* FH-v5 AS-v4 WinXP Crossover & Wine Bottles

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

FH-v5 AS-v4 WinXP Crossover & Wine Bottles

Post by gerrynuk »

Nick's announcement about the next version of AS has been the trigger for me to upgrade from XP to Windows 8 - I hope the experience won't be too traumatic! As a Mac user I have been holding off upgrading from XP in the hope that Wine or something similar could be used to allow me to run FH and AS but the small chance of this route being available in the near future and without too much customisation for the average computer user has finally convinced me that I had no option but to move to Win 8. It will be interesting to see how well FH and AS run on Win 8 operating in Parallels on my 2 year old iMac.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH-v5 AS-v4 WinXP Crossover & Wine Bottles

Post by tatewise »

Gerry, I presume you have been following the thread FH running on Wine (10907) and how_to:install_family_historian_with_crossover_wine|> How to Install Family Historian with Crossover and Wine in which Valkrider had success with FH and AS on Crossover, but less so on Wine which is ongoing?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

tatewise wrote:Gerry, I presume you have been following the thread FH running on Wine (10907) and how_to:install_family_historian_with_crossover_wine|> How to Install Family Historian with Crossover and Wine in which Valkrider had success with FH and AS on Crossover, but less so on Wine which is ongoing?
Yes, I have, Mike. I was hoping that Wine would be the answer but I'm not convinced that it would provide a stable platform and I don't want to take the risk with my data. Also, would AS v4 run in this mode? Too many unknowns at present.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Gerry, Windows 8.1 is not so bad, if you get 8 it's a free upgrade via the Store, personally I spend the $4.99 on Start 8 to get it even more like Windows 7 for my machines which don't have a touch screen.

You might also find these suggestions for 8.1 useful

http://www.howtogeek.com/167013/how-to- ... esktop-pc/

also 8.1.1 (due soon) should detect non touch screens and set Windows up properly to work with them, including an option to start on the desktop rather than the menu (or what ever MS are calling it these days).

Nick, I won't have time to give AS a good bash as the moment, but if you need any other help give me a shout.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gerry, you are absolutely correct that AS V4 would not run, because only a Windows XP Crossover/Wine Bottle has worked. This is because Crossover/Wine say that FH V5 is only compatible with Windows XP and NOT Vista or Win 7/8, and AS & FH must run in the same Bottle!
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

Once AS4 is available I am going to give it a go at getting the MAC to run both AS and FH under Win 7 in a bottle and will update you as to how that goes.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Jane wrote:Gerry, Windows 8.1 is not so bad, if you get 8 it's a free upgrade via the Store, personally I spend the $4.99 on Start 8 to get it even more like Windows 7 for my machines which don't have a touch screen.

You might also find these suggestions for 8.1 useful

http://www.howtogeek.com/167013/how-to- ... esktop-pc/

also 8.1.1 (due soon) should detect non touch screens and set Windows up properly to work with them, including an option to start on the desktop rather than the menu (or what ever MS are calling it these days).

Nick, I won't have time to give AS a good bash as the moment, but if you need any other help give me a shout.
Thanks, Jane. I'll have a look at that link. I have only "played" with Win 8 in the shops and must say it felt very different to previous versions of Windows.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Valkrider wrote:Mike

Once AS4 is available I am going to give it a go at getting the MAC to run both AS and FH under Win 7 in a bottle and will update you as to how that goes.
If you can get both of them to work this would still be an option for me.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Gerry

The current versions do work but on the paid Crossover not on the free Wine though. The problem with Wine is it won't do the update from 5.0.7 to 5.0.9 of FH and this is required for some plugins. Other than that it works. Read the Knowledge Base article and if you need any specific help PM me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin said above:
but in thread FH running on Wine (10907) on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:46 pm Colin said:
Crossover won't allow FH to install in a Win7 Bottle as it says that it is not a compatible OS!!! It will allow AS 32 Bit to install to a Win7 Bottle.
Since Crossover says FH is not compatible with Win7 then AS & FH cannot both run in a Crossover Win7 bottle, but maybe it is possible that Wine will let AS & FH run in a Win7 bottle :?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

All

Just to confirm that AS v4.0.0 works perfectly in my existing Family Historian Bottle. Even though Crossover advised not installing it in that Bottle I took a chance and did. It overwrote the V3 of Ancestral Sources that was already in the Bottle and it runs fine so far with the limited testing that I have given it

So at the moment I am using Crossover V13.1.2 Family Historian 5.0.9 and Ancestral Sources v4.0.0 all on a Mac running Mavericks. The bottle is configured as a 32bit XP one.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

I have downloaded the trial version of Crossover 13.1.2 and installed both FH 5.0.9 and AS 4.0.1 in the same bottle.

