* Ancestry trees ~ import to FH

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
makfai
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Ancestry trees ~ import to FH

Post by makfai »

I use ancestry but mainly for getting hints and allowing other family members to view/contribute. I don't upload all my data from FH about a person but just enough to trigger hints. FH is my main 'repository'.

When I want to import to FH the data which I have found from ancestry hints how can I best do this without replacing the person in FH? I want to add the new data but not erase the accurate data which I had left on FH.
SOFTWARE
DESKTOP: FH6; AS; GenQuiry; Scrivener; Scapple; OneNote; Trello; FTM.
IPAD: GedFamilies; Mobile Family Tree; OneNote; Research Logger; Storyist; Ilaro; Inspiration; Index Card; MindNode; MagicalPad; Trello; and others!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestry trees ~ import to FH

Post by tatewise »

Makfai, I suspect the easiest way forward is to update your FH data with each new piece of Ancestry data by hand. The only way of exporting from Ancestry is as a Gedcom for the whole tree, so it would be tricky to extract from that just the new data you wanted.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

tatewise wrote:Makfai, I suspect the easiest way forward is to update your FH data with each new piece of Ancestry data by hand. The only way of exporting from Ancestry is as a Gedcom for the whole tree, so it would be tricky to extract from that just the new data you wanted.
Thanks, that is what I am doing now but it seems such a slow way to do it in the 'computer age' :(

I had wondered about renaming the amended ones (e.g. Thomas Brown becomes Thomas XBrown) importing them then merging them as duplicates.
SOFTWARE
IPAD: GedFamilies; Mobile Family Tree; OneNote; Research Logger; Storyist; Ilaro; Inspiration; Index Card; MindNode; MagicalPad; Trello; and others!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It depends how much data is involved. I got the impression it was only small fragments, and with the improved FH V6 Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop that would be the easiest route.

But if more data is involved you could try transferring data by Gedcom. The main snag is that Ancestry can only export your entire tree in one large Gedcom (unless you know better). That Gedcom can be imported into FH and validated and cleaned. Then using File > Export > GEDCOM File or File > Split Tree Helper you can export just the Individuals and associated Records you want to update. That smaller Gedcom can then be merged into your main Project using File > Merge/Compare File. Don't change the names of any Individuals otherwise the automatic matching in Merge/Compare won't work. When everything is satisfactory, then the temporary Gedcoms can be deleted.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

tatewise wrote:It depends how much data is involved. . . can be deleted.
You are not far off the mark. What I have been doing is
exporting from the main FH Tree smallish GEDCOMs by selecting small 'family' groups;
putting them into ancestry to see what hints are generated; and
then I intend to bring the new data back into FH.

Of course, in doing the last step I have to avoid wiping out the data already in FH!
SOFTWARE
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you follow the route I outlined, the only step that affects your main Project is the Merge. Always make a Backup before you start just in case. The Merge has lots of options to choose what data is incorporated. The main Project data is retained by default and only changed if you choose to. See glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge Compare Files for advice, and don't forget the Merge Files dialogue Help button.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

tatewise wrote:If you follow the route I outlined, the only step that affects your main Project is the Merge. Always make a Backup before you start just in case. The Merge has lots of options to choose what data is incorporated. The main Project data is retained by default and only changed if you choose to. See glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge Compare Files for advice, and don't forget the Merge Files dialogue Help button.
Thanks Mike - very helpful. :!:
SOFTWARE
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

As Mike said in an earlier post:
Since you have decided to use FH for your master database, then eventually your Gedcom tree should always be exported from FH to Ancestry and not the other way. Except that is when you are able to download other peoples trees from Ancestry and merge them into FH.

For all my data I like to keep 1 Master and copy from that (i.e. I don't sync, I just copy), saves a lot of headscratching, duplication and loss of data. KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid. I find when I use Ancestry I am all over the place and often dropping into other databases for corroborating evidence, so the master of FH makes it easier to control.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

jimlad68 wrote:For all my data I like to keep 1 Master and copy from that (i.e. I don't sync, I just copy), saves a lot of headscratching, duplication and loss of data. KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid. I find when I use Ancestry I am all over the place and often dropping into other databases for corroborating evidence, so the master of FH makes it easier to control.
I do the same. FH is my ultimate 'repository' backed up to Dropbox AND an additional hard-drive!

I use FTM and Ancestry essentially as research tools. I can access the hints which Ancestry generates and also add things directly when I am doing searches. So saying the data which Ancestry adds from a census is inadequate leaving out data items which it already has available e.g. Occupations.

Can't beat Ancestral Sources for data input!
SOFTWARE
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you are starting to answer your original question yourself.

Use manual Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop for minor udates.

Use Ancestral Sources for capturing NEW BMD & Census Sources.

Use the Gedcom route I explained above to Merge larger chunks of a tree.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

You are probably right :D However, getting pointers from other experienced users helps focus the mind.

Of course, there is always the other Rumsfield Option that there are always 'things we don't know we don't know' and posting on here sometimes highlights that. I still rue the time I spent entering data being unaware of AS!
SOFTWARE
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are right it does no harm to ask.

BTW: No need to "quote" the previous posting when replying.
makfai
Famous

Post by makfai »

tatewise wrote:You are right it does no harm to ask. BTW: No need to "quote" the previous posting when replying.
I know but sometimes it is helpful.
SOFTWARE