* Getting the Most!!!

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Tony_Fowler
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Getting the Most!!!

Post by Tony_Fowler »

What has happened to Getting The Most From Family Historian v5? I expected it, or an updated version, to load into v6. Do I have to download it from V5 disc into V6? Hope I am not being naive? :oops:

Tony
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Getting the Most!!!

Post by jbtapscott »

The "Family Historian Documentation" web page says ".....Note that ƒh V6.0 does not include the Getting the Most From Family Historian book nor its Tutorial Files, but you can download them here for V5 and much is the same or similar. .."
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Tony, that guide has been left out of the early releases of FH V6 for the moment.

It is probably still on disk in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Getting the Most From Family Historian 5.pdf or you may find it on the V5 CD (but do NOT install the CD).

Also it is available in the how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation in various formats, and the http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ad-archive both with the tutorial files.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Tony_Fowler
Gold

Post by Tony_Fowler »

Very many thanks to you both. Missed some info didn't I?

Tony
Bill Deverell
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by Bill Deverell »

I downloaded the PDF and the tutorials.
Double clicking the GED files gives error messages about created in another application and gives an empty project.

Am I missing something.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not seeing that problem, can you describe the exact download process, and how you extracted files from the downloaded zip file.

If you double-click a Gedcom (.ged) file within any of your established Projects what happens?

If you right-click a tutorial file such as Tutorial - Chapter 06.GED and choose Open with and Family Historian what happens?

If you open FH and use File > Gedcom File Tasks > Open Gedcom File and select a tutorial GED file what happens?
Bill Deverell
Diamond

Post by Bill Deverell »

I downloaded the ZIPfile from the archive and unzipped it to a folder in Documents

I tried Open With.
Changed the default program to FH (It was Notepad) and double clicked

Both gave same errors.

Been out for half an hour

Now I've tried double click again and it opened Tutorial 6 OK !!!

I don't know what I've done different this time.

Bill
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I have been having a similar problem with the Tutorial files. Right click, open with ..., open from FH .. all produce an error message in FH6. However, if I copy the tutorial files to the desktop the problem disappears. Hopefully a temporary workaround. Could this have something to do with longer file path lengths?
Paul G
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You need to "unzip" the tutorials to a folder before you open them in FH. just copy them all from the zip folder to a folder in your documents folder or similar.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Jane,

Thanks, but the issue seems to be the location of the tutorial files, not the files themselves. I moved to FH6 via an upgrade path from FH5. When I try to open any of the tutorial files from the installed location at C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Samples\Tutorial Files I get an error message in FH6, as described by others, and the file won't open. However, if I copy the Tutorials folder to the desktop at C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Tutorial Files or my documents folder at E:\SkyDrive\My Documents\Tutorial Files all is fine and the tutorial files open as expected. The same occurs if I download the Tutorial folder from the FH archives, unzip the package and move the folder. The files open in one location, but not another. For now, I'll just copy the tutorial files from the installed location to my documents folder and keep learning. I have been a Legacy user for 20 years but find the diagramming, querying and ability to access information more easily in FH a great advantage. Currently working in both, but leaning heavily to a move to FH. Thanks for a great program.
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The tutorials won't work in the installation folder because it is protected against write access to prevent the installed files from being corrupted. It is much the same with most installed programs in C:\Program Files... for obvious reasons.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

To use the Tutorial files simply unpack the zip file to a folder within your documents folder and open the files with Family Historian by double clicking on them.
The above instructions on the FH website (on the Book tab) are pretty clear that the contents of the zip file should be unpacked to a folder within your documents folder.
Last edited by PeterR on 27 Feb 2015 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Thanks to you both.
Ebonyuk72

Post by Ebonyuk72 »

I want to know if there are any plans to release a 'Getting the Most from' book for V6 as there is for V5? I have problems with my memory and struggle to read instructions on one window, go to another window then carry out the steps as written in window 1, if I have a book with the steps in in front of me, I can just about do it. So having an online/computer/window help is no good to me, a book would solve everything.
I was hoping there would be one at the WDYTYA Live show and was really disappointed to find there isn't one. I've been using FH for over 3years now and love it but I know there is more I can do with it, I just don't have a clue how to and its no good explaining it to me on here because as I said, by the time I get onto the programme, its gone out of my head I need something my eyes can dart from one to the other at the same time ie a book.
Please PLEASE release a V6 book
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
As a user group, unfortunately, we cannot answer your question.
You will have to contact Calico Pie and ask them.
You had the opportunity to do so at the WDYTYA Live show.
Ebonyuk72

Post by Ebonyuk72 »

Yes Mike Tate I did and I did ask them and their reply? "We would've liked to have had one available but sadly there isn't one as yet. How about asking on the Family Historian Forum, people there are friendly and the feedback would be noticed too"
Friendly? erm....

Forget I asked
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Ebonyuk72 wrote:Yes Mike Tate I did and I did ask them and their reply? "We would've liked to have had one available but sadly there isn't one as yet. How about asking on the Family Historian Forum, people there are friendly and the feedback would be noticed too"
Friendly? erm....

Forget I asked
Please don't interpret Mike's reply as unfriendly. You will not meet many more helpful people than Mike - the amount of time he spends on here helping people is staggering. This is a user group website (we're just fellow users of Family Historian) so we have no way of answering whether or not a new version of the 'Getting the most' will be produced and that's what his answer meant: only Calico Pie can answer your question. I suspect you were directed here as a good place to ask for help and that's certainly the case.

If you have any questions about Family Historian then you'll almost certainly get lots of helpful responses on this site. It is an excellent user group - don't be put off by your initial misunderstanding of Mike's response. Have a look at the Knowledge base on this site - there is lots of useful information in there all added by users of Family Historian (in particular Mike and the admin of this site Jane).

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Ebonyuk72

Post by Ebonyuk72 »

Thank you Nick
GordonH
Diamond

Post by GordonH »

Coming to this thread late due to updating to version 6 only yesterday. I too was hoping that the "Getting the most..." guide would have been updated for version 6. I contacted Calico Pie today and they responded as follows -

We are hoping to update it for version 6. It's on our ToDo list but we don't have a date
for it yet I'm afraid.
Gordon Harrison - Researching Harrison and McKernan family history.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gordon, could you please use the User Control Panel > Profile and update Family Historian to Version 6 so it appears in the panel on the right of your posting.