* FH5.0.9 running under Crossover on Mavericks -moving screen

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
plantheaven
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FH5.0.9 running under Crossover on Mavericks -moving screen

Post by plantheaven »

Hi,
I have recently bought a Macbook Pro running Mavericks (a Mac convert so still a newbie). I downloaded the trial version of Crossover and FH ran fine. However, since paying for it the crossover/fh window follows me when I swipe to a new screen. It did not do this before, it remained fixed in the screen in which I opened it. Have I ticked/not ticked a box somewhere or put in a command I should not have? It is getting a little frustrating, any suggestions? :?
Jacqui
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Re: FH5.0.9 running under Crossover on Mavericks -moving scr

Post by gerrynuk »

Possible solution: Right click on the Crossover icon in the Dock. Click on Options. If you have Assign to: All Desktops ticked then choose one of the other options and see if that changes the behaviour.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Hi Gerry,
NONE was ticked when I went into options. I tried assigning it to a particular desktop but to no avail. :cry:
Jacqui
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

What happens when you click on All Desktops?
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Hi Gerry,
Just tried it and the screen still keeps moving with me. :cry: I cannot see what could possible have changed between the trial and paying for it!! There was no download of a 'full' programme so it has to be me and what I have done, just don't know what it was that I did.
Jacqui
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

I have Assign to: None and the window does not move when I change Desktops. Neither does the window move when I select Assign To: This Desktop. It does move when I select Assign To: All Desktops.

If you don't get this behaviour I suggest you delete and reinstall Crossover. If this doesn't help then you could ask on the Codeweaver web site forum.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Hi Gerry,
Thanks for all your help but will have to try the Codeweavers forum. I deleted and then reloaded Crossover but FH still follows me through all the screens!! :?
Jacqui
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

Update on this problem.

I took your advice and got in touch with Crossover. It took some doing but the following from them did the trick. I am posting it in case anyone else is having this problem too.

'Launch Crossover and Family Historian. Then go down to your dock and right-click (control-click) the Crossover icon, go to Options, and make sure it's set to This Desktop. Do the same with the Family Historian dock icon too. That should keep Crossover and FH on one Space instead of all of them.'

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jacqui
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for the feedback Jacqui and I am pleased the problem has been fixed.
It seems that Gerry was on the right lines, but not enough Doc Icons had been set.
I have added the advice to the Knowledge Base page.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Thanks for the update, Jacqui. Glad you managed to sort things out. And thanks to Mike for updating the KB.

Having run FH and AS with Crossover for a couple of weeks everything is fairly stable but I notice that Crossover sometimes needs a Force Quit to close it. I'm sure things will improve as new editions of Crossover are released and this now seems to be a recommendable way to run FH and AS on a Mac.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gerry, not really to do with this thread, but have you tried using any of my Plugin Help & Advice buttons to get a help page in a browser.

Also it would be interesting to try the Lookup Missing Census Facts Plugin to see how it uses a browser.

Also try any of my Plugin Set Window Fonts buttons and experiment with both the Font buttons and the three Colour option buttons.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

tatewise wrote:Gerry, not really to do with this thread, but have you tried using any of my Plugin Help & Advice buttons to get a help page in a browser.

Also it would be interesting to try the Lookup Missing Census Facts Plugin to see how it uses a browser.

Also try any of my Plugin Set Window Fonts buttons and experiment with both the Font buttons and the three Colour option buttons.
Mike, I'm away for a few days so will try these experiments when I get back.
plantheaven
Diamond

Post by plantheaven »

A big thank you for trying to help, it took Codeworks more than a few e-mails to work out what had gone wrong but we got there in the end. :lol:
Jacqui
martync
Diamond

Re: FH5.0.9 running under Crossover on Mavericks

Post by martync »

Thanks to all the people that worked on getting FH / AS working under Crossover on the MAC. I "went over to the dark side" last week and got a Macbook Air as I wanted something light with a good battery life for travelling and following the instructions in the Wiki it was a very quick and painless process to get FH and AS working with my existing data. I have put my project files on an external drive and can use it with my MAC or my PC at home where I clone the drive for a backup.

All the best,
Martyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Alternatively, you could use Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive or Dropbox to synchronise your PC and MAC project data.

In addition do not overlook all your Preference settings and Customisations that need synchronising.

Unfortunately, the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin V2.0 does not currently run in Crossover on MAC, but I am hopeful that the next version will do.