* Fact Notes and Sources from FTM

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
lebrard
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Fact Notes and Sources from FTM

Post by lebrard »

Hi, I'm new to FH6, coming from FTM. I don't know anything about plugins, queries or Gedcom language, but I've been using them and they've been wonderful -magical!. Still, I have a couple of issues that I can't figure out and wonder if someone can help me:

1. Fact Notes (from FTM): Some facts have a space for information that is the equivalent to the "Description" (of the fact) in FTM. Those facts are fine and the Fact Note goes to Notes in FH.
Some other facts do not have room for the "Description" and the information goes to Notes in FH, subsequently the information from the Fact Note disappears. That information is in FH but I can't find it in the Individual's Property Box. I see them in Narrative reports, and if I use the "Find" query, but I wonder what other notes are missing. Is there a way to see them all in the Property Box?

2. Sources. I used the super general method in FTM. Example: the Source is Baptism Record, and all the rest of the information is in "Citation Detail" in FTM. Therefore, I have several citations per Source. They are shown in FH in "Where within Source" in the Citation window, which is a small space. Is there an automatic (almost magical) way of transferring this information to the "Note:" field, so I can actually read it and if necessary edit it?, or maybe it shouldn't be there in the first place?

Thank you very much!!
Lourdes
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Fact Notes and Sources from FTM

Post by tatewise »

Lourdes, welcome to the FHUG.

Firstly, I advise that you do NOT commit to moving from FTM to FH wholesale just yet. There are significant developments with FH due in V6.1 that is under pre-releasse trials now, and associated Plugins to smoothe the migration from FTM. You have at least a year before making that final move.

What I also advise is you spend the time getting familiar with FH and how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers is a good starting point.

The symptoms you observe are due to the way different products implement the GEDCOM specification, and is not helped by there being two versions: Release 5.5 and Draft 5.5.1.

1. Fact Notes
The explanation for the two types of fact is that in GEDCOM Release 5.5 used by FH some are Attributes that allow a Value/FTM Description, while others are Events that do not. FTM uses GEDCOM Draft 5.5.1 that purports not to have that distinction. On import FH moves those Event Descriptions to an Event Note, but if there already is a Note it becomes a slightly hidden 2nd Note.

They can be seen in the Property Box on the All tab by clicking on the [+] expansion buttons for the Events where you will discover both Note fields.

A workaround is explained in how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) under Quick Fix Plugins in its 1st bullet point, and subsequently use the Import From Ancestry or FTM Plugin which will merge the Note/Description into one Note.

2. Sources
This area is a focus of the FH V6.1 updates because FTM prefers a different strategy to FH.

In the posting Plugin to sort problems with FTM Imports (13157) there is an FTM_Fixer Plugin designed to help with long text in fields such as Where within Source and move them to fields more capable to display them. But as I said at the beginning, this is still in a state of flux until the developments are completed, so rest assured it will be OK before long.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lebrard
Silver

Post by lebrard »

Mike, thank you so much for your prompt response and welcome. The more I learn about FH the more I like it!
I've used the 3 plugins you mentioned already.

1. Fact Notes. Yes! I see the information on the All tab realizing that most of them should go to Address instead of Note since I used the Descriptions/FTM to record that kind of information (Church names, street address, etc -my bad!) Is there a way to move those particular notes to Address?

2. Sources. I used the FTM_Fixer plugin and most likely should've chosen a different option for Source Method (I used 1.5) I will import the Gedcom again, and try with other options.

Again, thanks, and I'll keep an eye on any new developments for this transition.
Lourdes
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

1. Fact Notes
Yes, I have a Plugin to move Notes to Address but if you use the Tools > Preferences option to keep Descriptions separate then it would be easier to know what needs moving, providing you run no Plugins before this proposed custom Plugin that I can supply. However, this relies on either assuming EVERY such Description/Note is an Address, or there must be some other criteria to choose a subset.

2. Sources
In FTM_Fixer Plugin choose Source Method 0 to leave Source Citations as they are, and just use the Truncation/Word options.

BUT think of these as trial runs until FH V6.1 is fully released.
lebrard
Silver

Post by lebrard »

Thanks a lot Mike!

1. Fact Notes
Your plugin to move Notes to Address would be wonderful. Yes, for the most part, all Descriptions/Notes are addresses with a few exceptions that could be corrected manually. But, if I run the "Import from Ancestry or FTM" plugin, "Death Descriptions" and "Cause of Death" (from FTM) get merged together into (Death) Cause in FH.

2. Sources
After creating a new Project, I runed FTM_Fixer with Source Method 3 (0 is not offered) and the results seem to be the same as with Method 1.5 -Must be the way I recorded them in FTM.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help! and will be looking forward to the full release FH V6.1
Lourdes
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

1. Fact Notes
Is the way "Death Descriptions" and "Cause of Death" get merged together into (Death) Cause in FH unsatisfactory for you?

2. Sources
I am in direct communication with the author of FTM_Fixer so maybe the Method 0 option is in a version I have seen but has not been published publicly. There is a lot going on and he is probably waiting until FH V6.1 is released.
lebrard
Silver

Post by lebrard »

Thanks Mike,

1. Fact Notes.
Ideally, I would like to move Death Description into Address and Cause of Death into Cause. If I understand correctly, that could be done with your plugin to move Notes to Address and then I can correct Cause (of Death) manually.

2. Sources.
Ok.... I'll wait for the release.

Thanks for your you help!!
Lourdes
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, download & install Move _UNCAT to Address Plugin Version 0.2 Date 03 Jul 2022.

Follow the advice in Importing to Family Historian Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) > Quick Fix Plugins but after importing your GEDCOM run this Move _UNCAT to Address Plugin before the Import From Ancestry or FTM Plugin.

Since this is only a trial run it is not necessary to create a GEDCOM backup.

After running Move _UNCAT to Address check the Address fields are satisfactory before running Import From Ancestry or FTM. In either case, the changes can be reversed using Edit > Undo Plugin Updates once or twice before closing FH.

Let me know if the results are as you expected, and if not explain what needs correcting.
Last edited by tatewise on 31 Jan 2024 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated plugin and KB links
lebrard
Silver

Post by lebrard »

THANK YOU MIKE!! ...genius!!

Your Plugin worked wonderfully!!!
I followed your instructions, and added running the Clean up Notes Plugin at the end.
The results are great!, everything (I’ve seen so far) is in the right place.

...back to doing some genealogy while enjoying the new home for my research! (by the way... I really like FH)

Thanks again!!
Lourdes
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am glad the data all looks OK, but remember that I said this was only a trial run.

Beware adding your research to your FH Project until FH V6.1 is released, as discussed earlier.
Otherwise you may have to re-import your FTM GEDCOM and enter that data all over again.

I suggest your research is added to your FTM Project until then.
lebrard
Silver

Post by lebrard »

I will follow your advise. In the mean time some clean up in FTM will keep me busy. Knowing where everything will end up is extremely helpful.

Thank you!!