* Record Flags beginner level

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jessie 888
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Record Flags beginner level

Post by Jessie 888 »

What I’m trying to do is to add an image I have of a DNA symbol and attach it to various people in my tree who have done a DNA test. I want it to show up clearly ‘from a distance’ on every diagram or even in the Focus Window to remind me. (I’m adding distant cousins all the time who have confirmed our paper trail with a DNA test but I forget their names!) I just want it to look like my example below?

I started off creating a Named List of all those people (which is still useful) but I’ve been reading the manual and it says that, ‘In general, you should use record flags if you are likely to want the flag to determine the appearance of boxes in diagrams.’ But I can’t find out how to do that? Sorry!
Attachments
Example of DNA symbol in name box.PNG
Example of DNA symbol in name box.PNG (13.04 KiB) Viewed 9190 times
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Record Flags beginner level

Post by Jane »

You can't set the picture using a flag, but you can set an icon, using the Box tab on Diagram options.

how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|Using Flags and Icons and Expressions
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jessie, you are mixing up a number of objectives and techniques, and have been slightly misdirected by by the manual.

We are discussing several features of FH:
  1. Media images linked to Individual records on their Media tab (as shown in your attachment).
  2. Record Flags linked to Individual records using Edit > Record Flags.
  3. Individual records included in a Named List.
  4. Icons on Individual Boxes in Diagrams.
Explanation of those features in more detail:
  1. Media images:
    You probably don't have a photo of those DNA Tested people, so you lose nothing if you add that DNA image to the Media tab of each one. That will appear in the Focus Window as per your attachment, and in Diagram Boxes where the photo usually goes, and in Reports where the photo usually goes, and that probably satisfies your request, but read on...
  2. Record Flags linked to Individual:
    These cannot affect the Focus Window image, and only appear in Reports in a textual form. See below for Diagrams.
  3. Individual records included in a Named List:
    These are very flexible, and easy to add/remove, but cannot affect the Focus Window image, and only appear in Reports in a textual form. See below for Diagrams.
  4. Icons on Individual Boxes in Diagrams:
    The manual compares Record Flags with Named Lists and they are very interchangeable.
    As explained in how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions you can add Box Icons using Record Flags or an Expression such as =IsInList(%INDI%,"DNA") for Named List or =HasFlag(%INDI%,"DNA") for Record Flag.
    So the manual is only partly true when saying you should use Record Flags to affect boxes, because Named Lists will work just the same. I suspect that wording stems from FH V3 before Expression Conditions were allowed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jessie 888
Famous

Post by Jessie 888 »

Thank you for the advice, Mike and Jane, but I think I’m going to forget about this one as ‘beyond me’ for the moment. I’ll go back to it in a year and try again because I’m still learning about the basics … even diagrams!

Referring back to your numbers, Mike:
1. I have already added the DNA image to the Media tab of each person but that only pops up when I remember the name of the individual to bring to the Focus Window? (It’s a bad-memory-after-stroke thing! Seeing the spread of DNA-matches visually on a diagram helps me to spot patterns, gaps and groups.) When you say it will appear in ‘Diagram Boxes where the photo usually goes’ … I have left the default where there’s no photos (another reason to leave this until later) and I don’t want every Box showing a photo and don’t know how to show only the DNA-tested lot. As you say, I’m mixing up a lot of techniques and features and I need to go back to the beginning!
4. I tried to understand the Knowledge Base > Using Flags and Icons and Expressions but it was in the Intermediate Section and I’m still working my way through the Beginner Level. When I followed the instructions, I ended up with HUGE icons below the box so I reversed everything quickly and decided to leave it well alone!

Please don’t waste any more of your time explaining this … I’m simply not ready. Or maybe just simple! :roll:
Would spend every waking hour researching my ancestry if my family and friends allowed it! ;)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, some of that does get a bit advanced for a beginner.

However, I thought you were maintaining a Named List of those DNA Tested people, so that should easily remind you who they are.