FH is working but, as I think has been reported elsewhere, reports display without text although they still save OK. This is a bit disconcerting but I could probably live with it. Are there any other issues that I have not yet come across?

I cannot get AS 4.0.1 to run. It seems to be properly installed but when I try to run it I don't get any error message but the program fails to start.

The is the Manage Bottle Window:
Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 21.02.27.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 21.02.27.png (106.87 KiB) Viewed 14622 times
and this is the Program Menu:
Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 21.02.44.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 21.02.44.png (44.15 KiB) Viewed 14622 times
Have I missed something? Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have a lot more installed in my bottle than you. So much in fact that I can't get them all on the screen, the 2 line items missing off the top of mine are Ancestral Sources and Crossover
Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 8.52.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 8.52.54 AM.png (65.62 KiB) Viewed 14600 times
You are missing the Net framework which is critical. Read through the Knowledgebase that Mike wrote and I edited and also look on the Crossover support forums with some other minor tweaks that I did.

There is nothing that I have found that can be done about the reports. I have reported the issue to both Calico and Crossover and hopefully there will be a solution in the future.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Thanks, Valkrider. I have now installed Net Framework 3 and AS seems to be working, although I cannot Restore the previous settings. When I can find the time I will do some more work on that one.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

No problem Gerry, glad you got it working.

I can now confirm that 4.0.1 also works fine and the upgrade in the Bottle worked perfectly.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

When I try to Restore the previous settings in AS I get the following error message:
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 20.54.06.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 20.54.06.png (38.97 KiB) Viewed 14549 times
and I get the same message when I try to save the existing settings.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If possible, can you revert to AS v4.0.0 &/or v3.2.3 and see if those older versions suffer a similar problem.

If those earlier AS versions all fail in a similar way, then it is probably an omission in the Crossover implementation that should be reported to them.

Otherwise, it is a change in the AS implementation that Nick Walker might possibly be able to circumvent (but don't tell him I said so :D ).
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Sorry Mike, I don't have the source file for any versions of AS prior to v4.0.1.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Here are links to those two files on my OneDrive:
AncestralSources32bit_3_2_3.exe
AncestralSources32bit_4_0_0.exe
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

gerrynuk wrote:When I try to Restore the previous settings in AS I get the following error message:
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 20.54.06.png
and I get the same message when I try to save the existing settings.
I'd guess it is an issue with the file paths for the settings and/or backup or log file folders. You may want to check those in settings. The error message perhaps suggests the folders don't exist and they can't be created for some reason.

If you can't figure it out can you email me a copy of the backup file you're trying to import and also email the full error when you click the 'Details' button.

Also Ancestral Sources v4 targets .Net Framework 3.5 (which is different to 3).

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Hi Nick,

I have used the installed file paths and the "mac" version but both throw up the same error message. I have .Net Framework v3.5 Service Pack 1 in the same "bottle".
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 08.56.39.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 08.56.39.png (126.89 KiB) Viewed 14509 times
The full error details are attached with the backup file created with the previously created Options file.
Attachments
AS Options Backup.xml
(20.05 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Error.txt
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gerry, have you re-installed AS after installing MS .NET Framework v3.5 SP1?

The Error.txt log implies that AS is still using MS .NET Framework v2.0 SP2.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Mike,

I uninstalled AS and then reinstalled but am still getting an error message (see file attached). The operating system wouldn't allow me to delete .Net Framework 2 or 3.
Attachments
Error.txt
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I notice that the path to your settings folders have this format:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Logs
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Settings
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Backups

whereas other paths are in this format:

\\psf\Home\Documents\Family Historian Projects

Perhaps try changing those paths to:

\\psf\Home\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Logs
\\psf\Home\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Settings
\\psf\Home\Documents\Ancestral Sources\Backups

(And make sure the Ancestral Sources folder is in that location).

I have absolutely no idea whether this would work and I've got no knowledge of running virtual machines on Mac but it is something which looks 'odd' to me.
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I googled this error message and someone said that this was because they'd set the wine configuration to Windows XP instead of Windows 7. I don't know if that is relevant.
Nick Walker