* Lock up adding OLE object

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Gercobley
Family Historian: V5

Lock up adding OLE object

Post by Gercobley »

I am running FH ver 5.0.11 and on adding an 'OLE object' the folder window opens followed by a 'Server busy' message. It states 'This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'switch to' to activate the busy program and correct the problem' There are 3 buttons available in this box, 'switch to' takes me to the Windows App start screen, 'retry' does nothing and 'Cancel' is not available. The only way to get out of this lock out is to restart the PC. On 'restart' I get 'FHP- Focus window - this application is preventing restart' 'Server busy - fh.exe - application error', however the application closes and the PC restarts. Am running FH on a Windows 8.1. 64 bit system. Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Gerald Cobley - Researching Cobley and Powell families.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Lock up adding OLE object

Post by Jane »

Personally I have never used the OLE objects, what were you trying to add which required using it?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Gercobley

Post by Gercobley »

A document in PDF format.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

I would advise NOT to use the OLE Object option to add a PDF.

See how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|> Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia especially under Adding Other Media.

However, when browsing to add a PDF document you must change the File Type list, bottom right, to All files (*.*) so that the PDF document is listed.

I would advise you consider converting the PDF to JPEG or PNG so that it displays in Reports, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gercobley

Post by Gercobley »

Thanks Mike,
Was experimenting , trying to overcome problem of PDF's not appearing in reports. Wish I had spotted/read the Knowledge Base article beforehand. Have now successfully added the document in JPG format.