* Edit tab causing freezing

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
plantheaven
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Edit tab causing freezing

Post by plantheaven »

Using Macbook Pro running Maverick with Crossover FH Version 6.0.4.

Have been using 6.0.4 since it came out with no problems at all. However, suddenly, passing the cursor over the Edit tab freezes the program. In desperation I uninstalled and reloaded Version 5, Upgrade 6 and downloaded 6.0.4. Same problem. Any ideas? :?
Jacqui
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Edit tab causing freezing

Post by Valkrider »

Which version of Crossover are you using?

Sorry to say I haven't had this problem so can offer no real advice.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

I am running Crossover 15.0 which updated some time ago so doubt it is that. I verified my disk and disk permissions on the Mac, restarted several times and ended up reloading FH. Not sure what happened, one minute everything was fine and the next it was constant freezing! Really not sure how to proceed and getting withdrawal symptoms as I can't work on my trees :(
Jacqui
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I am running v15 on my Air without issue.

Have you tried creating a new Windows 7 bottle? If that also causes issues it may well be a Crossover issue and may be worth reinstalling that.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

I created a new Windows 7 bottle when reloading so will have to try reloading Crossover again. Thanks, will let you know if it works.
Jacqui
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

OK, I have uninstalled everything, reloaded Crossover 15, FH version 5, Upgrade Version 6, downloaded 6.0.4 and it still freezes when trying to use the edit button. Seriously do not know what is going on. I have even run the Verify Disk etc. on the computer and still the edit button freezes. Obviously a bug somewhere but from where and how to get rid of it is beyond me. Anyone have any ideas what to try next :?:
Jacqui
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

As an aside Jaqui, you do not need the step of installing V5, then update for V6. You can install the V5-6 upgrade and input you V5 and V6 license details.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jacqui

Just to let you know you are not alone. I just fired up my Air to check (I have been using my iMac this week using a VM rather than Crossover v15) and I am getting the same result as you. All the other menu tabs work fine except the Edit option which freezes the computer.

It was working fine just before Christmas the last time I used FH on the Air. Very odd as I haven't added any new apps or updated anything.

Are you running El Capitan?

Hopefully someone else who uses FH on a Mac with Crossover on this board will check it out an let us know their experience.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

I am running Maverick. Whilst I am glad I am not the only one it is worrying that it happening to others. As you say, hopefully someone else has an answer.
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just a stab in the dark, but does it matter which Project is current?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

I am running a full GEDCOM,
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

REALLY!!!

Well try a different GEDCOM.

But longer term I STRONGLY advise you adopt the Project structure.
It has no significant drawbacks, and many benefits such as some features get enabled, and migration to a new location doesn't break Media links.
See how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

No it doesn't I have tried the sample project and 2 of my own.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Don't sound so surprised Mike. I have a large GEDCOM and MANY projects but work on the GEDCOM usually because for me, it is easier. However, it does not make any difference whether it is a project or GEDCOM, Edit freezes the program!
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I understand.
Here are some things to try and some workarounds.

When the cursor passes over any menubar command (they are not tabs) a button style frame appears around the command.
Presumably that happens OK on all the other commands?

If you revert to FH V5.0 does the same Edit command freezing happen?
After you upgrade to initial FH V6.0 does it happen?
Or is it only in FH V6.0.4?

Hopefully, the workaround is to use the Alt key.
When you hold down the Alt key the initial letter of each command is underlined.
While holding down Alt, press one such letter and the menu drops down.
So Alt + E should open the Edit menu.
Still holding Alt, you can press any letter underlined in the menu to invoke that menu command.
Or you can release Alt and use the cursor to select a menu command.
In addition some Edit Menu commands can be invoked directly using Ctrl + letter or Function keys.
Then you should be able to work on your trees.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Just tested my non-Crossover WINE installation of Family Historian and all the Menu commands work without problem, so it may be something worth reporting to the Crossover developers as a possible 'Bug'

Keyboard shortcuts also work fine for me but, as with most things Mac, you have to do some Key substitution, e.g. replace the Windows ALT+E key combination with Command+E to invoke the FH Menu's Edit dropdown list.