The reason you got such a large Diagram Icon is you used the large Media image file.
A custom Diagram Icon must be created as a small image file.

If it helps, I have attached a simple Query that will list everyone who has a DNA Media image attached.
BTW: There is a Query Menu option to add them all to a Named List.
Attachments
DNA Tests.fhq
(351 Bytes) Downloaded 198 times
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

The DNA marking is a similar to what I need.

Mike helped me to mark people with a flag and a small icon. If I want to see the pattern within a family, I use the tree and the flagged people show nicely. Very good solution for me.

However, I have just run into a snag. If a person has no parents or children, I seem not to be able to call up a tree image?

If I could view him on his own, he would have his little icon, and I would know I had marked him.

It does happen with lists, say of pupils in a boarding school, or a military unit that one does not have parents or children.

Is there absolutely no way in FH of marking people visually on the Focus window or property box?

I have the flag showing in a column on the list of individuals, but that isnt the same as seeing it when looking at the fact list for a person.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are a number of possibilities that can make your DNA data more visible.

If you select such an 'orphan' person, and display any Diagram, then they will appear on their own with their Icon. Similarly, use Diagram > Insert into Diagram and for any tree select that 'orphan' person to add them to an existing Diagram.

Assuming your DNA Flag has DNA in its name then the DNA Tests query attached earlier in this thread will list them all.
With them all selected you can display them all using View > Standard Diagram Types > Everyone although the layout for family groups is considered unattractive by many users, and you would have to hide some boxes to make sense of it.

You can customize the Main tab of the Property Box to show a tick box for your DNA Flag (or any other Flag).
If you need details of the Property Box cog Menu > Customize Data Entry commands just ask.

FH V6 has a DNA Markers fact defined in the Extended Set added for compatibility with Family Tree Maker and Ancestry. To reveal that in Tools > Fact Types tick Show Hidden then in Fact Set: drop-list top left, choose Extended Set, select all the listed facts and click the Show button. You would need to replace each DNA Flag with a DNA Markers fact (but we could automate that for you). Then that DNA Markers fact would appear in the Facts tab of the Property Box and could be customized to appear on the Main tab too. It would also appear in Reports, and could trigger the same Icon in Diagrams as your DNA Flag does now.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike.
O dear, no I didnt try the all relatives diagram, since the other two had not worked.
I assume that the Any diagram you refer to is the all relatives one?

I am sorry to be such an idiot.

You wrote
You can customize the Main tab of the Property Box to show a tick box for your DNA Flag (or any other Flag).
If you need details of the Property Box cog Menu > Customize Data Entry commands just ask.

I would love to have them show.

But I think I do need help, please.
I have tried more than once this last week, going to the cog, and Customise Data entry. It gives a list of Facts one can add to the main tab of the property box, but there isnt a flag on this list.
If I click record type, it doesnt show Flag as an option.

I have gone to the advanced options but the warnings about incompatible layouts are dire and I havent altered anything.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding Diagrams the All Relatives Diagram is NOT the same as the Everyone Diagram, and the latter is ONLY available on the View > Standard Diagram Types menu.

Here is how to customize a Flag into the Main tab; it seems longer written out than it actually is in practice:-

First use the cog Menu > Customize Data Entry and review the Help.
In top left Tab: drop-list ensure Main is selected.
Bottom left, untick Show most commonly-used items only.
At top of Available Items select <Custom Item> and click central > add button.
Accept the Main area for Individual by clicking OK (this is top area of the Main tab above the Spouse tabs).

We are now going to define this New Custom Item. Click Help and review the advice.
Give it a Custom Item Name: such as DNA Marker and tick Part 1.
Enter whatever Label: you want to appear in Main tab such as DNA Marker Flag.
To enter the Data Reference: click the <<Select button to open the Data Reference Assistant.
About halfway down the list click the [+] next to Flags and choose your DNA Flag then click OK.
(If you had wanted a fact, click [+] against Attributes or Events, choose from list, and then a sub-field.)
Leave the other settings alone and click OK top right.

