* Ancestry to Retire Family Tree Maker Software

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Wilson465
Family Historian: None

Re: Ancestry to Retire Family Tree Maker Software

Post by Wilson465 »

Well,
I am a historic user of Family Historian and also migrated to FTM so that my daughter and I could easily swap information. In comparison, I must say that Ancestry is very sophisticated and comprehensive for the USA market, but also very commercial. This is why they, and obviously others, are doing away with retail publishing and attendant servicing and employment.
The downside is that they obtain control and financial benefit of clients' records.
I think that immediate migration to alternative software databases, and probably 'Cloud' storage is advisable.
Comments welcome.
Stuart.
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jmurphy »

tatewise wrote:
Bute01 wrote:I know I can import a Gedcom file easy enough, but it's the many census and various record images that are attached to people which I do not know how to handle.
FTM + TreeSync exported GEDCOM usually include attached Media images that are NOT included with an Ancestry exported GEDCOM. But maybe you are talking about where the Media are attached (to Individuals instead of Sources) rather than whether they are attached?
I would like to hear from FTM users exactly what gets brought into FTM when a TreeSync is performed. I have used FH off and on for a while, but there was a period where I lost my computer, and any genealogy stuff I did was via online trees on Ancestry. I generally make it a habit to download the images of the source records as I go, but there may be images that I have missed.

Will a sync with Ancestry bring with it the images for the individual source records, too? Or does it only sync other media like photos which have been attached to your tree online?
Bute01
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Bute01 »

As I see it, if I find a match on Ancestry to someone on my online tree with them, I get the option to save the record including the census image and source. Then when the same Tree is opened in FTM the Trees will automatically sync with TreeSync (or else it tells you a Sync is required). To use TreeSync is an option that can be used or not. To be honest it's very easy for beginners or someone without too much computer knowledge.
I see last night, that RootsMagic say that FTM trees can be imported into their program including images. They say that when exporting a Gedcom file from FTM to tick the box which says "including images". RootsMagic say they use the same sort of format as FTM for handling images.
Maybe it maybe something FH could do with a program update or something (fingers crossed!).
I apologise for my rather basic explanation, maybe someone else can put it more technical terms!
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

Treesync synchronises nearly all Ancestry data with that in FTM (including images attached to people and citations). With FTM retiring in a couple of years, this will no longer be possible as the implication is to retire Treesync too.

It will likely remain possible to download your data from Ancestry in GEDCOM format but "standard" does not assure that it will fit properly into FH. And the GEDCOM does not include images. And of course all hints and matches would have to be updated into FH manually which is a horrible backward step.

If you currently use FTM you will be able to move your data and images to FH in a reasonable manner (not perfectly). If you do not, I have no idea how you would move your images from Ancestry to FH.
Newsham57

Post by Newsham57 »

Ancesstry are seeking other desktop software partners such as Family Historian 6 - see below:

Posted by Kendall Hulet on December 9, 2015 in Australia, Canada, Family Tree Maker, United Kingdom

Following the last Family Tree Maker desktop software announcement, we’ve seen your outpouring of comments, questions and the concerns you have raised. I’ve read through many of your comments personally, and I want you to know that we truly value you as customers and your feedback.

Here are three key things I’d like to re-assure you of after reading through your comments:

We are fully committed to supporting Family Tree Maker through at least the end of 2016 with all available support from member services, including technical issues, product issues, updates and attention to the product. You will be able to use the software, exactly as you do now, including TreeSync, for at least the next year.
We are exploring possible relationships with other desktop software solutions that would make it possible for their products to integrate with Ancestry.
We are exploring options to bring more reports and related functionality from Family Tree Maker into the online service. Stay tuned for updates on this over the coming year.

We’ve put together an FAQ to address many of the other questions you’ve raised. Our member services team is also available for further questions.

What happens to Family Tree Maker at the end of next year?

We are committed to helping our users through this transition. Towards the end of 2016, we will assess our progress toward a smooth transition for our customers and review our support commitment at that time.

After January 1, 2017, features that require connectivity to Ancestry, such as TreeSync, uploading and downloading trees and media, and Web Search, may no longer be supported. Most Family Tree Maker features are designed to work offline, and should continue to function unless a change on your computer, such as an operating system update, causes the functionality to break.

Will features such as charts, reporting and publishing be made available on Ancestry?

We are continuously exploring new options to make the experience better for all users and currently we’re looking into ways to bring desired features from Family Tree Maker into the online experience – such as report functionality or the ability to replace one instance of a change throughout your entire family tree.

Will third party providers be able to integrate with Ancestry family trees?

We are exploring possible relationships with other desktop software solutions that would make it possible for their products to integrate with Ancestry API. Stay tuned.

What happens to the family tree I’ve created using Family Tree Maker? Will it continue to be accessible?