Mervyn
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Have not yet tried just version 6 on its own but using the command+E key also freezes the program. So far it appears that it jams in everything. I would say that this literally happened out of the blue. There were no updates or changes involved. As I have been running Crossover 15 since it was released, with no problem and also FH version 6.0.4 for some time also it seems strange that it has just happened spontaneously with no obviously outside interference. The problem now is to find a fix and so far nothing seems to have worked. I have even used Time Machine to take everything back to before the problem started to no avail. I will e-mail Crossover and see what they say.
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably, Command+F key opens File menu OK, and likewise others?

What happens when you just click the Command key on its own?
It should switch the underline chars on each menu command on and off with each click.
At least that is what the Windows Alt key does.

When the underlines are present, then click the initial letter E key.
As well as the drop-menu, this puts the button outline around the menu command just like when the cursor hovers, so that confims it is the button style giving the problem.

Does it make any difference which FH window is selected: Records, Query, Media, etc.

Since neither Crossover nor FH have changed, it seems more likely that it is some underlying Mac update that is the cause, unless some Windows component has changed.
i.e. When you install Crossover do you:
Tick Microsoft .NET Framework option to install V3.5 SP1, only needed for AS?
Download Windows Script 5.7 via Crossover CrossTie or tick option, only needed by some Plugins?

If you include those, then try leaving them out, as FH does not need them.

Did you try FH V5.0, because if it also fails then cannot be FH at fault?
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Pressing the Command key does switch each menu command on and off. However, when the Command key is initially pressed it starts with the record symbol and the arrow keys will go across until it reaches the Edit command and then freezes. If I use the E key when the underlines are present it freezes the program regardless of which menu command is highlighted. All the other selected windows work perfectly it is just the Edit that is causing problems.
I agree it could have been a Mac update but Time Machine should have cured that problem and it didn't. I would also assume that more people would be experiencing the problem if that was the case.
Microsoft .NET Framework option to install V3.5 SP1, and Windows Script 5.7 via Crossover CrossTie not ticked as I don't use AS and as yet have not used the Plugins.
It is also interesting to note others are not reporting a problem with Crossover etc. Anyway, I have sent an e-mail to Codeweavers to see if they can come up with an answer in case it is their end.
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it all points to the button frame that appears behind the menu command in all the scenarios you described, but only for Edit.

That effect will almost certainly be implemented by the underlying OS in conjunction with the Video/Graphic Device Drivers.

Would Time Machine also revert the Video/Graphic Device Drivers?
If not, then the device drivers should be investigated separately.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Thanks Mike, will investigate the drivers. Not sure if Time Machine will work with these but will Google and have a go at that. I have absolutely nothing to lose at this stage and will try anything so fingers crossed.
Jacqui
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Hi,
Drivers OK.
Codeweavers suggested going back to Crossover 14.1.11 and this has worked. It still doesn't explain why Colin is having the same problem with a VM though. Hopefully this has cured the problem permanently but as it occurred sometime after upgrading to version 15 I am still unconvinced that this was the whole problem. Will post an update to let you know if this is still working or if I get further communication from Codeweavers.
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you misunderstand Colin's post. It is a bit convoluted. He has the problem on his Mac Air with Crossover 15, but not on his iMac with a VM (naturally).

Crossover 14.0.3 of last Jan 2015 had various issues (with both FH and AS) that Colin is better versed to remember, and Crossover 15 vanquished most of them. Cannot vouch for Crossover 14.1.11.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jacqui

Mike is correct I do have the same issue on my Air running Crossover v15. What is annoying initially everything was OK running Crossover v15. Something must have changed but I am unsure what. I am running El Capitan and you are running Mavericks so it is probably something other than OSX.

It is good to know that it is OK with Crossover v14.1.11 but that gets us back to no AS and less functionality in FH. I will hang fire on downgrading to see if something else comes to light.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Codeweavers have e-mailed me to say that they are looking into what happened and will let me know if they find a bug and release patch to rectify it. Will let you all know if that happens. Meantwhile, everything is working beautifully (famous last words!). :D
Jacqui