* Family Media:Linking to Existing Fact Media

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ronk
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Family Media:Linking to Existing Fact Media

Post by ronk »

After migration from Legacy FT, I have many family member photos that are attached to the Marriage Fact, and I would prefer they were in the Media tab.

For an example, I tried adding to Family Media by linking to an existing Family Marriage Fact Media item. The result is a link is made to the Media, along with the Media Title. However, a link/note attached to the media is not copied, even though a 'dummy' link is indicated, but there is nothing between the quotes "". Isn't the note supposed to be there as well, or am I missing an option? In Legacy FT, the notes were actually descriptions which became link/notes in FH.

For this example, showing the properties of the linked media item in the Family Facts tab, and after the link inserted in the Family Media tab.
1.jpg
1.jpg (152.09 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (145.86 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Taking this further, is there a way to move/convert the multiple selected media items from the Fact tab to the Media tab, assuming there is a way to resolve the above missing link/note?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Family Media:Linking to Existing Fact Media

Post by tatewise »

Yes Ron, the FH Media structure is somewhat unusual.
The fields above (Title, Date, Picture Note, Keywords) are held in the Media record and shared by all links.
The fields below (Link to Face/Detail Frame, Link/Note, Exclude from Diagrams/Reports, Use Note as Caption) although held in the Media record are unique to each link, and there is an internal Auto Serial Id tag _ASID that ties them together.

When you make a new link, that creates a new _ASID, and the lower fields are not copied.

I already had a Plugin to move Marriage Media to Family Media, but on closer inspection it did not copy those Link/Note fields, and had a few other deficiencies, so it took a while to update.

See ATTACHMENTS Move Marriage Media to Family Version 1.1 Date 10 Mar 2016.
[EDIT: ATTACHMENT now deleted as superseded later.]

This moves ALL Marriage Media to their Family Media tab, so if you only want only a selected subset moved the Plugin will need a further update.

Remember to take a File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup before running Plugin, and use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates afterwards if you don't like the updates.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

OK, will give it a try. I saw a thread on this subject with you and another member awhile back, but couldn't find it after considerable searching. Could I ask what the thread topic was? Thanks for linking the plugin. I know the pros and cons were discussed.

Thanks for the plugin updates backup option too. As to backups, I always do explorer backups of the gedcom file before any changes, and at regular intervals do full partition image backups as well. Backup redundancy I find do be crucial especially in experimental/testing mode.

Ron
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

I already had a Plugin to move Marriage Media to Family Media, but on closer inspection it did not copy those Link/Note fields, and had a few other deficiencies, so it took a while to update.
Yes, it moved the media links to Family Media, but the link/notes were not. Were you saying that is not yet working or?

Ron
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The only thread I can find that mentions the Plugin is Importing from Legacy (12713) but the user fixed the problem by changing appropriate 2 OBJE tags to 1 OBJE tags in the Gedcom file, which is perfectly valid if you know your way around Gedcom, and is effectively what the Plugin achieves.

I am aware your backup regime is OK Ron, but like to repeat the advice for others who may follow the thread.

That Plugin should have moved the Link/Notes too!

Could you post the Gedcom for a Family Record that exhibits the Media both pre-Plugin on Marriage Event and post-Plugin on Family Media tab. Please also post the Gedcom of the Media Record itself (it should not be altered by the Plugin).

In your screenshot the Link/Notes are bottom left describing members of front & middle rows, etc.
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Here's FH snippets pre and post plugin, but were you asking for the gedcom record(s) as well? I can get those from the RJ TextEd editor if you need them. My link/notes migrated from Legacy's 'description' area. In group photos, I often described everyone there, then copied (linked) to it for every family member. In FH, I think they might be the equivalent of 'picture notes' perhaps.

I will post the gedcom records too, if that is what you need.
pre-plugin.jpg
pre-plugin.jpg (207.31 KiB) Viewed 7486 times
post plugin.jpg
post plugin.jpg (217.2 KiB) Viewed 7486 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I need to see the Gedcom snippets please: before and after, plus Media record. I need to see the _ASID tags.

BTW: Do you actually want to preserve the Link/Note text or migrate it to the Picture Note, bearing in mind the Picture Note does NOT appear in Reports, but the Link/Note can be a Report Media Caption.
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

OK, hope these are what you asked for. I took a different family with less objects for simplicity.
Included are 3 pre/post images.

FH snippet pre and post
1.jpg
1.jpg (236.36 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
Gedcom family rec snippet pre and post
2.jpg
2.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
Gedcom media rec snippet pre and post
3.jpg
3.jpg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 7468 times

As to whether to migrate 'caption notes' to 'picture notes' , maybe. I am doing some testing to see how TNG and LFT are
affected. I would be editing out the 'picture note' label instead of 'caption note' per some testing I did earlier, but believe otherwise no change in where the note appears in LFT, haven't tested TNG yet.

I know from testing also that keeping both picture and caption notes would double up in Legacy and TNG. As to no report option for picture notes, that's the point I remember from the thread you found. I'm thinking about that.

Ron
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

You had asked about migrating the link/note text to picture note text. At this time, leaving it as a link/note would be fine, if the move media plugin brings it along attached in the family media tab. That way I wouldn't lose any reporting functionality, but would still achieve putting family photos in the family media tab.

Actually, to my view, moving the media (in some cases docs and photos) from marriage (put there due to Legacy constraints) to family improves TNG. The photos and docs are separated in separate headings under the 'family' rather than combined under the 'marriage' heading.

Ron
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Ron, that gives me exactly what I need and will investigate tomorrow.
It looks as if V5 and V6 are behaving differently.
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Great. I am convinced that moving Fact Media to Family Media will be an enhancement for me, both in FH and TNG (assuming the link/note text issue is not too much work to resolve).

BTW...I found the thread I was trying to locate. It was at http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... cture+note Gedcom Export to (TNG). In it the intricacies of caption note, picture note and title are discussed, which relates to the items I'm trying to rearrange a bit. At the time I noticed it, I was trying to understand the interrelationships between those text items in FH, since was doing my first imports from Legacy.

Thanks,

Ron
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ron, I believe I have resolved the differencies between FH V5 and V6.
So try ATTACHMENTS Move Marriage Media to Family Version 1.2 Date 11 Mar 2016 with all the usual caveats.
Last edited by tatewise on 31 Jan 2024 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

Works perfectly in FH, and also exported to and reviewed results in LFT and TNG. All link/notes retained with Fact Media moved to Family Media.

FH looks so good now, I'm a believer in 'PoP', the power of plugins. :D . These, combined with the powerful built-in tools/filters/lists FH already has makes cleanup/correction and ongoing maintenance of the genealogical file a breeze compared to Legacy and other products I've used. Never going back!

Thanks again!

Ron