* Note fields not transferring from FTM GED

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
mardler
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Note fields not transferring from FTM GED

Post by mardler »

Hello folks. Wondering whether someone can help me with this problem, please. I have a GED file output from Family Tree Maker 2012 by a helpful correspondent which contains several notes attached to individual facts, not the general notes field for the individual. This is a "clean" GED file, by which I mean that it contains only data for 50 people; there are no associated media files or anything like that. After importing into FH, I spotted that notes attached to probate facts were not being imported into FH.

I asked for the original FTM file and have a copy of it and now I check I see that other Notes are not transferring either, even though I can see them in the GED file open with NotePad++. Logically, it seems like one of a few things is happening: either
1) FTM is not outputting the GED file in the standard format, or
2) FH is not recognizing certain parts of that file, or
3) I am blundering big time

I've tried looking through past notes in the forum and trying various things (eg, setting up a new project rather than just working on the GED file directly, saving it and then importing into my master file) but nothing I've tried so far seems to work.

Can someone help, please? Since I have the file open in FTM2012 I can provide sections of the GED file if that would help.
TIA
Paul
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Note fields not transferring from FTM GED

Post by tatewise »

Have you checked that the FTM 2012 Export follows the advice in how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM)?

Usually if there is a problem with the GEDCOM format then FH will produce an error report.

Have you checked the Notes tab in the Records Window to see if they are there?

If all that fails, then some sample GEDCOM would help to diagnose the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mardler
Gold

Post by mardler »

Thank you very much for the swift reply, Mike. Yes, since I now have the master file, I have followed the instructions to the letter, I believe.
The (short) error report on import contained two references to known issues and aren't relevant, BUT
I checked the Notes tab and they are indeed all there! YAY! Phew!

However, the Notes do not appear where I had expected to see them, which is now a refinement of my original question.
For example, I have an individual who died in 1950. In the Facts tab of the Focus Window, there is a fact labelled Probate, date 16 Jun 1950, place London, but no observable note in the open fields below.

But when I click over to the All tab, what I then see is
Probate
- Date 16 June 1950
- Place London
- Source Probate records
- Note Rec Probate to Isaac Howes.......

Can you now diagnose/explain why I'm not seeing that note in the Notes field of the Facts, please?
Thank you
Paul
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

There are lots of ways of creating Notes in lots of different positions in GEDCOM, and FH mirrors the GEDCOM structure.

Those that you were expecting on Facts such as Probate are local Notes that are directly coupled to only one Fact.

Note Records are separate records just like Individuals and Sources are separate records. They can be linked to all the same positions as local Notes, but multiple links are allowed, so one Note Record can be shared by many Facts, etc.

Clearly, FTM has chosen to Export its Notes as GEDCOM Note Records rather than local Notes.

However, there is a Plugin Clean Up Notes that is specifically designed to fix that scenario.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mardler
Gold

Post by mardler »

Thank you VERY much again, Mike. I will run that plug-in, on a test file first!
Regards
Paul