You will continue to be able to access your data through the desktop software beyond Jan. 1, 2017, however over time there will be a gradual degradation of features. You can always export your tree and save it.

When will you stop selling Family Tree Maker software?

We will stop selling the desktop software on December 31, 2015, however we will continue to fully support Family Tree Maker at least one full year until January 1, 2017. Until January 1, 2017, you will be able to continue to use the product and its full functionality, as you do today.

Which versions of Family Tree Maker will Ancestry continue to support?

Ancestry will continue to support all versions of Family Tree Maker at their current functionality until January 1, 2017.

Will I be able to download my full tree?

You can continue to download trees as a GEDCOM file. Users can also download and save historical records and media attached to individuals in their family trees.

Is Ancestry looking to sell Family Tree Maker, as you did with MyCanvas?

Presently there are no plans to sell Family Tree Maker software.
- See more at: http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015 ... EvGpt.dpuf
Newsham57

Post by Newsham57 »

jmurphy wrote:
tatewise wrote:
Bute01 wrote:I know I can import a Gedcom file easy enough, but it's the many census and various record images that are attached to people which I do not know how to handle.
FTM + TreeSync exported GEDCOM usually include attached Media images that are NOT included with an Ancestry exported GEDCOM. But maybe you are talking about where the Media are attached (to Individuals instead of Sources) rather than whether they are attached?
I would like to hear from FTM users exactly what gets brought into FTM when a TreeSync is performed. I have used FH off and on for a while, but there was a period where I lost my computer, and any genealogy stuff I did was via online trees on Ancestry. I generally make it a habit to download the images of the source records as I go, but there may be images that I have missed.

Will a sync with Ancestry bring with it the images for the individual source records, too? Or does it only sync other media like photos which have been attached to your tree online?
I work with a One Name Family History society and we currently have over 40 different trees on Ancestry which are updated online by various society members but then managed centrally by my synchronising all the trees with my copy of FTM 2014. From one machine it is then possible to ensure that all place names, spellings and other formatting is consistent across all of the trees.

All information is synchonised including images for individual source records and that includes all photographs, media attachments, pdfs and other documents. Hence we as a Society will be seeking an alternative solution. Ideally Family Historian 6 linking with Ancestry!
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

OK partnerships between Ancestry and PC suppliers sound very reasonable...

...lets see which PC software providers prevail...most likely those that partner Ancestry and use Treesync (or equivalent) I suspect!

Where does FH stand on this? Will FH muster the energy to "take over the world"? I will be watching carefully which software houses jump on this opportunity!
mezentia
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Post by mezentia »

Before we start to bombard Calico Pie with requests to link to various external dataset suppliers, perhaps we should step back and think a bit. I recall seeing somewhere that the license costs for embedding or linking to external features (eg MyHeritage, Maps, etc.) are a significant factor when new functionality is being considered. I also remember that these features in FH6 came in for some considerable criticism from the user base for a variety of reasons, one being the perceived American bias of MyHeritage.

Rather than FH getting into bed with any of these external service suppliers, therefore, might it not be better for FH to remain strictly neutral as a stand-alone piece of software, but provide additional modules to provide the necessary connectivity features? As FH users, I'm sure we are all used to the idea of companion programs like Nick's excellent Ancestral Sources, and the idea of writing plugins to enhance functionality. Therefore, if additional companion programs are developed to provide links to say, Ancestry, or FindMyPast, these could be made chargeable at a sufficient cost to cover any necessary license fees. As users, we then have the choice as to which modules we are prepared to pay for. It might also be possible on a similar basis to then provide links to better maps. FH could then continue to do what it does best, and that is allowing us to collect, organise, and analyse our family history data.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Following the recent announcement by Ancestry that Family Tree Maker will be discontinued, Calico Pie has today offered a 20% discount off the price of download licences for Family Historian 6, to users of Family Tree Maker. The offer is open until the end of January 2016. See http://bit.ly/ftmtofh for more information
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jmurphy »

After poking about in Ancestry's support center, and doing some research, I decided to buy a boxed copy of FTM instead of purchasing a download via Ancestry's website. I found the Platinum edition which comes with an Ancestry subscription -- for not much more than the subscription would have been. So later this week, unless something goes awry, I will have a copy of FTM to use for testing purposes, and can help with checking the functionality of plugins etc. if needed.

I wanted TreeSync to help download the media (what Ancestry calls "citation media") which is attached to my online trees. As I understand it, this will pull in most but not all of the images. The exceptions are:

1. Since I only have a US Sub, it will not download the media I attached when I had a world subscription, or on Ancestry UK, Ancestry DE, or Ancestry CA free weekends. I'll have to rummage about on my hard drive to see what I downloaded manually, and make a list of what's missing to re-download later.

2. For multi-page documents, it only downloads the first page of the document, since that's the only image which is actually attached to your tree.

