* Identifying Siblings

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
DavidNewton
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Identifying Siblings

Post by DavidNewton »

I have a problem with a numbering plugin. The plugin works fine for most of my file but I found one individual who was consistently not being numbered. It turned out to be one of a pair of siblings who had no recorded parents. It is an old file I am using for practice and I have no idea why they were recorded (possibly together in a census) - although I note that adding a sibling is quite straightforward.

Is there any method within a plugin that I can use to ensure that I pick them both up as siblings. I have checked Jane's recent plugin on searching for parents and siblings but, as is made clear, the parents have to be recorded for that to work.

David
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Identifying Siblings

Post by Jane »

The way I did that plugin goes back to parents using shortcut data references. If you go back via the Family as Child records you can spot siblings.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Jane

Many thanks. I was using a modified version of the allChildren function of your plugin to do my sibling numbering and it works very well and I do need to have all those children. Your comment, however, has put me onto the right track (i think! it's a bit early in the day yet). At the end of the first pass of my numbering algorithm I do a check of family records and I see now that I failed to take account of the possibility of a family with no recorded parents and included them within the class of not yet numbered parents.

David
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Jane

It was easier than I thought (how often does that happen?) I simply checked for an empty parents table (in the allChildren function), and moved to direct links to the child family if it was.

Many thanks

David