* Speculative Link

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BillFraser
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Speculative Link

Post by BillFraser »

What is the best way of recording a "speculative link" - eg of recording someone as being a possible child of someone else? I would like some way of recording this and displaying the link as being speculative. Then, if further evidence emerges that the link is correct, then a way of converting it to a standard link (and, of course, of removing the link if it proves to be incorrect). Thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Speculative Link

Post by tatewise »

Bill, first a little housekeeping:
To save you telling us each time, could you please set your FH Version so it appears in the right-hand panel.
At the very top of this FHUG page click User Control Panel, then on the Profile tab select Family Historian Version at the bottom and click Submit.

There is no built in explicit way of recording those speculative relationships.

Most users create normal Parent ~ Child links and then use other fields to indicate how certain the relationship is.
e.g.
Birth Certificate evidence via Source Citations can use Citation Assessment: Primary evidence to confirm its certainty.
Similarly, less certain evidence can use Citation Assessment: Unreliable.
Alternatively, just add appropriate Notes to indicate the speculation.

When better evidence emerges, just update the Source Citation details and Notes, or unlink the relationship and associated records. But consider retaining some data to show the speculative relationship has been discounted, and prevent you, or anyone who inherits your data, from following that trail again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

This is always a tricky one, but happens very regularly, especially if you key up to your database as you go, rather than take notes and key up when you are more sure. For me it is important to notate/highlight how tentative it is so it is easy to spot. The 2 methods I favour are:

<> Add to the Forename your doubt e.g. "##POSSIBLE## James" or "##Proobably 2 more children##
<> I have custom fact that always appears first in reports/ trees, this can have a note regarding the surety. Also add to any other relevant fact notes.

I too would be interested to see how other people deal with this.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

I've created a flag called 'tentative' which I use to change the name of individual grey in diagrams - this is a quick reminder to me that I'm not sure of the connection...see the attached image.
Attachments
temp.png
temp.png (5.98 KiB) Viewed 15260 times
William
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

ASSOCIATIONS are another possible way forward. Don't record Tom as a son of Dick but create an ASSOCIATION between Tom and Dick - which must be added to both parties. The advantage of this is that it becomes easier to define exactly what the speculation is.

For instance you might know from his marriage record that Tom's father is called Dick - but not which Dick. Then you could record Tom and Dick (his father who may have no known detail other than his name) and also the known Dick. Then create an ASSOCIATION between the two Dicks. You can put the proper sources and if you do confirm your thoughts then merge the two Dicks.
Adrian
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

Thanks for the suggestions, though I don't think they provide what I am looking for. Essentially, I am looking for the ability to add an attribute to a link, not to an individual. Even being able to display a specific link differently - different colour, or as a dotted line - would suffice, but, as far as I am aware, this is not possible. Potentially, I have a large number of such speculative links.

[I am exploring all Frasers in a specific parish in Scotland, Lochbroom, and I have copies of all available birth, marriage and death certificates as well as census records. Even where there is no conclusive evidence (or at least as conclusive as statutory records can be!) it is probable that a number of the individuals are related. I would like to be able to differentiate between "beyond all reasonable doubt" evidence and "on the balance of probability" evidence.]
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Associations can have types, relationship names, notes and source citations. GEDCOM does not include any attributes for the link between a person and the family that holds them - only for the family itself, which doesn't help us.

Associations could have a relationship type of "possible father", e.g.:
"Thomas Smith", associated as (i.e. Relationship) "possible father" of (Associated Person) "John Smith" - Source being whatever documents you use.

I have used this construction myself.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are a few GEDCOM fields that are specific to the Parent ~ Child relationship.
e.g.
Relationship = %INDI.FAMC[1].PEDI[1]%
However, this only allows a predefined set of values: Adopted, Foster, Step, Illegitimate, etc.
Parents Note = %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2%
This Note can hold any text value such as Speculative or Beyond all reasonable doubt, etc.
It specifically relates to the Individual (INDI) and their 1st Parents (FAMC[1]).
Alternatively, to their 2nd Parents (FAMC[2]) or any other instance.

This Note field can be easily added to the Main tab of the Propery Box, easily included in Reports and Queries, and even used in Diagram Boxes Conditions to adjust Box features, but NOT the line bewteen Individual and Parents. (It would be neat if this could be added as a feature to FH.)

Usually this Note must be created in the All tab, but if added to the Main tab of the Propery Box it can be edited there.

You can also add a Source Citation to this Note to clarify its derivation.

See also FHUG Wish List Ref 17 Flag a relationship as Tentative.
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

This might not be what you want either, but you could create a text scheme for your diagrams which has a line at the top and a line at the bottom briefly indicating the level of certainty for the relationship going up, or down, as appropriate. You could create a custom fact to hold this information. Thus speaks someone with no expertise in FH!

