* More help Please with Legacy

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Wee Ann
Gold
Family Historian: V6

More help Please with Legacy

Post by Wee Ann »

I have called in the help of my IT expert, (husband), but he is a bit wary of doing something that will (in his words) stuff up what I have already entered.
Is it better to work from F.H. and import, or work from Legacy and export?
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: More help Please with Legacy

Post by Valkrider »

You have to export from Legacy first and then import that file into Family Historian.
Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann »

Thank you for answering! Export to where?
Ann
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you show your husband the links suggested in your earlier posting A Little Help Please with Legacy (12433)?
i.e.
1) how_to:import_from_legacy|> Import from Legacy
2) how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian

1) Explains how to Export a GEDCOM file from Legacy and then how to import that GEDCOM file into FH as a New Project.

2) Unfortunately, Legacy uses some unusual GEDCOM formats that will need correcting, but if you & your husband get stuck at that point please ask for more advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Ann

Where it exports to does not matter any folder in Windows will do. Just make sure you remember which folder so that you can find the file again when you want to import the file to Family Historian.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Wee Ann wrote: ...wary of doing something that will ... stuff up what I have already entered.
When you do the import into FH it will create a new project, so you don't need to worry about messing up anything you have already entered in FH.
If you find that the new project has imported all or most of the data correctly, you may not need to revert to the FH project you have already started, because from what you have said it will contain duplicate information. (In which case that project can be deleted.) However it will be possible to merge the two projects if you want to. Ask again here if you need help with that.
Lorna
Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D
The Boss was such a bully - He made me do it all by myself, and "It Worked" :o
Now I have done that, and got it all on board, what can F.H. do for me to help with my research? Or do I need to be in a different forum for that?
Thanks again
Ann
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is the best way to understand how to do things.
Well done Boss, and well done you!

What would be really helpful, for other FHUG members who may need to follow the same path, is to let us know what Legacy Export Gedcom settings you used.

As a newcomer to FH I suggest you spend some time understanding its features, by doing things. See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and work through all the links to other sections. I know there is a lot, but it will pay off in due course. Many newcomers say later that they would have done things differently if they had known earlier what they know now.

However, FH itself does not exactly help with your research, except it is an excellent tool for recording what you have found, where you found it, and what you need to find next.

If you need help with specific FH features then post questions in the General Usage Forum.

If you need help with Genealogy Research then post questions in the Research Forum and look at the advice in the research:index|> Genealogy Research section.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann »

Thanks Mike! All advice taken on board!
Always willing to learn.
Ann