* Marriage Icon

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Robert129
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Marriage Icon

Post by Robert129 »

I have recently been using AS to fill in some census gaps in my tree.

What I did some time ago with huge help from Mike Tate was create expressions in Diagrams; Boxes so that when I created a Birth, Marriage or Death source for an event (and Censuses etc.) the appropriate Icon automatically appeared below the individual or couple. I also created an Expression , again with Mike's help to set a flag (my choice was a "tick" symbol)l to appear in a column that I had in the Individuals Record List.
Having found some confirmation data via the census I have input the data for several Marriages' against couples but find that the "M" icon does not appear. Indeed against all my records the "M" has disappeared but the Flag is still in the column in the Individual Records Window.

Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong.

I am running FH 6.02.

Robert
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Marriage Icon

Post by tatewise »

Robert, please use the User Control Panel and Profile tab on this FHUG page to update your FH Version shown on the right.

I think you are saying the M icons are missing from Diagrams on all Boxes, not just those with the newly added Marriage Events?

Are all the other B and D and C icons still OK?

What is the Expression in the Boxes Condition for Marriages?
What is the Expression in the Records Window column?

It may be related to some of the new Spouse Family contextual data refs introduced in FH V6.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Robert129
Diamond

Post by Robert129 »

Mike

Updated to v6 as requested.

Yes it is all the "M's" that are now not showing. All the other B, D. Census Icons all still show, both old and new.

The expression for marriages in the Diagram, Boxe is "=ContainsText(%FAM.MARR.SOUR>ABBR%."Marriage - England",STD). I have a source for each country of Marriage so "England" becomes "Wales" and so on.

The records window column is "IsTrue(ContainsText(%INDI.FAMS>MARR>SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage",STD) or ContainsText(%INDI.FAMS>MARR[2].SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage",STD) or ContainsText(%INDIFAMS>MARR[3].SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage",STD)

I have to confess that I wrote these expressions on an excel spreadsheet just in case but I have forgotten where the Individual Records Window was input. Can you remind me please.

Robert
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Records Window column customisation is reached via Lists > Configure Record Window Columns...

The different results are probably explained by the different Expressions.

I suspect the Records Window Column Expression actually is (all on one line):
=IsTrue(
ContainsText(%INDI.FAMS>MARR.SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage",STD) or ContainsText(%INDI.FAMS[2]>MARR.SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage",STD) or ContainsText(%INDI.FAMS[3]>MARR.SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage",STD) )

Which is checking the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Family couple Marriage Event has a 1st Source with Short Title containing "Marriage".

Whereas the Boxes Condition Expression is:
=ContainsText(%FAM.MARR.SOUR>ABBR%,"Marriage - England",STD) or "Marriage - Wales", etc

Which is checking only the currently displayed Family couple Marriage Event has a 1st Source with Short Title containing "Marriage - England" (or "Marriage - Wales", etc).

I need to check that Boxes Condition Expression is behaving the same way in FH V6 as it did in FH V5.

However, using different Expressions in Columns versus Boxes will lead to different results.
Robert129
Diamond

Post by Robert129 »

Mike

Thank you for your assistance to date. The expressions in the Boxes Diagrams and Individual Records Window were the ones that we worked on some time ago and worked perfectly until I added some 1911 England Census about 2 days ago. Before that all was fine.

Lets hope the solution is simple.

Robert
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry to be a nag, but could you clarify some details, because I am not clear about which changes have led to the "M" icons not displaying in Diagrams.

In your original posting you said "I have input the data for several Marriages' against couples".

Just now you said the icons "worked perfectly until I added some 1911 England Census".

You have also upgraded from FH V5 to FH V6.

Can you confirm exactly which actions have resulted in the "M" icons disappearing.
Upgrading FH to V6?
Adding "Marriage" Sources to existing or new Marriage Events?
Adding 1911 Census Sources to existing or new Marriage Events?
Some other updates involving Sources and Marriage or Census Events?

For reference the previous posting regarding these Expressions was Individual Records Window (6696).
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

If the new sources have "bumped" the marriage source down, then the icons may not show, try "Bumping" the marriage source back to the top of the source list
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure it is that John, because the Records Window Column still recognises them, and its Expression only detects the top Source.
Robert129
Diamond

Post by Robert129 »

Mike

1. I had upgraded to FHv6 before I made any of these alterations. In fact I bought the CD and upgrades but did not have time to work on my file on Censuses until 14th February. All entries before that had been non Census entries but B M D's and none had affected the "M" icon.

Since 14th Feb I have made 3 Marriage entries and 13 Birth entries. None of which that I can recall affected the "M" icon. On top of that I have made 83 Census entries (I am only counting as 1 entry when AS creates 2 say address & occupation) and they have all been 1911 Census apart from 7 which were 1881.

I first noticed the "M" missing on evening of 16th when I sent off the message to the FHUG forum.

Robert
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have now had an opportunity to check FH V6 and its Box Condition Expressions.
It does not support the %FAM.MARR.SOUR>ABBR% style of Family Data Ref (may be a bug).
It must be changed to %CUR_FAMS>MARR.SOUR>ABBR% which is better, because it refers to the Marriage of the couple displayed in the Diagram, even if it is their 2nd or 3rd or later Marriage.

(You could use the Records Window Column Expression style, but it is very cumbersome.)
Robert129
Diamond

Post by Robert129 »

Mike

I did the above and posted a reply which does not now seem to be linked with the other messages or been hijacked by the posting on Electoral roles.

Anyway I changed the expression to
=ContainsText(%CUR_FAMS>MARR.SOUR>ABBR%"Marriage - England",STD)
as you suggested and I get an error message saying "Expression not valid". Can you see where I have gone wrong?

Sorry if you get this twice but the 1st reply I did to the original response to your posting of 10:38 today I can't find.

Robert
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, the comma between ABBR% and "Marriage is missing.

=ContainsText() requires 3 parameters separated by 2 commas.
i.e.
=ContainsText( %DataRef%, "Text", STD )
Robert129
Diamond

Post by Robert129 »

Mike

Once again I am indebted. I thought I had scrupulously checked for those pesky commas but that one I missed. Sorry for taking up your time.
Robert