On a somewhat related issue I've found it very helpful to have two lines at the bottom of each box identifying which village (or croft, if known) an individual grew up in, and then married to...I'm tracking the Macleod's of Point on the Isle of Lewis and there are SO many Donald Macleods it's not funny - not so far from Lochbroom where I also have ancestors :D
William
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

I'll need to mull over the "text scheme" idea, as I do want something that displays on the diagram. And I guess it would only be necessary to display a suspect link in one direction - either for the parent having a suspect child, or a child having a suspect father, but not both.

I smiled at the mention of "Donald" - I have currently 59 Donald Frasers in my database, all different people. Also a large number of Murdos, Kenneths, Alexanders, and Rodericks.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you use my suggestion for the %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2% then the Note text can easily be inserted in the Child Box in any Font/Colour to make it stand out.

If the Child has more than one potential Parent then the correct Text will appear on Diagrams showing the associated Parent.
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

I need to refresh my memory on using field names like %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2% !

I have only dappled with such field names in the past, and then only occasionally, so I have to "relearn" every time.

I think, on reflection, I need to set up a standard parent/child link, then flag that the child's link to his parent is only tentative, possibly having an option to add a note for the rationale. Then, for such flagged individuals (and only for them), having text within the diagram box such as "Father Tentative: Y" as well as the boxes themselves displayed differently, possibly using the icon showing a question mark. Being able to click on the "Father Tentative: Y" on the diagram, and bring up any associated note, would be a bonus!

It would appear that I could do much of this several ways, but I am out of my comfort zone with FH, and I need to do some experimenting.

Thanks for the suggestions.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I would suggest you just use the Note and forget about the Flag.
The existence of the Note can be used as a Box Condition to set any feature: icon, colour, shape, etc.
Different Keywords in the Note could even be used to set different Box features.

If you customise the Property Box to show the Note as I mentioned above, then when you click on the Box to open the Property Box the Note will be right there.

If you need a refresher about any of the above then I am happy to help.
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

I suspect I need more than a "refresher", which would suggest I already have, or I had, a certain level of expertise!

However can you tell me, or point me in the necessary direction, how I go about setting up a Parents Note = %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2% record?

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK Bill, please read all this advice before doing anything.

The %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2% is a subsidiary field of any Individual Record.
Like many less popular fields, it is accessed via the All tab of the Property Box:
  • To create this Note, in the All tab, right-click the Parent family item and choose Add Note > Add Note to this Record.
    You can then enter the Note text just like any other Note field.
  • To view an existing Note, in the All tab, click the [+] next to the Parent family item.
To make the Note more accessible it can be added to the Main tab of the Property Box.
  1. Click the Property Box Menu icon top right and choose Customize.
  2. Ensure Tab: Main is set at top, and untick Show most commonly-used items only at bottom.
  3. In Available Items select <Custom Item> at the top and click the central > button.
  4. In the popup choose Main area for Individual and click OK.
  5. You are now creating a New Custom Item. Click Help for details.
  6. Enter a Name such as Parentage, tick Part 1, and enter a similar Label.
  7. Set Data Reference to %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2%.
    (You can also use the <<Select button.)
  8. Click OK and click OK again.
There should now be a Parentage box on the Main tab just above the Spouses tabs.
You can now enter, view, edit the Note text here instead of the All tab.
With it selected you can add a Source Citation if required just like any other Note field.

The Individual may have a 2nd set of Parents and their Note is %INDI.FAMC[2].NOTE2%.
This can similarly be added to the Main tab but with a different Label.
It can be on the same row alongside, or on a new row below, the 1st Note.
But we can tackle that later.
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

Many thanks.

I'll experiment with your comprehensive instructions in a test database so as I can understand what I am doing. I'll let you know how I get on, but it may not be until the New Year, as I will be away over Christmas.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See a sequel to this in Speculative Link ~ Diagrams (12006).
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

I think I am making a little progress. I am trying to avoid "Notes" as I suspect the possibility of having multiple notes for an individual, and the Speculative Note being not necessarily in a predefined position (eg not always being a NOTE1), could cause problems, at least for me. Instead I am trying the following. I have added a new attribute "PARENTAGE SPECULATED" which appears on my diagram along with any of its associated notes. When I add this to an individual, and add an entry "Y", then I have arranged that the block displays differently, (dotted outline in bold red), along with a Question Mark icon. See attached pdf. I think this does what I want.
I have only tried it for one linkage, and will mull over this approach for a few days before I make more use of the approach. However, can anyone see any problems?
Thanks
Attachments
Children of John FRASER.pdf
(61.34 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Don't mix up Notes with Notes.
A great many database/GEDCOM fields can have a local Note attached.
e.g.
Each Individual Record can have a local Note,
Each Event/Attribute Fact can have a local Note,
Each Citation can have a local Note,
Each Source Record can have a local Note,
and so it goes on and on...
Each Parent Family item can have a local Note.
These are all completely separate Note fields.