Your DNA Marker (custom) will appear in the Selected Items list.
Use the black arrows below to move it up to where you prefer it to appear in the Main tab among the other items.
(In future, if you wish to change this item, then select it here, and click Edit Custom Item button.)
Finally click OK and your DNA Marker Flag tick box will appear in Main tab.
You can tick/untick this box to add/remove the DNA Marker Flag.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I had got as far as the Data Reference step - Then gave up as I wrongly thought a data reference needed code.

I may not be able to arrange this till Monday now Mike. But am very grateful for the detailed guidance.

This is turning out very good indeed.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike - I now have the Flag Tab showing on the Main screen.
And for data entry purposes, that is very quick.

However, though I wanted the flag and the ikon as a marker, and the distribution shows very nicely on the family diagrams, and allows one to have a sortable column for it on the main list of individuals -
However looking at the way the Main Fact Tab displays the chosen Facts, I now realise that adding a fact here might be preferable to adding the Flag. Because Flags in FH only allow one value - off or on.
Showing a Fact on the Main Tab allows one to see the data. Instead of showing that a DNA test has been done, a DNA Test Fact, lets one instantly see the result. I have some questions about configuring the Fact Tabs but it needs another Thread.
Bundle
Platinum

Post by Bundle »

Mike,

Re: "Here is how to customize a Flag into the Main tab; it seems longer written out than it actually is in practice:-"

Mike, many thanks for your very clear instructions on how to customise the main tab of the Property Box for setting a flag. I have just used the method for creating a custom flag "Cleaned Record" to help me with my many records that need cleaning and sourcing. A simple tick when I've completed the check. I can now see straightaway when I open someone's property box whether I've done them or not.

Nickie :D
HanniganResearch
Gold

Post by HanniganResearch »

Just a thought from someone who has come to this discussion late!

I use a DNA Emoji in front of the name for everyone who has taken a DNA test and has matches with me. I must admit, it was not an original idea, but it helps to identify people immediately.

While I wish it could be fancier than this: 🧬 - it displays as greyscale in front of the Given Name (on my data) by copy&paste. You can find more information about the Unicode 11.0 DNA Double Helix and Emoji 11.0 at: https://emojipedia.org/dna/

Hope this helps on the beginner level -- where I seem to be stuck with using DNA information with FH7.

John
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is a neat trick and works because FH supports the full Unicode character set including thousands of symbols like that.

A variant of that technique is to add the Custom Id field to the Main tab of the Property Box and fill it with any such symbols to indicate whatever you wish, i.e. 🧬 helix for DNA, 🧹 broom for cleaned, 🚧 roadwork sign for work in progress.

Wherever you put them they can appear in Diagrams, Reports, Queries, etc, and can be searched for using Edit > Find....
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I couldn't even find the first bit to get to the Customize Data Entry :(

Would you mind including a screenshot so I can see where I went wrong?

tatewise wrote: 17 Dec 2016 11:50 <snip>

First use the cog Menu > Customize Data Entry and review the Help.
In top left Tab: drop-list ensure Main is selected.
Bottom left, untick Show most commonly-used items only.
At top of Available Items select <Custom Item> and click central > add button.
Accept the Main area for Individual by clicking OK (this is top area of the Main tab above the Spouse tabs).<snip
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Teresa, lookup the FH Help for the Property Box and its toolbar that has a cog Menu and has many options including Customize Property Box.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Ah - I know that one, was looking for one that said "Customize Data Entry"... ok...now I know where I am :)

Thanks!!
tatewise wrote: 27 Mar 2022 18:50 Teresa, lookup the FH Help for the Property Box and its toolbar that has a cog Menu and has many options including Customize Property Box.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! Menu > Customize Data Entry was what it was called when I wrote that in 2016 with FH V6 but changed in FH V7.