* Ancestral Sources v5.2

News and Announcements from the Family Historian World
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources v5.2

Post by NickWalker »

Ancestral Sources version 5.2.0 is now available for download from this website.

Introduction: What is Ancestral Sources?
(Text from ancestralsources:about|:Ancestral Sources)
Ancestral Sources is an application, designed by Nick Walker, to be used in conjunction with Calico Pie Limited's Family Historian to allow faster and more convenient creation of source records with census events, BMD events, occupation attributes, and other facts linked to the sources, and the ability to easily link multimedia images. Ancestral Sources is freeware but the author does appreciate donations that can be made from within the application.

Most of the information that is added to a family history file originates from one of just a few types of documents, namely birth, marriage and death certificates, church baptisms, marriages and burials, and census records. The concept of Ancestral Sources is that it allows the data from these source documents to be entered directly into the software, building up the family history data in a more intuitive approach than the usual methods used by genealogy applications. For example, typically entering a census household entry in a family history application requires multiple facts such as census, occupation, birth, etc. to be created for each individual, all linked back to a source via citations: a very time consuming exercise. Ancestral Sources makes this far easier and much quicker to achieve.

Ancestral Sources is highly recommended for all users of Family Historian. The availability of Ancestral Sources is frequently cited as a key reason to use Family Historian over other genealogy applications that do not have similar functionality.

This program is not in any way associated with or endorsed by Calico Pie Limited.

What's new in version 5.2?

Version 5.2 introduces a number of small, but useful new features and also fixes some bugs which means this is a vital update for users of Ancestral Sources. Quarter Dates are now supported for sources other than census and there are some minor improvements to the image viewer. You can see a full list of changes in this version within the built-in help or on the Ancestral Sources Version History Knowledge Base page.

Donations and Thanks

Many thanks to those who have made donations to the Ancestral Sources project. If you haven't made a donation for a while and Ancestral Sources continues to help you with your family history then please do consider making another donation using the link in the AS Help menu. I have spent many hundreds of hours working on this software and it is great to feel that this is appreciated.

I'm also grateful to everyone who helped me with the testing of Ancestral Sources; thank you so much. Thanks also to Jane, the FHUG admin, for her continued support and encouragement, and to Mike Tate who has done so much to help promote and support Ancestral Sources through this website.

The download is available here:

Ancestral Sources v5.2.0 Download

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources v5.2

Post by tatewise »

Wahull1052, I have moved your posting to Ancestral Sources v5.2 Font Size (14948) in the Ancestral Sources Forum that is more appropriate.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Nick,
I think I have had this problem before - I can't find the donate to AS button, or indeed the AS help menu as you describe
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See the Help command menu on the very top line of the main window as shown in the screenshot.
i.e.
File Edit View (Census) Tools Help

NOT the blue question mark on the toolbar below.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Thanks Mike, I was looking on the FHUG website, not the AS application.
Message to Nick - I just made a donation but managed to put an incorrect email address on for the receipt - if there is any problem contact me, FHUG has my email address, I will see it on my credit card statement so no problem.
If I had a brain I would be dangerous!
Chris
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Chris, I've received it. It is very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Thanks for reminding me, I usually donate to you and FHUG in about March, totally forgot this year. Never quite sure if they are appropriate amounts, I certainly get my moneys worth.
Have a good weekend,
Chris