* [Wish List ref 560] Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) report

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
RSellens
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

[Wish List ref 560] Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) report

Post by RSellens »

After recently getting my DNA tested, I am finding that it would be nice to have a version of the ‘how related tool’ that goes a bit further to help with the identification of DNA connections. Rather than just showing a diagram of how two individuals are related, I would like a version of the report that works on multiple people, and could show how they link back into a common MRCA and then report the ancestors of the MRCA as well.

So for example if I select 3 people, the diagram would show that A & B link though their shared grandparents, and the person C links via the Great Grandparents of A&B which would give you a diagram like this for example

Code: Select all

\ /   \ /
    \   /
     MRCA
     /  \
   / \    \
 /     \    \
A      B     C
I know this can be almost done via creating custom diagrams (over laying an ancestors diagram on top of the how related diagram), but they don’t have the advantage of the ‘how related tool’ in that you can regenerate them quickly and easily if you want to include more people as they are identified as links.

The tool would obviously have to check that the people selected do all share a common ancestor (be that a single person or a couple), before the results could be displayed.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) report

Post by tatewise »

You can already do a bit better than inserting an Ancestor Diagram on a How Related Diagram.

Use How Related Tool for A and B as usual.
Use How Related Tool for A and C with Use current diagram, and leave dialogue open.
In the Diagram > Options choose Ancestors and Descendants and set required Generations Up (which is an option your proposal would need to have).
This adds the Ancestors but clears the How Related Routes.
However, they can be quickly reinserted by just clicking Display Graphically button with current Persons, and Use current diagram.
Then pick the other Person from drop-list and click Display Graphically button with Use current diagram again.

Furthermore, this technique could be extended for any number of people.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RSellens
Famous

Post by RSellens »

Hi Mike,
None of that actually works though.... :-(

The use current diagram option is disabled when you try do the second How related, and then changing the diagram options to 'Ancestors and Descendants; wipes out the how related diagram and replaces it by a regular ancestors & descendants diagram.

Richard
Initial Diagram
Initial Diagram
001.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 21486 times
Second How to related showing disabled option
Second How to related showing disabled option
002.jpg (195.57 KiB) Viewed 21486 times
Diagram after rebuild
Diagram after rebuild
004.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 21486 times
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Another possible option is to use a simple query to find the common ancestor for the people you want then do an All relatives diagram for that person and use the "Family Connection Mapper" to add in the Three Routes.

Agreed it's not a one button solution but it is possible.

Another option is to simply use the Family Connection Mapper on a All relatives for your main pool and add a connection mapper line between each of the three pairs.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, there are several fairly quick techniques.

To get the How Related Tool to allow Use current diagram use Tools > Preferences > Workspaces and for Diagram Window set Re-use of Open Windows Permitted to Yes, then my suggestion works.
RSellens
Famous

Post by RSellens »

HI Mike,
Still no joy even changing that option, and restarting the program. The option is only available until you change one of the people in the how related dialog, and then it gets disabled.

Richard
RSellens
Famous

Post by RSellens »

Jane wrote:Another possible option is to use a simple query to find the common ancestor for the people you want then do an All relatives diagram for that person and use the "Family Connection Mapper" to add in the Three Routes.

Agreed it's not a one button solution but it is possible.

Another option is to simply use the Family Connection Mapper on a All relatives for your main pool and add a connection mapper line between each of the three pairs.
Thanks Jane, yes that sort of works, but you get all the siblings, etc and not just the direct lines for the individuals so that diagram is then not very easy to use .

Richard
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

One final trick. In the Family Selection mapper use the select tick all the routes then Select Route Boxes

Now you can Diagram>Selection and Marks>Invert Selection
and finally Diagram>Hide Show>Hide Selected Boxes
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Richard,
My original experiments with the How Related Tool were on V5 and after adjusting the Preferences > Workspaces setting appeared to be the same on V6, but let me double-check.

The 'gotcha' is that both people selected in the How Related Tool must appear in the Diagram to enable the Use Current Diagram option, so that somewhat limits the technique unless you known roughly where they exist in the tree.
Linda Roos
Silver

Post by Linda Roos »

I would really like something similar to what Ancestry displays if at all possible.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first posting on the FHUG Linda.

Can you please explain in what way you believe the variety of FH Diagrams do not offer what Ancestry offers.

Please also note that this thread is dedicated to Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) reports/diagrams.
I did not think that Ancestry offered those?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have added Wish List Ref 560 Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) Diagram that you can now Vote for.
Linda Roos
Silver

Post by Linda Roos »

tatewise wrote:Welcome to your first posting on the FHUG Linda.

Can you please explain in what way you believe the variety of FH Diagrams do not offer what Ancestry offers.

Please also note that this thread is dedicated to Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) reports/diagrams.
I did not think that Ancestry offered those?
Sorry Mike, for some reason I never saw your reply.
What I mean from Ancestry is the diagram you get when you have a Shared Ancestor Hint with someone in your dna match list. It would be great if FH could produce something like this with the how related option.
AncestryDNA Match Antony Field1.png
AncestryDNA Match Antony Field1.png (111.54 KiB) Viewed 17103 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Assuming the associated relatives are in your FH tree then Tools > How Related does produce such a Diagram.
HowRelatedSharedAncestor.png
HowRelatedSharedAncestor.png (101.34 KiB) Viewed 17094 times
Linda Roos
Silver

Post by Linda Roos »

Thank you Mike! That is exactly what I mean :D and I didn't even know it was there.
This will keep me busy for some time...
capnkeith
Famous

Post by capnkeith »

Is it possible to remove the coloured lines and boxes on these diagrams? Or at least have the same colour for each diagram. If using the no spouse and no siblings options, it is not really necessary.
I have looked but have not found a way.
Keith
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is possible.
With the Diagram displayed use Diagram > Family Connection Mapper.
On its cog Menu choose Clear Route.
capnkeith
Famous

Post by capnkeith »

Thanks very much, Mike.
Keith
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

tatewise wrote:Assuming the associated relatives are in your FH tree then Tools > How Related does produce such a Diagram.
HowRelatedSharedAncestor.png
Mike - I have been wondering how to do this. I know how to get the result of a "How Related" question as in the Tools/How Related question. But how do I move from that simple consanguinity answer to create a diagram with two parallel lines of linked boxes as in your reply ?

Any help much appreciated.

john
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

OK ... I have worked it out. Thanks. Might come back aagain for more info but ok for the moment. Thanks. john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In case anyone else was wondering, then after using Tools > How Related click the Display Graphically button bottom left, and choose Hide Spouse & Siblings.

There is some FH Help under the topic Family Connection Mapper (Diagram Window).