do not have a Source Type (of e.g. Census UK 1941). I cannot find any option to create the Source Types. Can anyone help.
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Source types

Post by LornaCraig »

In the Records window, Sources tab, click on a Source to open its Property Box. On the Main tab of the Property Box there is a field labelled Type. (If it is not showing you may have to enlarge the width of the Property Box.)
Either enter a new Source type there, or double-click in the field to open the list of existing Source types.
Lorna
londonscorpion
Diamond

Post by londonscorpion »

Many thanks Lorna. Right on the nail.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

If you use AS to enter your data, it should automatically create the census source with the type "Census"
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I would recommend you use ancestralsources:index|> Ancestral Sources to capture all your new Source data for BMD & Census records, because that ensures consistent data entry for such as Source Types and Titles, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
londonscorpion
Diamond

Post by londonscorpion »

Thanks for the AS heads up.

Mike, you may remember a long exchange we had some while ago on expressions. In FHv6 I have adopted a naming convention for the Source Records/Type field for census sources that has the format "Census "{Country} {Census year}: e.g. Census UK 1851.

I do use AS and it would be useful to configure the Sources/Source Type field on the Tools/Options/Census settings screen to replicate this. My understanding from the AS Help file is that you can only put in fixed text e.g. Census, which means that I have manually change each census source record created by AS.

If this is not available, what's the chance of getting AS to include this feature.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct that AS does not allow the Source Type to be customised with {keywords}.
Post your request in the Ancestral Sources Forum and Nick Walker might oblige.

Checking back in that Using expressions (12570) posting, it seems that the main purpose of that setting is to govern Icons in Diagrams.

With that in mind it would be just as easy for an Expression to test say the Short Title (ABBR) or the Publication Info (PUBL) field instead of or as well as the Source Type (_TYPE) field.
AS has a Template for the Short Title and the Publication Info is derived from the Census Template Reference.

So there are ways of using AS as it is and achieve your objectives, but may need some retrospective adjustments to your Source records.
londonscorpion
Diamond

Post by londonscorpion »

I have over 230 UK censii alone, so updating existing sources, would be a bit of a chore. I think I'll try and persuade Nick. Thanks for the other info on AS.
londonscorpion
Diamond

Post by londonscorpion »

Mike, the expressions technique that you explained in the "Using expressions (12570)" posting is working like a dream and I want to stick with it. It sets my Icons perfectly.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

AS is unlikely to get updated quickly.
Changing the AS Short Title Template and the Box Expressions is relatively trivial and I would help.

You could continue working with both your current and the new style in parallel until satisfied it works.

If you wanted to convert the current style Source records to the new style, I could write a Plugin very quickly to move the Source Type to the Short Title, etc.
londonscorpion
Diamond

Post by londonscorpion »

Mike, Sorry for the delay in getting back. Thanks for the offer of help, but I think I'll stick with what I have got - you worked so hard to get that right for me. It's no big deal to have to modify the source type. Just got to remember to do it! If things change, may I get back to you?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, OK.