3. It doesn't download the contents of your Shoebox (because that isn't a tree).

I'm planning a Go-Over where I put everything into a fresh Family Historian database rather than trying to clean up an Ancestry GEDCOM or FTM export, but I may do some test runs, just to get a feel for gotchas to look out for.
Candy1837

Post by Candy1837 »

Its been over a month since someone posted on this thread, so I hope someone is monitoring it. I have just registered today for this forum as I have used FTM since version 2 and am considering changing to FH. What I want to know is, is FH going to be in for the long haul? I never imagined FTM not ever being around. With increasing use of online data in many fields, I am really worried that perhaps in a few years FH will go online only. Any comments please?
Adams, Armstrong, Bentley,
Butt, Cox, Ewen, Green,
Hawkins, Holbert, King, Long, McFarlane,
McKinnon, McPhee, Mungovan, Murdoch,
Norris, Pollock, Ross, Sheean, Sherwood,
Spong, Stark, Weakley, Williamson, Wright
http://www.hawkinsfamilyresearch.com
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

Yes, sadly, things appear more stagnant than they ought.

Due to the relative importance of record and tree matching I will use whatever software replaces FTM to synchronise with Ancestry. Linking to thousands of official records and finding many more family members far outweighs any improved reporting etc. offered by FH or others.

When I really need something more, I simply export from FTM to FH or otherwise (albeit that my data has been kept straightforward deliberately and translation is not 100%). And in time it is likely web-based facilities will improve.

Let's see which PC software provider(s) has the resources and the balls to outshine the others...considering what I pay Ancestry every month I would happily also pay FH (or any other good software author) a significant fee for the use of an appropriate synchronisation module.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See the posting in the [FHU] Mailing List by Simon Orde in Integration with Ancestry on Fri, 11 Dec 2015.

A lot depends on how open Ancestry are prepared to be about their software interface.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

"What I want to know is, is FH going to be in for the long haul?"

This is an almost impossible question to answer except for the facts:

- Calico Pie released FH Version 6 little more than a year ago, whereas FTM ceased its annual software updates with 2014, despite an escalating volume complaints about ongoing problems with the software.
- Both free and paid Updates to FH are released regularly to address any issues and to enhance functionality, but paid (commercial) upgrades have not been so regular that the software has joined the vogue of an almost annual subscription model adopted by other software houses.
- A new 'free' update is currently available for testing (Version 6.1.1) and there is a clear description of what features are included (so far).

Is any software company in it 'for the long haul'? Only if their product both pays the bills and no-one makes them an offer they can't refuse!

Which Genealogy products can be guaranteed to survive in the long term? Absolutely NONE. Think of those that have already gone (or going). Some of them were 'BIG' and now what was often touted as the biggest selling of them all is going. But, few experts in the early 80's ever believed that Wordperfect, Lotus 123 and DBase would be removed from their dominant position in the business software market, despite the fact that their combined cost often exceeded the price of the PCs they were running on.

One thing that can be guaranteed (in my opinion) is that GEDCOM (as is) will continue to be the primary method of data transfer between genealogy software for years to come, as the so-called movers and shakers who were supposedly going to set about developing/enhancing standards for genealogy software data transfer still can't agree on the structure of their 'organisation' after 2/3 years of existence, let alone get down to making a start on their supposedly prime objective. So, if the genealogy product you decide to opt for as a replacement for FTM can (be made to) import/export data to to other products with limited 'pain' anddata loss you should be O.K. If not, you are simply swapping one potential problem for another.

I would also and do avoid any commercial product that is directly developed by a data provider such as Ancestry, as their resources and commitment to software and customer loyalty will clearly be divided; and for large commercial organisations, there is far more money to be made out of data provision, cloud services and subscription memberships than there is out of software sales and software support. Even the largest non-commercial data provider (FamilySearch) dropped support and development of its desktop software product some years ago, which perhaps should have signalled the market changes to come.

Mervyn
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

Thanks Mike.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Candy, an excellent question with some good responses so far. It just shows the importance of 'portability of data' and this can be a problem in any area of IT. I have always tried to keep my data structure simple, not use some of the tempting features the genealogy programs offer if they are not portable, and this has stood me well over the years, especially my move from TMG to FH via GEDCOM. It also means that you can share with others or display your data on websites etc more easily.

I first noticed this problem when trying to use a feature of the old FTM16 (allinone tree) many years ago, I noticed truncated text, TMG witnesses not exporting etc. I suggest if you are concerned regarding software demise, and you should be, to experiment with a 'basic' GEDCOM export. You are probably best using something like the Export Gedcom File Plugin with the RWW option using UTF-8 as this seems to convert all FHs 'bespoke' items to 'simple' standard GEDCOM which should be understood and displayed by most importers (there might be a better 'generic' option). Then try importing this to other programs (free trials even, websites) and see how it goes.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
Candy1837

Post by Candy1837 »

Thank you everyone for your reply. I think I just need to keep it simple, however I had started jazzing up with FTM with my media and now that does not come across to well. Think I just have to bit the bullet and get the program as this one seem to be the best and most popular. Might try the trial version of Legacy and Roots Web, but they don't have the functionality of FH by the look of it. My main concern is the transfer of all my data correctly. I really don't care about the media as I was in the process of sorting this anyway.

