* Using FH program on my laptop and computer

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Vamp
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Using FH program on my laptop and computer

Post by Vamp »

Hi,
Is it possible to use the programme on both my laptop and desktop and if so how do I transfer any new information between the two computers. Thank you
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Using FH program on my laptop and computer

Post by tatewise »

Hi Vamp, welcome to first FHUG posting. Please read Please read BEFORE posting (11070).

Could you please use User Control Panel > Profile at the top of this web page, and update Family Historian to your Version so it appears in the panel on the right of your posting, and we know which version you are using.

Yes, your licence allows you to install FH on two PC.
See how_to:about#licence_agreement|> About Family Historian > Licence Agreement.

To setup two PC and synchronise them see the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

I use a PC and a Laptop(Windows 8 on both devices) and have FH V6 installed on both. I am inputting a good deal of material into FH on the PC and would like to synchronize through OneDrive with Laptop so that it is being updated simultaneously. It is cumbersome to have to manually copy the updated FH files to the Laptop.
I have read the Knowledge Base pages below.

See how_to:about#licence_agreement|> About Family Historian > Licence Agreement.
To setup two PC and synchronise them see the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.

I cannot get the two to synchronize and I suspect the problem may be that my Microsoft account on the PC uses the email address - edwardrowland45@outlook and the Microsoft account on the Laptop uses a different email address. For most other purposes I use Windows Live Mail and the email address erowland@eircom.net. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve problem
Regards Edward Rowland
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You have correctly identified the problem.
As explained in fhugdownloads:contents:microsoft_skydrive|> Utility ~ Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive)
Run the OneDrive software on both PC, using the same Microsoft Account on both.
You need to decide which Microsoft Account (Email address) you want to use to share OneDrive folders.
This will be used to share not just the FH Projects, but also all other OneDrive folders, so you need to be happy that the same folders & files will exist on both PC and laptop as well as the OneDrive cloud. However, there are some OneDrive options to allow you to choose which folders to synchronise with which device.

Having made your choice, make sure you have safe/backup copies of the folders & files on the device that will change Microsoft Account (Email address). Change the OneDrive settings on that device to use the shared Microsoft Account. Hopefully, the folders & files in the OneDrive folder on both devices will then synchronise, but depending on their size, may take hours. Check for green ticks on all folders & files in the OneDrive folder on both devices.

If you no longer need the redundant Microsoft Account follow the advice at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... ft-account to close it.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike Thank you for your guidance to date re synchronising FH over my PC and Laptop. I am now using the same Microsoft account. I have moved the my FH Project folder into OneDrive in Documents and followed instructions in FH Synchronisation- I hope. But alas no success on the Laptop. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you used File > Project Window > More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and set it to the Documents\OneDrive\Family Historian Projects folder on both the PC and Laptop as per the instructions?

Just to confirm please use File > File Statistics on both PC and on Laptop.
Copy & Paste the File Name: from top line into your Reply here.

What can you see in the Documents\OneDrive\ folder on the PC and on the Laptop?
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike- Below Top line in File statistics DESKTOP

File Name: C:\Users\Edward\SkyDrive\Family Historian\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Fam desktop 8 4 2015\Rowland Fam desktop 8 4 2015.fh_data\Rowland Fam desktop 8 4 2015.ged

Top Line in File Statistics LAPTOP
File Name: C:\Users\Edward\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Family desktop 8 4 2015\Rowland Family desktop 8 4 2015.fh_data\Rowland Family desktop 8 4 2015.ged

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the LAPTOP has NOT had its Location for Projects adjusted.

It is still looking in the C:\Users\Edward\Documents\... folder.
It should be looking in C:\Users\Edward\SkyDrive\... folder same as DESKTOP.
(Or wherever SkyDrive or OneDrive folder is on LAPTOP, but I assume you've set it the same.)

On LAPTOP:
Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Project List > Choose Location for Projects and set it to the C:\Users\Edward\SkyDrive\Family Historian\Family Historian Projects folder.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Edward,
your laptop is looking at the local copy, not the copy on skydrive.
Open FH then instaed of opening your project, select More Tasks... / Project List / Choose location for projects / and navigate to the laptop Sky Drive (One drive) folder and the projects folder within that.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The other difference is that one line has Rowland Fam three times and the other has Rowland Family:

DESKTOP
File Name: C:\Users\Edward\SkyDrive\Family Historian\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Fam desktop 8 4 2015\Rowland Fam desktop 8 4 2015.fh_data\Rowland Fam desktop 8 4 2015.ged

LAPTOP
File Name: C:\Users\Edward\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Family desktop 8 4 2015\Rowland Family desktop 8 4 2015.fh_data\Rowland Family desktop 8 4 2015.ged
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes Lorna, but that will sort itself out automatically when the Project Location is corrected.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Thank you.
When I open (LAPTOP) FH, select More Tasks>Projects List> Choose Location for Projects the Browse for Folder opens. It offers me : OneDrive with subfolders: Documents, OneDrive Documents, Family History Projects and various other Rowland Fam/Family folders. I am uncertain what I should do to set it to -C:\Users\Edward\Skydrive\Family Historian\Family Historian Projects folder so that I have the same folder in both computers. I am sorry to be taking up so much of your time with this problem.
EDward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, SkyDrive is the earlier synonym for OneDrive.