If you use the Customized Propery Box method to access the Parent Family local Note, then only one instance of that Note will ever be created, however many times you edit it.

Might you ever want to record two possible sets of Parents for one Individual, or perhaps a possible Mother and a possible Father, where there is no known relationship between the Mother and Father.
In this case your Parentage Speculated Attribute cannot be applied to the two Parents with different Notes and Citations for each one. It is little better than a Record Flag that I believe you were not keen on to start with.
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

Yes, I realise "Notes" can exist in many places, but I don't understand your comment that only one instance of an Individual or Family note can be created. I have created a number of notes for a single (test) individual, all display on the diagram, and each is separately listed in the .ged file. It is the same for Family notes, though these don't seem to display. However that may be because of the particular settings I currently have.

However on a more practical front, I think I would only ever be interested in creating a single "speculative link" from a person to a single father, and then only when there was good circumstantial evidence for the link. I cannot see ever wanting to record that there was (say) a 50% chance of A being the father, 30% of B, and 20% of C. For my possibly limited objective, my proposed method seems to work fine.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, for your particular speculative parent link scenario, your custom Attribute will work fine.

However, I must clear up one misunderstanding to do with Notes.
The Parent Family local Note is different from the Family Record local Note.

I said there were lots of local Notes, and the Parent Family local Note is well hidden.
As I mentioned earlier it's usually only accessed on All tab of the Individual Property Box.
Its data reference is %INDI.FAMC[1].NOTE2% for 1st parents or %INDI.FAMC[2].NOTE2% for 2nd parents, etc.

This is distinct from a Family Record local Note you spoke of, that can easily have multiple instances.
Its data reference is %FAM.NOTE2[1]% or %FAM.NOTE2[2]% for 2nd instance.

I suggested the Parent Family local Note should be accessed via a custom field in the Property Box, and then only its 1st instance will be accessed.
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

I have decided to "improve" my solution, and have run into a problem! Possibly some one can advise.

I decided to try triggering my "speculated" box style by using a Birth Note (rather than a new attribute), as this seems more logical and will display in a manner that I find more appealing.

I have set up a function =ContainsText(%INDI.BIRT.NOTE2%,"Speculated") and this works as intended but only if "Speculated" is in the first Birth Note (which would normally be the case). However if I have two Birth Notes, and only the second contains the word "Speculated", my "speculated" box style is not triggered.

I have two queries:-

a) Why does the expression have to be %.....NOTE2..% ? What is the significance of the "2"? (When I knock the 2 out, the function does not work)

b) Can I modify the function so it would work, regardless of which Birth Note contained the word "Speculated" ?

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

a) NOTE2 is the Data Ref tag used to refer to a local Note, whereas NOTE is the Data Ref tag used to refer to a Note Record link. The GEDCOM tag for both is NOTE, but one is followed by text and the other by @link@, so both %INDI.BIRT.NOTE2% and %INDI.BIRT.NOTE% are needed to differentiate a local Note from a Note Record link. An alternative for the latter is %INDI.BIRT.NOTE>%.

b) To refer to an instance of a tag you add [1] or [2], etc, but if not speified it defaults to [1]. So %INDI.BIRT.NOTE2% means %INDI.BIRT.NOTE2[1]% and %INDI.BIRT.NOTE2[2]% refers to 2nd instance of the local Note.

Thus the Expression needs to be:
=IsTrue(ContainsText(%INDI.BIRT.NOTE2%,"Speculated") or ContainsText(%INDI.BIRT.NOTE2[2]%,"Speculated") )

Add extra or ContainsText(%INDI.BIRT.NOTE2[3]%,"Speculated"), etc, until you have covered enough instances.
BillFraser
Gold

Post by BillFraser »

Many thanks "Tatewise" for your help. The distinction between NOTE and NOTE2 had escaped me, and has caused me considerable confusion! It is all much clearer now. And your suggested syntax for an expression to cover multiple Birth Notes works perfectly. I am very grateful
Wilfreda99
Diamond

Post by Wilfreda99 »

Bill,
Having read this thread I have successfully created a box with broken lines for 'Speculative parents', which I think I will find very useful. Thank you, I hadn't noticed the conditional formatting for diagrams before. I might tackle the Birthnote function coding described by you and Tatewise later.
A couple of features in your diagram interest me -
- Did you enter the information about occupations manually in the note field of a census item, or did you make it post automatically as part of the process of entering and saving data via Ancestral Sources? If so - how? I would prefer to have details of occupations with the 'Census' info rather than (or as well as?) on a separate 'Occupation' line. I think you must have entered it manually since it is not exclusively occupation data, I used to do this but decided to work with what was provided via Ancestral Sources in the interests of speed.
- I noticed that most of the notes in the diagram have square brackets but a few have round brackets, eg "PARENTAGE SPECULATED: Y. (hypothesised by Alasdair Fraser)". Is there a criteria for which goes where?