* Attaching PDF files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
suzanneoswald
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Attaching PDF files

Post by suzanneoswald »

OK, I"m new to FH, so please have patience with me. I have been using other software for well over a decade and I'm still getting used to things here.

I would like to attach PDF files to individuals, but I have no idea how to do this. So far, the only way I can see is to cut and paste the whole document into the notes section and that seems silly.

Would someone please point me in the right direction?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Attaching PDF files

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Suzanne.

As a newcomer I advise you work through how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers especially the Documentation & Tutorials but do not overlook the other topics and follow the links to the rest of our [kb]|[/kb].

See how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|> Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia for general advice on adding Media.

To see some file types such as PDF, when using the Insert Document/Picture/Other media dialogue you must choose the All files (*.*) option bottom right.

If the PDF is a single page, and especially if it is the image of a document, then there are advantages in converting it to an image format such as PNG or JPG so it appears in Reports and on screen without invoking Adobe Reader.

You don't say whether you are familiar with adding other Media such as photos and document images, but essentially the process is the same. Do you understand the concepts of Individual Media, and Fact Media, versus Source Citation Media?

Where you attach such documents depends on what it is. See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers Sources Methods 1 & 2 and also Ancestral Sources.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
suzanneoswald
Silver

Post by suzanneoswald »

I have been attaching all sorts of pictures, I'm well acquainted with that. But, if you try to add a PDF that way, when you click on it you don't open the file, you get the "Edit Media Item" screen. Is there a way to attach a PDF so that I can click on it and open the PDF?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

If you click on the PDF you've attached and then on the Green button above it should open it in your default PDF viewer.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
suzanneoswald
Silver

Post by suzanneoswald »

That's the info I was needing, thank you so much! I can now attach the PDF files and open them from within FH!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Suzanne, how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|> Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia does explain how to do that to open any non-image Media such as PDF, did you not find it?
Maybe it needs rewording?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
suzanneoswald
Silver

Post by suzanneoswald »

I missed the part about how to open it again, sorry. As for the knowledge base, it's just too much to absorb all at once and I have a hard time finding exactly what I'm looking for when I need it. Life here is full of distractions.

Thanks again for the specifics I needed.
shep_pettibone
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by shep_pettibone »

As far as I remember, I had the same issue with understanding how to attach all files except images, pdf's as well. This very thing is quite hard to notice for sure, so I think it's not just about rewording FAQ information, but also doing some UI/UX moves. But maybe it's just because myself got used to working with way different software like this one https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/ in order to get my both pdf and word files amended and to send them to other persons. FH hasn't been updated since almost a year, I do hope they would change it in the next release
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I am not sure why you had problems adding any file. Just open the media tab of the Property box for the record you want to add the file to and drop the file into it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."