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY from me downunder
Adams, Armstrong, Bentley,
Butt, Cox, Ewen, Green,
Hawkins, Holbert, King, Long, McFarlane,
McKinnon, McPhee, Mungovan, Murdoch,
Norris, Pollock, Ross, Sheean, Sherwood,
Spong, Stark, Weakley, Williamson, Wright
http://www.hawkinsfamilyresearch.com
Nick-V
Superstar

Two options for desktop software that will work with Ancestr

Post by Nick-V »

Announcement by Ancestry:

Dear Family Tree Maker™ community,

Since our Family Tree Maker announcement last December, we have continued to actively explore ways to develop and support Family Tree Maker and ensure you have choices to preserve your work in ways that matter to you.

Today, we are pleased to announce two options for desktop software that will work with Ancestry.

Software MacKiev

Software MacKiev, with whom we have a long-standing relationship, is acquiring the Family Tree Maker software line as publisher for both Mac and Windows versions. Software MacKiev has been the developer of Family Tree Maker for Mac for more than six years and is thrilled at the opportunity to publish future versions of Family Tree Maker for Mac and Windows.

This new agreement means you will receive software updates and new versions from Software MacKiev, and have the ability to purchase new versions of Family Tree Maker from Software MacKiev as they are released. You will have continued access to Ancestry Hints, Ancestry searches, and be able to save your tree on Ancestry with Family Tree Maker moving forward.

RootsMagic

We have made an agreement with RootsMagic, a leading genealogy desktop software program publisher, to connect Ancestry with the RootsMagic software by the end of 2016. With this new relationship, RootsMagic can serve as your desktop family tree software, while having access to Ancestry hints, Ancestry searches, and the ability to save your tree on Ancestry.

We have heard your concerns and are working to provide the solutions you requested. These new agreements will make it possible to preserve your work on Ancestry and Family Tree Maker and enable future features and benefits to help you discover your family history. Be assured that Ancestry, in cooperation with Software MacKiev and RootsMagic, will continue to support you as you discover your family history.

We ask for your patience as we work diligently through all the details to make these solutions available. You can find additional details about these Family Tree Maker partnerships on our blog. We also encourage you to continue to check back on our blog for future updates in the coming months.
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

I read the words "save your tree on Ancestry" but I am not yet assuming this means synchronising as we have at present.

Continuing such a facility would also require a commitment by Ancestry (server software and data standards) and constrain, therefore, its own web software development plans.

We need more info...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nick, unfortuately you did not say whether you had asked them for more info.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

Mike, not yet...I suspect we will learn soon enough and will keep my ears open...however, I'd certainly understand if someone else wanted to approach this matter more formally or urgently.

The deliberate wording made we wonder as the functional description sounded deliberately constrained...and as we know, a sync function is quite onerous...
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

Mike, not surprisingly the question (about "TreeSync") has already been posed....

...keep up to date with the discussion and comments here: http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2016 ... ree-maker/
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

Well, here is a pretty positive answer from Rootsmagic:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2612

Search – RootsMagic will be the first and currently only software besides FTM to search Ancestry’s extensive collections of historical records from around the world and let you download those records into your own file.

Sync – RootsMagic will be the first and currently only software besides FTM to let you share data between your RootsMagic files on your computer with your personal Ancestry online trees. You’ll also be able to download people, events, and even pictures from Ancestry onto your computer through RootsMagic.

Import – RootsMagic will be able to directly import your Family Tree Maker files, without having to go through an intermediate GEDCOM file, giving you the cleanest, most complete transfer of your data. RootsMagic will also be able to download your online trees from Ancestry.
Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier »

I can well imagine RootsMagic will have to be paying a hefty licence fee to Ancestry to be able to link in with their databases (if not, Ancestry need their heads looking at), and the quid pro quo negotiated by RootsMagic will be an exclusive access deal for their software (FTM excepted) — at least for some period of time. Their blog post seems to suggest that is indeed the case.

It's a little disappointing FH will probably not be able to provide some kind of direct search facility for Ancestry at the moment, but let's hope they don't give up the ghost on that idea entirely, and that some opportunity along those lines presents itself at some point in the future.
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey
Nick-V
Superstar

Post by Nick-V »

I suspect that searching Ancestry will still require that one is an Ancestry member and pays them a fee. You won't be able to do it solely because you use RM or FTM.