* Check Installed Plugins Against the Store - Crossover issue

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Check Installed Plugins Against the Store - Crossover issue

Post by Valkrider »

Following on from my other plugin issue on Crossover I decided to run this plugin.

It is showing odd results. See the attached.
NIS.png
NIS.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
nis2.png
nis2.png (19.18 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Check Installed Plugins Against the Store - Crossover is

Post by tatewise »

I suspect Crossover does not support the Windows HTTP Services and in particular the WinHttpRequest.
See Windows HTTP Services and associated pages.

Jane's Check Installed Plugins Against The Store and most of my Plugins rely on that service to inspect the FH Plugin Store online at http://www.family-historian.co.uk/lnk/c ... ersion.php?.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

What about the Lookup Missing Census Facts plugin? That works perfectly in Crossover I would have expected that to have failed too.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You have gone off at a tangent Colin.

My Plugins will all function perfectly, except in Crossover they won't tell you when a later Plugin Version exists in the FH Plugin Store, because the WinHttpRequest service is not supported. It is required to perform the http...php? query to interrogate the FH website.

Jane's Plugin uses nothing but that WinHttpRequest service to check all of your installed Plugins against the FH Plugin Store, and finds nothing, so says they are all Not In Store.

If you are considering that Lookup Missing Census Facts creates a web page, then that uses a different mechanism by telling Windows/Crossover to open an HTML file so that it automatically chooses your default browser. That does not need the WinHttpRequest service.

Similarly, most of my Plugins have a Help & Advice button to open the FHUG Help pages, which uses yet another mechanism.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike, I wrongly assumed it was using the same call.