* Data source

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Paul_Birmingham
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Data source

Post by Paul_Birmingham »

I have used Family Historian for years, but probably not as well as I should have! Unfortunately Jane's courses are too far from me.

I have a very comprehensive family tree, going back many centuries, and I have tried to use concrete data such as Censuses, bmd certs etc to ensure I have not been following a wrong path.

My question is how can I use FH to show what records I am totally confident about and what records are derived from other peoples family trees such as from Genes Reunited that may be more speculative.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Data source

Post by tatewise »

There are numerous ways to tackle this, and it partly depends on exactly what records you are talking about.

I will assume you are primarily focussed on Individual Records obtained from 'speculative' sources.

No doubt when you have used 'concrete data such as Censuses, BMD Certificates, etc ' you set the Source Citation Assessment to Primary evidence or perhaps Secondary evidence.

So with 'speculative' sources, create a Source record for say the specific Genes Reunited Tree and cite that for each Individual Record or each Fact obtained from there, and set the Source Citation Assessment to Unreliable or Questionable. The Source record can hold details of the author of the tree, its web address, etc, etc.

If you download a Gedcom from an online tree and use File > Merge/Compare File to incorporate into your master Project, then it offers to create & cite a Source record for each added item.

See also Quantify quality of relationships (14308) and how_to:recording_credibility_of_family_relationships|> Recording Credibility of Family Relationships.

I am sure others will offer other techniques.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I would say that you should not add speculative people to your main FH project at all. Keep your main project for people that you can prove belong to that tree.

How about creating additional projects for speculative people? If they subsequently become proved you can either add them manually to your main project, or if there are many merge them in (after making a backup first).

There is a halfway house in that you could mark speculative people with the In Progress flag, making them obvious in diagrams by customising their boxes in diagrams and using a "men at work" icon.
Attachments
02dec2016a.JPG
02dec2016a.JPG (10.17 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
Trevor Rix
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Trevor

I would like to use your idea of work in progress marker in diagrams. Can you provide more 'basic' instructions on how to use it please.

BR

David
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

FH provides a flag In Progress in the default list of flags. I assume that you know how to assign a flag to an individual?

Download from the link below the Men at Work.bmp icon to your C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons folder (the path may be different in your version of Windows).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grti0otfzglau ... k.bmp?dl=0

Then, in Diagram Options click the Boxes tab, Add Condition, Record Flag, pick In Progress. Assign the Men at Work icon. Set the Box Line to 2¼pt, Dotted. OK as many times as you need to exit Diagram Options.

That's it. Diagrams will show the Men at Work icon and a heavy dotted line box for everyone that has the In Progress flag.
Trevor Rix
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank you Trevor

I'll have a go.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BTW: As far as I am aware the only two Flags defined in FH by default are Living and Private, so you would need to create a new In Progress flag.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Thank You Mike. Will Do.

David
David Potter
Megastar