* TMG import following 6.0.2

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
mitcheip
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

TMG import following 6.0.2

Post by mitcheip »

I have to say this is a major improvement and puts me in a place where I can "Go Live" with FH.

I have made some checks this morning and it fixes my show stopper issues of:- some date problems, Notes "Events" not being imported, Memos within Events not coming across and the descriptions/Caption missing from Exhibits.

This leaves me with the following missing data, (that I know of):-
  • 1. Lat/Long not imported into the correct fields
    2. The memo field attached to the Father-Bio and Mother-Bio is not imported
    3. No concept of "sort date" so all this data is lost
    4. Import creates multiple copy of Exhibits/Media if it is referenced more that once in TMG, A(I have up to 6 copies of some Exhibits)
    5. Some problems with the way Flags are handled, in particularly "N" and "?" flags in TMG not being import, (which is right for me in most cases but there are times when "N" and "?" are real
I'll handle these by making manual updates, 1-3 I'll run reports in TMG to find the relevant records, a query in FH to find the Exhibits in No 4 and not sure about number No 5....

Anyway great news, time to do a final import and consign TMG to the archive bin.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: TMG import following 6.0.2

Post by tatewise »

Could you please report items 1 and 4 to Calico Pie, or if you have already done so, then remind them they are not fixed.

Item 1 may be quickly fixed with a Plugin similar to TMG Import - Cause of Death (12293).
I would need to know the exact GEDCOM details of where the Lat/Longitude exists and its format.
e.g. FH uses:
0 @P68@ _PLAC Jasper, Alberta, Canada
1 MAP
2 LATI N52.8931233
2 LONG W118.1745794

Is the Lat/Long data added to Place Records in a UDF or is it appended to every Place field and therefore appears in the Place name of each Place Record?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mitcheip
Diamond

Post by mitcheip »

@Mike,

I will remind Calcio of the outstanding issues.

I have checked where the Lat/Long gets placed in the FH GEDCOM and they all look like this:-

1 BURI
2 DATE AFT 11 APR 1917
2 PLAC Arras Memorial, Boulevard du General de Gaulle, Arras, France, 50.287386,2.760015
2 SOUR @S30@
3 QUAY 3
2 OBJE @O1315@
3 _ASID 1
2 OBJE @O1316@
3 _ASID 1
2 OBJE @O1317@
3 _ASID 1
2 OBJE @O1318@
3 _ASID 1
2 OBJE @O1319@
3 _ASID 1
2 NOTE 2 BENCH, JOSEPH Serjeant 1558 11/04/1917 Royal Warwickshire Regiment United Kingdom Bay 3. ARRAS MEMORIAL

So its added to the end of each place record.

No north or south etc just -ve for West eg 50 Essex Street, Walsall, Staffordshire, England, 52.597796,-1.984856

I haven't got any Southern records but presume they would be -ve in the northings
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try the attached Plugin below to move those Lat,Long values into Lat/Long field.

If you are unhappy with the Plugin results then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before Closing FH.

[EDIT: Attachment deleted as now published in how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG).]
mitcheip
Diamond

Post by mitcheip »

@Mike,

Thanks that worked!!!
wmgordon
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by wmgordon »

I used this Plug-In also and it worked perfectly in about 95% of my cases. If I accidently had the same Place (a duplicate) listed without the Lat/Long as the one being changed, it would move the Lat/Long to the proper field but would not remove it from the Place field. I assume this because an exact duplicate Place name like that one already exists (my erroneous duplicate). All I had to do was after the plug-in was run was to merge the two places then remove the Lat/Long from the duplicate location.

Anyway, it saved me a lot of work. Thanks.

Sandy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sandy, I have updated the Plugin to try and cater for the duplicated Place name scenario you described.

If you have a backup copy of your original Project, or can recreate it, I would appreciate you testing out the Plugin.

It is available in how_to:import_from_tmg#quick_fix_plugins|> Import from TMG > Quick Fix Plugins.
wmgordon
Silver

Post by wmgordon »

Mike,

Because I'm still in the testing phase with my TMG import, I deleted my existing FH database file and reimported from TMG. I ran the revised plug-in and it successfully corrected 522 places. There were 6 places that it did not fix completely.

I looked at them and found that each had a matching identical place with a Lat/Long that was slightly different in each so the plug in wouldn't combine them. This makes sense because I wouldn't expect, or want, the plugin to merge two places that weren't identical in all respects.

Great improvement to the plug in.

I'm still doing my work in TMG until I see how John Cardinal's (Second Site) proposed Gedcom website builder performs. Hopefully some time this year. So far I'm leaning toward FH and my replacement.

Sandy
Gordons of Galloway - http://www.gordons.ws
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for running that test, and it usefully proved that the merge concept seems sound.

The Plugin compares all the fields of the potentially same named pair of Place records.
If the record without the Lat,Lng in its Place name has either a blank value or a matching value for each field then the records are merged.

I decided that if the record without the Lat,Lng has a field value, and the other is blank, they should NOT be merged.

FH allows multiple local Note/Memo fields and multiple linked Media/Exhibit fields.
The Plugin only checks the first two of both of those.
Is that enough, or could the TMG import supply more than two Media/Exhibits per Place record?
wmgordon
Silver

Post by wmgordon »

Yes, TMG does allow you to have more than one media item attached to a Place however, I don't know what that limit is. I didn't use that facility in TMG as I always attached my media to the person or an event (Fact) and not to a Place.

I decided to run a test. I attached 4 photos of an old farm in Galloway, Scotland that my ancestors worked in the early 19th Century to the appropriate Place. I reimported the TMG project again and the media shows up in the Media Library but they are not attached to the Place any longer. In fact, each photo shows that it has no links in the database.

So I guess this is another problem with the import:
If Media is attached to a Place name in TMG, the Media imports and shows up in the FH Media Library but is no longer attached to the Place.

Sandy
http://www.gordons.ws
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is what I discovered with earlier FH V5 imports from TMG, and is noted in how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) under Known Problems as "All links from any Place or Citation or Repository to their Multimedia are omitted." So that has not improved with FH V6 and the Plugin is OK, but it could easily be updated to support any number of links.