So whatever is within the DESKTOP SkyDrive folder should also be within the LAPTOP OneDrive folder, synchronised via the Microsoft Sky/OneDrive cloud storage on the Internet.

If that is not the case, then both PC are not logged into the same Microsoft Account with the same settings.

If they are synchronised, then on the LAPTOP you should be able to browse to ...\OneDrive\Family Historian\Family Historian Projects to match the DESKTOP ...\SkyDrive\Family Historian\Family Historian Projects folder.
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Edward,

As Tatewise says SkyDrive and OneDrive are one and the same. See this Microsoft link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/oned ... o-onedrive for further explanation.

Mervyn
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Mike. I have found that FH on my laptop and Desktop is not synchronising. Our last correspondence was on Nov 25 2015.
On the laptop Project Window the Location is: C:\Users\Rowland\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects.
On the Desktop Project Window the Location is: C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects
I presume that the problem is in the Location detail and I am uncertain what to do. I do not know how this has occurred.
Another problem may be that Microsoft OneDrive on the Laptop settings Account has edwardrowland45@gmail.com and on the Desktop the Account setting is erowland@eircom.net. I use the Gmail email address and all emails are synced to come into the Gmail account. I don't know if that is relevant.
Can you advise me Regards Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I assume the Location on both PC is actually:
C:\Users\.......\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects
i.e. There is a backslaxh \ between OneDrive and Documents.
But apart from that typing mistake, those Location paths are perfectly OK.

The first question is have they ever synchronised between 2015 and now?

Or have you just started to try and synchronise them after a long break?

Anyway, for synchronisation to work, you MUST sign in to the SAME OneDrive account on both PC.
Otherwise they are not using the same cloud storage space, so can never synchronise.
You admit you are using two different Email addresses to sign into OneDrive, so that is the problem.

How you manage your actual Email messages is irrelevant, and you can continue that way.

But you must use the same OneDrive Microsoft Account on both PC.
The Email address you use is effectively your OneDrive username.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Thank you Mike. The Laptop and DT have been syncing but I became aware in recent months that this was no longer the case. I must have interfered in some way and created the current problem. Alas I can not recall what I did.
There is not a backslash between OneDrive and Documents in either the LT or DT.
In regard to what address I should use it appears that there are two different OneDriveMicrosoft accounts being used by me and I need to rectify this. I would appreciate guidance on how to do this. Regs Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, this may take several steps to get sorted out.
First we must establish if OneDrive is running and on what folder.

Start with the laptop:
What version of Windows are you running on laptop ( 7, 8.1, 10 ) ?
Is the OneDrive cloud icon shown in the Notification area bottom right ?
If so, then left-click that icon and left-click Open folder - what folder is shown in Windows File Explorer ?
Is that folder OneDrive or if something else then what ?

Repeat with desktop:
What version of Windows are you running on desktop ( 7, 8.1, 10 ) ?
Is the OneDrive cloud icon shown in the Notification area bottom right ?
If so, then left-click that icon and left-click Open folder - what folder is shown in Windows File Explorer ?
Is that folder OneDrive or if something else then what ?
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Thank you Mike
In answer:
Laptop: Windows 10
OneDrive icon White cloud notification bottom right; "OneDrive up to date"
Left click icon and Open Folder: OneDrive Folder shown in Windows File Explorer which includes various sub folders including OneDrive documents.

Desktop: Windows 10
OneDrive white cloud icon shown notification , bottom right. "OneDrive up to date" "All files are in sync"
Left click icon and Open Folder and OneDrive Folder shown in Windows File Explorer which includes various sub folders including OneDrive documents

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That OneDrive master root folder is absolutely correct and the OneDrive app is running OK.

So on both PC, can you open the OneDrive documents subfolder, and within that a Family Historian Projects folder so that the path box above shows:
OneDrive > OneDrive documents > Family Historian Projects

If you click in that path box does it show the following where OneDrive appears twice:
C:\Users\.......\OneDrive\OneDrive documents\Family Historian Projects

Compare that with your earlier posted path:
C:\Users\.......\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects
that omits the OneDrive master root folder.

So please confirm which path is set in the FH File > Project Window > Location box.

