* Find duplicate individuals?

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Find duplicate individuals?

Post by Valkrider »

I am considering moving to Family Historian and am making use of the 30 day trial version currently. One thing that seems to be missing that is in most other programmes is 'Find Duplicate Individuals'. I understand that this is not built in. Is there an easy way to do this and then merge the records Like there is in other programmes?

TIA

Colin

ID:6292
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The best way to look for potential duplicates is to display the records window for individual records, sorted on the first column (Surname followed by forenames) and look for similar dates and birthplaces in later columns.

Once you have identified possible duplicates, use 'Merge/Compare records' from the Edit menu on the toolbar. This opens a Merge File dialog, which will show a detailed comparison of the records. For guidance on how it works, search in the Help files for 'record merging'.

Family records, whole branches and even whole gedcom files can be merged although in the latter case a lot of careful checking is involved.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks Lorna I will give it a try.

I am using FH for a one-name study and so I have lots of unconnected individuals. When a new piece of data becomes available I do a search for an existing person in my database and use the record if possible. But I have been getting some records by gedcom from other researchers and it would be nice if there was a ready way for auto report on suspected duplicates like other programmes have.

I suspect that i am going to have to look at a plugin or query for this as it is an important part of my use of any FT programme if I want to carry on using FH. AS seems like such a useful tool and I have tried it with other gedcoms and FT programmes with limited success.

I will stick with FH for now.

Thanks for your advice.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

'I have been getting some records by gedcom from other researchers and it would be nice if there was a ready way for auto report on suspected duplicates'
As mentioned previously, merging/comparing whole gedcoms is possible.  In this case the merge/compare dialog produces a full list of possible matches, suggesting which records to merge and which pieces of information from each to retain or discard.  You then need to go through the list accepting or changing the suggestions, according to your own judgment. This bit can be time consuming but it does mean that you are in control and if in any doubt you can retain potential matches as separate records until more evidence is available.

Have a look at Chapter 15 of the book 'Getting the most from Family Historian' (available in pdf form from the Help menu) called 'Compare, Merge, Split, Copy and Export GEDCOM Files'. This will give you an idea of what can be done.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Lorna,

Thanks once again for your help.

The underlying issue for me is that the name I am researching has several variants and I have found that they change between the variants as they age going backwards and forwards in spelling. It is what can make one-name studies a challenge.

I have downloaded the pdf and will put it on my tablet for some light reading [wink]

Thanks

Colin
Cambiz
Famous
Family Historian: None

Post by Cambiz »

Duplicate record checking is one the Wishlist.

Three times actually - #56, #250 and #471

No idea if it will be implemented but you could add your vote to them or comment on the oft-unvisited temporary list at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... pX2c#gid=0