Also confirm that your Projects are listed there as you expect.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Thank you Mike
On both computers I have opened OneDrive Documents sub folder and within that a Family Historian Projects folder so that the path box shows:
Lap top: OneDrive>OneDrive documents>Family Historian.
I click on that path box and it shows: C:\Users\Rowland\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects
Projects listed:
Bowen Family
Family Historian Sample Project
Rowland Fam desktop latest

Desk Top: OneDrive>OneDrive Documents>Family Historian Projects
I click in that path box and it shows:
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects
and
C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects\Rowland Fam desktop latest.
Projects listed:
Bowen Family
Family Historian Sample Project
Rowland Fam desktop latest
Sharon Gibbons Tree

In the Laptop Project Window the Location is: C:\Users\Rowland\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects

In the Desktop Project Window the Location is: C:\Users\Edward\OneDrive\OneDrive Documents\Family Historian Projects

I would expect the projects listed on LT and DT to be the same and reflect ongoing updating work
Again thank you

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, we are now making great progress, but can you see that by omitting the \OneDrive\ master folder from your original posting forced me to double-check those paths, which turned out to be unnecessary.

So now we know that OneDrive is working perfectly on both PC and FH is using the folders correctly.

Thus the ONLY problem is that you have signed in to two different OneDrive accounts on the two PC.
Therefore, the OneDrive subfolders & files are in two separate cloud stores, and is why you have no synch.
As far as OneDrive is concerned those Email addresses are just usernames that identify the cloud store.

So you have to decide which of edwardrowland45@gmail.com and erowland@eircom.net is the best OneDrive account to use on both PC. Earlier, when synch was working, you presumably were using just one of them.

I cannot easily advise which is best, but remember that ALL the OneDrive subfolders & files on both PC will try to merge, and in some cases that may result in duplicate files differentiated by the PC names.
You will then have to manually decide which duplicate to keep and which to delete.

However, let us consider your FH Projects as an example.
Firstly, make a Full Backup of all Projects on both PC and note the exact time they were made.
Since OneDrive synch stopped working, which PC have you used to update your FH Projects?

If that has only been your desktop, the erowland@eircom.net account is the one to use on both PC.
You should delete the FH Projects on your laptop and let them synch with the desktop via OneDrive.

If you have updated your FH Projects on both PC independently, then they will be very different, and so will NOT synchronise automatically. If this is the case, then ask for advice BEFORE trying to synch via OneDrive.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Thank you Mike. Apologies for the information conveyed in my initial message.
I am about to make a Full Backup of all projects on both DT and LT. It would seem that synchronisation ceased late summer 2018. Most work on FH is done on the Desk Top and I may occasionally input on holiday on the Laptop.
Current statistics:
Laptop: 3159 individuals and 927 families
Desktop: 3200 individuals and 937 families

It would seem that I should delete the FH Projects on the Laptop and I am uncertain how to activate OneDrive under the erowland@eircom,net email address on the Laptop

Edward
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I guess you are referring to the Project named Rowland Fam desktop latest?
So you have decided to temporarily lose that Project's data added to the laptop.
It can be added back later, either from your memory, or by consulting the backup.

I assume the Bowen Family is unaffected by updates since last summer?

If the above is all OK, then you can delete the Projects on the laptop.

What other files are held in the OneDrive subfolders?
You need to backup and analyse them in much the same way as the FH Projects.

To switch OneDrive accounts on the laptop proceed as follows.
Left-click the OneDrive cloud icon lower-right and then click More and choose Settings.
On the Account tab click Unlink this PC and in popup click Unlink account.
That should display a Set uo OneDrive window where you can Sign in to erowland@eircom.net and in next window Enter Password and click Sign in again.
The This is your OneDrive folder window should list C:\Users\Rowland\OneDrive so click Next.
It will probably say Files already exist in this folder as expected so click Use this location.
Click > a few times and close the dialogue window and that should be done.

The OneDrive cloud icon should show the circular blue arrows as it signs in and processes changes.
It may take some time before synch is achieved, depending hoe many files are involved.

Left-click the OneDrive cloud icon and click More and Settings to review the setup.
On the Settings tab untick Files on Demand to keep copies on your PC.
Review all the other settings, probably so they are the same as on desktop.
erowland
Famous

Post by erowland »

Hi Mike I have followed your latest instructions and I am delighted to report that my Laptop and Desktop are now syncing. Thanks to your patient and clear step by step instructions. If I may ask a few questions before I leave you in peace:
Both Project Windows on LT and DT have several duplicate projects. Can I remove them now and leave the current projects ie Sample, Bowen, Rowland and Gibbons.
OneDrive are telling me that I am running out of space despite my having removed quite a few large files. I note in OneDrive Documents that there are 7 "Rowland Fam desktop" older files by 1800kb each Can I remove these older ones to create space.
Also there are two "Rowland Fam desktop" latest laptop Gedcom type files 284984kb each which are dated 28 April 2019. Can I remove one of them.
Many thanks
Edward